Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

One Boot to Rule Them All?

I'm in the market for a new boot. Yes, I've searched. No, I'm not going to buy 2 sets of boots.

I need new boots. Coming from X-Wave 8.0's I can tell that the world of boots has dramatically changed. I should have upgraded to a stiffer boot a long time ago, but they worked or I adapted my style to them.

I want something that can day tour decently (subjective term I know) and will do okay in the resort.

I want swappable soles so I can use downhill bindings I currently have.

I'm not demanding race boot performance for downhill. I weigh 155#'s and 5,8 and my initial reaction to trying on something like a BD Factor 130 is that they are way to stiff for how and what I ski. Of course I'm coming from packed out 10 year old boots.

The Lange Cochise seems like it has a shitty walk mode. Something equivalent to the Factor's walk mode, even with it's drawbacks would suffice for my needs I think.

I'm thinking Factor 110? Anything else I should try on? Scarpa Typhoon?
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Titans come to mind

edit: I have done the one boot thing and IME one boot does not rule them all

its hard to recommend without knowing what is important to the end user but
    how beat are the waves, could you just get new liners and a dedicated touring boot ?

I wear a 25 or 25.5.

the cochise is technica, and the walk mode is amazing. it is almost friction less, and is about the same or bigger range as a lot of touring boots.
    fit is similar to the wave, maybe a bit smaller in the heel
    tech or DIN soles

(I have the 110, in 25, new in box for $550)

Read Marshalolson's detailed review of the cochise on blistergearreview.com before you rule it out. Between the 120, 120 light, 130 and 130 pro u should be able to find a flex that works for you. ...& fwiw I hear good things about the walk mode... & just bought 120s.

Edit to defer to Dave who has forgotten more about boots than I'll ever know... Listen to the man, he knows of what he speaks.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

i liked the walk mode on the Cochise (120); IMHO much better than the Titan.
    the cochise skied better as well.

however, i too have been down the "one boot to rule them all" road; i ended up going back to a dedicated downhill boot and one for tech binders.

edit: inbounds: dalbello scorpion sf130; tech binders: maestrale RS
    Last edited by pfluffenmeister; 11-27-2012 at 06:57 PM.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Due to fit requirements I use the cochise as my single boot. If I could, I would rather ski in an Atomic Redster 130 and Mastrale RS combo.

First choice: Technica Cochise

If that doesn't fit, the second choice would be suck it up and wait one more year for Scarpa to unveil their new "Freeride" boot line that they have announced is coming. I have high hopes that they'll basically take a Maestrale RS and put a swappable sole on it. Maybe my expectations are too high, but if they do that, they'll have an excellent quiver of one...

My bad, I looked at the Lange XT.

I will check out the Cochise.

I'm fairly confident that anything is going to be a giant step up from what I am in now.

I would try cochise, maestrale rs and vulcan.... And would let my foot to decide

FWIW, I just came from X-Wave 10 boots and am now into a Salomon Quest Max 120. Fit is great and seems much like my old boots.

It has the walk mode and interchangeable soles you are looking for.

Nevermind, the QM120 has a replaceable sole but not interchangeable. Good thing I know what I bought.

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    I would try cochise, maestrale rs and vulcan.... And would let my foot to decide
    Unless he feels like running dynafiddles in the resort, the Maestrale RS and Vulcan are out.

Cochise family or Titan are the two best options if they fit.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by char View Post
    The Lange Cochise seems like it has a shitty walk mode.

Does it now?

Try the Tecnica Sherpas instead. It's like two boots in one.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    Does it now?

Try the Tecnica Sherpas instead. It's like two boots in one.
    See my post above. I had my hands on another boot, the Lange XT.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Cochise family or Titan are the two best options if they fit.
    Agree with this. If I thought I could do it all with one boot, I'd go with the Cochise - two years ago, I would have gone with the Titan.

I only have a couple of days so far on my Cochise Pro 130's - but they're pretty much my dream boot at this point. The range of motion on the walk mode is just fine.

Fwiw, I've used extensively the maestrale rs with alpine bindings. But yes, I understand it's against the rules if the game :-)

Unless he feels like running dynafiddles in the resort, the Maestrale RS and Vulcan are out.
    Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    Fwiw, I've used extensively the maestrale rs with alpine bindings. But yes, I understand it's against the rules if the game :-)

????
    Isn't that an issue of which binding? For example, aren't the Fritsche Freeride and Marker Tour F12 touring boot compatible?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

If you've been reading recent cochise threads you already know the snowinn.com has the best price around... $451 - 5% (for code Coupon5) + $hp for 2 day international shipping by DHL... $491 and change to your door. Note: in stock same.day.ship, but only have sizes 27s and and up.

Full disclosure: maggots report a wide range of experiences with.snowinn.... Caveat emptor.

That said, I just bought a pair & will post my results on Monday.

Edit: %off was 5 not 20 - doh!
    Last edited by flatNshallow; 12-01-2012 at 10:16 AM.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    ????
    Isn't that an issue of which binding? For example, aren't the Fritsche Freeride and Marker Tour F12 touring boot compatible?
    From the OP:
    Quote Originally Posted by char View Post
    I want swappable soles so I can use downhill bindings I currently have.
    RS may work fine in some bindings (Sally for instance), but I doubt they'll work in ALL downhill bindings (FKS, etc). Just saying. Maybe some people feel comfortable shaving the vibram down and running them in all bindings, but the OP specifically mentioned swappable soles...
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

From the OP:I want swappable soles so I can use downhill bindings I currently have
    Hmmm. Interesting logic on your part then (suggesting new bindings...):
    All I mean to convey is that dynafiddles are not the only option; that there are other touring boot compatible bindings.

Or maybe I'm missing something.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 11-28-2012 at 02:53 PM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

????
    Correct - you can run Markers and Fritschi just fine with Maestrale RS and Vulcan (for other examples)

The stiffest boots in the AT game that might be able to be one boot to do it all now appear to be those two above and the Technica Cochise and Scarpa Mobe (have not tried that as they don't fit me but I trust marshal on that). Titan, Factor are not as stiff - close but not quite,

So get what fits you the best

EDIT - just saw auvgeeks post. He's right. You're limited by needing swappable soles

Hmmm. Interesting logic on your part then (suggesting new bindings...).
    Not sure where I suggested new bindings or used any logic other than sticking to the OPs req't of swappable soles.

Think I've added whatever value I can to this thread, so I'm out.

photos