Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Dimple in base after mount from a shop

hey guys,

Recently got a jskis and took it to a shop here locally in Calgary, AB to mount a brand new attack 14 AT bindings. Paid $65 for the mount.

Couple of days later I get a phone call from the shop tech saying that my skis are done but he had dimpled the skis.
    I am very appreciative that he disclosed that there was an issue with it. It is from the last 2 screws on heel piece of the bindings on both skis, although 3 of them are subtle (can see it but cannot feel it) one of them is also somewhat the same but you can feel it when you run your fingers across the dimple.

Any course of action here? Are the skis ok? will the dimple cause any issues?

Will be fine. A shop did that to a pair of my skis. They refunded me the mount fee, and did a free tune and wax. After the tune/slight grind, they smoothed out the dimple. I haven't had any problems with the ski since.

But DO ask for recompense.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Did they refund you and/or offer you anything to try to make up for it?

Dimple in base after mount from a shop

Mount should be free plus a free tune down the road. They need to pull those screws, heat the basses in that area and clamp those areas to press that dimple down. Do not let them just grind it flat. Then install proper length screws.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra_cement View Post
    Will be fine. A shop did that to a pair of my skis. They refunded me the mount fee, and did a free tune and wax. After the tune/slight grind, they smoothed out the dimple. I haven't had any problems with the ski since.

But DO ask for recompense.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    Not cool grinding down base on new, unskied skis. That reduces the lifespan of the ski.

Best solution is remove screws and either grind the screws down to proper length or replace the screws with proper length and roll the dimples out with a heat gun (carefully). It could also be the holes not drilled deep enough, but less likely that than wrong screws..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Thanks for the replies!

No, they still charged me the full $65 for the mount which is a bit disappointing given that there was a mistake made. I will see if I can contact the shop and hope for a compensation with the mount charge.

In all honesty I tried taking a photo of it and it is difficult to actually get on photo. Would this get any worst as the time goes on if I just let it be?

Def get them fixed or you'll be .003 seconds slower in your return to the end of the lift line. And that's about all.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Not cool grinding down base on new, unskied skis. That reduces the lifespan of the ski.

Best solution is remove screws and either grind the screws down to proper length or replace the screws with proper length and roll the dimples out with a heat gun (carefully). It could also be the holes not drilled deep enough, but less likely that than wrong screws..
    Will the dimple get worst if I leave it as is?

No. If you own a screwdriver you could remove one of the screws and measure it to see if that is the culprit.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Mount should be free plus a free tune down the road. They need to pull those screws, heat the basses in that area and clamp those areas to press that dimple down. Do not let them just grind it flat. Then install proper length screws.
    Quoting because this is the correct answer.

With the screw out a few hot waxes would probably get rid of that dimple IME, i think the time I did it the dimple went down with out clamping just heat of hot waxing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I’ll be the contrarian. Take the stone grind/tune. Not sure about J skis but many skis have pretty shit factory tunes with a lot not even being flat. Could be wrong, but I honestly don’t trust the Utopie factory to be great. Even good shops mess up, especially during the crunch month. They called you is a good sign. If you trust them, take a tune.

I'll also add that it is a good idea to check the screw length before you drop the skis off at the shop. Should compatibility be part of what the shop checks?

Assuming the screws are the right length the causes are most likely either not cleaning the hole after drilling or not properly assembling the heeltrack.

Before going pitchforks on the shop, best to figure out what actually happened.

They wont ski, don't try. Just burn them and sacrifice to ULLR.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I'll also add that it is a good idea to check the screw length before you drop the skis off at the shop. Should compatibility be part of what the shop checks?

Assuming the screws are the right length the causes are most likely either not cleaning the hole after drilling or not properly assembling the heeltrack.

Before going pitchforks on the shop, best to figure out what actually happened.
    I don't want to raise hell with the shop, hoping for a nice civil conversation regarding the issue and to see what actually happened.
    The tech seemed nice enough to show me the dimples, and to be honest I am not sure if I would have seen them if he did not mention them.

In the future, mount your own skis. Saves you from having precious gear screwed up by a shop rat who's likely chomping shroom sammies for lunch before handling your shit.

As far as your gear goes, I'd request a certificate that is good for a future grind and just ski them first. You might not even notice the dimples.

Blow me
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Blow me
    Is that an offer to trade sexual services for proper ski mounting?

Interested, I'll DM you

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

So you want to suck my cock?
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Is that an offer to trade sexual services for proper ski mounting?

Interested, I'll DM you

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Well, i knew this thread was bound to go off rails and here it is.

Especially considering buttah's eunuch

I own space in yer head, I love that.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Hahahahahahahaha....

That's the funniest post you've ever made.

Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    This. Otherwise they are shortening your life of base and owe you new planks. Arguably they owe wood.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.