Page 102 of 199 FirstFirst ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 4970

Thread: Trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Practical for what? I find myself on sketchy FS roads more often than I have the need for a 1500 pound payload/8000 pound tow capacity. But I agree, the mpg on midsize trucks seems lacking.

What year/engine is your GMC 1500? Because I drive a 500 miles highway lap 20 times a year in my 13 Silevrado w/5.3, and I rarely average more than 18mpg for the trip.
    Practical for things in which you actually need a pickup truck for. Load I just took to the dump would’ve been 2 trips with a small truck. Way more comfortable to ride in. Tacoma’s are uncomfortable and have a tiny window shield plus the stupid air intake one can barely see out of them. I’ve yet to find a fs road I can’t go on. Hell the lady’s outback can make it anywhere I’ve ever needed to go.

2019 5.3 base model, out the door for 33k. Been very impressed with gas mileage. Just waiting for the Covid madness in pricing and demand to die down and buy a slide in camper for it. Then I’ll have a sweet camping rig and a practical working truck. Like I said tacos are reliable but I don’t see the practicality in any smaller pickup truck, for things in which you actually need a pickup truck.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Tacoma’s are uncomfortable and have a tiny window shield plus the stupid air intake one can barely see out of them.
    I find mine comfortable, but you're right, lots don't. Agree on the stupid fake scoop. It often catches the sun and redirects it into your eye. There's even a whole hood swap thread on the tacoma forum. The small windshield cuts both ways. If the sun isn't bouncing off the scoop, I really like that it's generally above the top of my windshield. But it sucks not being able to see the traffic lights at really tight intersections.

Also agree that if you need a truck to carry a load, the taco ain't it. It's more of a toy that can carry some of your other toys.

People like driving and buy the Tacoma year after year which is really important for company trying to sell trucks, in mid sized PU's the taco is money, just look at the sales figures and keep in mind almost none of those truck buyers read TGR

be it a set of 190's or an enduro bike mine regualrly carries those huge loads and if i need to carry more I will buy a bigger truck

I used to expedite for a ski hut, 4 fat american skiers + gear (and a small azn driver ) fit fine
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    I've owned lots of Toyota pickups (2wd, 4wd, 2.2, 3.0, 3.4, 3.5) and they all got about the same mpg. High teens/low twenties. My wife had two outbacks and both were about 24 as well.

As for what people say, most don't really track it well enough to actually know, so grain of salt for sure.
    For what it's worth, I got high 20s in a couple of tanks with my 89, but that was a 2wd stick and those were outliers. Normally my right foot is too heavy for good mileage, plus there's the whole "driving up hills" issue. All in, I think there are far too many variables in use patterns to make any meaningful connection with anecdotal mileage data.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

I think pre-90 the Toyo's were lighter trucks with just a 4 cylinder ?

I got about 26 imperial MPG with a 5spd 3L V6 4-runer

about the same with a 5 spd 4 L ranger

A buddy just went by in his late model Tacoma, toddler in the car seat and an a huge load in the bed ... of bedding plants

For levity and to make ALL of you feel better, our new Land Cruiser got 6 mpg towing our offroad camper 200 miles. Yes, you read that correctly....6 mpg.

Granted, crazy stout headwind on an interstate and then windy, steep FS roads for 30 miles, but still....6 mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    For levity and to make ALL of you feel better, our new Land Cruiser got 6 mpg towing our offroad camper 200 miles. Yes, you read that correctly....6 mpg.

Granted, crazy stout headwind on an interstate and then windy, steep FS roads for 30 miles, but still....6 mpg.
    I got a smidge under 9 towing a 16' cargo trailer (enclosed) from Montana to Maine, with an F-150 that would probably have done the same trip, at the same speed, at 18-21ish without the trailer. Not that I would've gone as slow, but it's tough to beat physics.

Re: the Yotas, I think 85-94 was the same model, with the 22RE as the base engine and the V6 available at some point, maybe not at the beginning of the run. Getting on the interstate while loaded up was interesting.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

I think it was 88. The engine didn't change, just the wheelbase and sheet metal.

I've actually had three from that vintage: 90, 91 and 94

It's a sickness

Yeh, 22r in an '81, 22re in an '85, now the 3.8 in an '03. The fourbangers would get above 20s mpg, loaded high teens. The 3.8 is lucky to break the 20s, and loaded gets at best 12mpg. Dependable, but not inspiring.

Put some sumosprings in the toyhauler. Took less than an hour to replace the stock jounce. We'll see in June fish trip if they live up to the claim.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D149164D-4613-46FD-A09C-C772FEB092B5.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	622.9 KB 
ID:	375364

Name:	A565D73B-6E1C-4281-AACD-A137ABCF436D.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	588.7 KB 
ID:	375365

Wouldn't hurt to replace the stock shocks. Should've took a pic of the jackall in action. It hasn't been in the truck in years, so no GOTOS points.

I have been towing a 5x8 enclosed moto trailer with a RTT on top, Motorcycle inside, mountain bikes and camping gear too. I get 9-10 mpg. Is it perfect? No. But does it work? Yes. And I have a gas card from work that pays for it anyway. Towing with a 2020 Taco extended cab w/ manual transmission.

does it have enough brake when you need the brakes is my question, can it handle the trailer ?

which might be a different question than have you piled it up yet ?

22re 1988 4runner in manual got between 18-22.

Land cruiser with the 4.7l, cheap aftermarket muffler, and skinny roof box gets 11-14 mpg.

06 Toyota Matrix awd, gets 22-24mg.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    does it have enough brake when you need the brakes is my question, can it handle the trailer ?

which might be a different question than have you piled it up yet ?
    Trailer has brakes, single axle though. 2000+ miles so far. No issues with brakes whatsoever. (KOW).

It handles the trailer as well as one could expect. I use CC frequently even in hilly terrain.

Lifting the truck soon. Going with slightly stiffer springs just for towing but nothing crazy because it is a daily driver too.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Practical for things in which you actually need a pickup truck for. Load I just took to the dump would’ve been 2 trips with a small truck. Way more comfortable to ride in. Tacoma’s are uncomfortable and have a tiny window shield plus the stupid air intake one can barely see out of them. I’ve yet to find a fs road I can’t go on. Hell the lady’s outback can make it anywhere I’ve ever needed to go.

2019 5.3 base model, out the door for 33k. Been very impressed with gas mileage. Just waiting for the Covid madness in pricing and demand to die down and buy a slide in camper for it. Then I’ll have a sweet camping rig and a practical working truck. Like I said tacos are reliable but I don’t see the practicality in any smaller pickup truck, for things in which you actually need a pickup truck.
    Well now you have me questioning my decision to trade in my Chevy for a Tacoma next week . Maybe I'm doing mental gymnastics, but I thought about how many times I used/needed the full size for payload/towing in the past 8(?) years I've owned it. Like, how often do you actually go to the dump?

As far as FS roads, in the past 8 years I can only think of maybe 3 times that I wasn't able to continue, where I could have if I'd had a Tacoma, but I can think of many more times where I would have rather been in a Tacoma due to road conditions. I don't off-road as a hobby, but strictly to get places to camp/hunt/hike.

I still feel like I need a truck vs an SUV because I often haul wet/muddy/dead things that I don't want in the conditioned driving space, but the Tacoma bed seems big enough most of the time for those things. Everyone has their own math, yours seems right for you?

Whatever man. Throwing wet/muddy/dead things in a capped bed is the same as throwing them in the back of a 4Runner. Same when it comes to spraying out it. No difference at all.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Whatever man. Throwing wet/muddy/dead things in a capped bed is the same as throwing them in the back of a 4Runner. Same when it comes to spraying out it. No difference at all.
    Have you hosed out the cargo area of a 4Runner?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Have you hosed out the cargo area of a 4Runner?
    Check your sarcasmerator.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Guy with a half ton to do “truck” things looking for a slide in camper while saying a pickup with a shell is an SUV. Would like to check in in a few years to see what kind of slide in you get and how much fun it is to swap from camper to truck things on the regular.

I still feel like I need a truck vs an SUV because I often haul wet/muddy/dead things that I don't want in the conditioned driving space, but the Tacoma bed seems big enough most of the time for those things.
    This is literally the reason I own mine. You can't put a motorcycle in the back of a 4runner. Or a sheet or plywood. And if my dog(s) find something disgusting to roll in, I wouldn't want them in a 4runner. Same goes for rolls of sod.

I also take issue with the idea that putting a topper on it somehow makes you a poser that should've bought an suv. If you have a way to get it on/off solo, and room to store it, having a cap dramatically increases the versatility of the truck (especially the tall one). And the weight makes it better in the snow (where I'll admit, the 4runner has the advantage)

Plus, if it turns out the taco isn't for you, the resale is considerably higher than anything in its class.

I bought a new Tacoma V6 in 2000 and remember the fuel economy for it and the contemporary Ram 1500 V8 being about the same. Toyota trucks and their MPG have generally ranged from unimpressive to abysmal. But the MPG is at least unimpressive for several hundred thousand miles.

with the cap on a tacoma I can lock my bike in the back

my ranger had rubber floor mats so it was possible to hose it out

Went through this debate 6 years ago and ended up with an suv (land cruiser) and a small dumper trailer. I have 3 kids and 75lb dog. We’ve had ski days with seven on board. Been borrowing a larger trailer this weekend for some green waste runs. The whole trailer idea is a bit of a compromise compared to the simplicity of a truck bed, but it’s been working out ok. We also have a minivan that occasionally gets used for hauling cleanish stuff (eg furniture, plywood)

Name:	IMG_5857.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	375409

I honestly prefer a trailer over truck bed in most situations. Yeah, finding a place to put a trailer can be a PITA and it's one more thing to keep up with but the lower load height and lack of concern for scratches and dents is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Plus, if it turns out the taco isn't for you, the resale is considerably higher than anything in its class.
    There's this too. If it turns out I need the full-size, I'll wait two years and let them work out the bugs on the Tundra hybrid and trade out with very little loss.

There's this too. If it turns out I need the full-size, I'll wait two years and let them work out the bugs on the Tundra hybrid and trade out with very little loss.
    Through all this, it sounds like you just wanna burn some cash, get a Taco and be a Toyota fanboy now. NTTAWWT.