Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WA mags; Steven's forecast update

There was an article in last week's Leavenworth newspaper, talking about the go-ahead for construction of the mountain bike park next spring, but how they are expecting a late start because...."the last winter with a la nina pattern similar to this was in 1955. That winter Steven's Pass received 850" of snow"
    Good God, I hope they're right. Better start eatin' your wheaties.
    Fuckin' shit up since 1964

Um, didn't you hear? Stevens isn't capable of that amount of snow. I posted that snow total awhile back in another thread and it was universally scoffed at. Remember kids, only Baker gets the snow, so go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Stikki View Post
    Um, didn't you hear? Stevens isn't capable of that amount of snow. I posted that snow total awhile back in another thread and it was universally scoffed at. Remember kids, only Baker gets the snow, so go there.
    My thoughts exactly

hahah im stoked!
    Last edited by stoepstyle; 10-17-2010 at 04:10 PM.

Don't worry. If SP ends up getting anywhere near 850", Baker will end up getting at least 1100" or 1200", so all eye's will be focused there anyway. Steven's will always live in the shadow of Baker...which is a good thing. Baker is pretty goddam sick, and has for-better-or-worse fallen under the spotlight of the ski magazines/videos. Stevens will stay empty on weekdays, and crowded with Seattleites on weekends, but will never be a destination area.
    Maybe Mission Ridge will have a 400" season. Except for an anemic annual snow-pack, that place reminds me so much of KookWood.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson Biggin's View Post
    Maybe Mission Ridge will have a 400" season. Except for an anemic annual snow-pack, that place reminds me so much of KookWood.
    Wouldn't that be some shit? I've ridden Mission for years but after wintering at both Baker and Stevens the shallow snow pack/basalt shark fins of death @ Mission scare the piss outta me. You learn to ride *light*

Here's to 2010/2011!
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible" -Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

If stevens get that kind of snow, George's rock will be the new Tye rock hahah
    i shred the gnar

Looking about 7 days out right is some promise. Significant snowfall down to 4600' predicted.
    Living vicariously through myself.

What is La Nina?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    What is La Nina?
    It's what you were yesterday while riding down " Limbo" at Port Angeles downhill mountain Bike shuttle.
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

It's the name of a boat.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

What is La Nina?
    It's a fabricated weather phenomena created by the Bush administration to dispel the "myth" of global warming, thereby excusing the US from joining the Kyoto treaty.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman50 View Post
    It's what you were yesterday while riding down " Limbo" at Port Angeles downhill mountain Bike shuttle.
    A dish best served cold?

La Nina is my new girlfriend. Let's hope that she gets along with the existing one.

Ha! That's what I always tell people, it reminds me so much of Kirkwood, except it doesn't have the flat runouts back to the lifts. I think in 05-06 Mission had over 300" and the coverage was fantastic, but last year seemed as good, weird.

O come on. Limbo is fun. Railage is way more fun, but limpo is still good to warm up on
    Live

warm up on!!!!
    After sliding down White Knuckle on my ass, I spent the rest of the day on Limbo trying to get down it without falling off.
    I fell off the fucking thing 10 times with PNWBrit right behind me doing a superman over the handlebars to left tit plant.
    We were both in over our heads on trail bikes and little skill.
    Great fun though.
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

Alpine style down hill mountain biking is going to be hudge.

"light and really fucking dangerous"
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

What is La Nina?
    It's the soup of the day.

warm up on!!!!
    After sliding down White Knuckle on my ass, I spent the rest of the day on Limbo trying to get down it without falling off.
    I fell off the fucking thing 10 times with PNWBrit right behind me doing a superman over the handlebars to left tit plant.
    Great fun though.
    Hahah nice one.

I ate shit hard on King Diamond going over the bars and driving my ribs into a tree. That and landing a little jump and discovering that I ripped the pedal out of my crank.

God I love that hill
    Live

King Diamond is pretty steep. I remember one spot in particular with an off camber entry chute-thing. There was a significant number of shredders there. I don't even know how how they make half of the jump lines. Speed required!

warm up on!!!!
    Great fun though.
    Sounds like a UK maelstrom.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Ha! That's what I always tell people, it reminds me so much of Kirkwood, except it doesn't have the flat runouts back to the lifts. I think in 05-06 Mission had over 300" and the coverage was fantastic, but last year seemed as good, weird.
    Since relocating from Meyers (s.tahoe) to LW, I've skied almost exclusively at Steven's....I've only skied Mission about 5 or 6 times, and have never hit it when it's good. But I've heard the stories of dry snow, and drooled over the volcanic bowls, chutes and cliff bands. Now that I have alternating weekends off work, I'll plan on skipping the Steven's crowds on Sat and Sun and check out Mission on the weekends (that place stays EMPTY).

What is La Nina?
    It's a prepubescent girl with a weather pattern named after her.
    "if it's called tourist season, why can't we just shoot them?"

Since relocating from Meyers (s.tahoe) to LW, I've skied almost exclusively at Steven's....I've only skied Mission about 5 or 6 times, and have never hit it when it's good. But I've heard the stories of dry snow, and drooled over the volcanic bowls, chutes and cliff bands. Now that I have alternating weekends off work, I'll plan on skipping the Steven's crowds on Sat and Sun and check out Mission on the weekends (that place stays EMPTY).
    Even when the snow is light, it's often trying to bond to the ice underneath. The one thing you almost never get there (that makes WA so goood) is truly bottomless conditions.

Since nice for a once in a while, and yes, the crowds have not invaded as yet.

I am la nina.

^^ Show us your tetons then.

Quote Originally Posted by nesta View Post
    It's a prepubescent girl with a weather pattern named after her.
    best response yet. genius.