Page 32 of 45 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    Started this bad boy at 1:00 this morning. I typically wrap in butcher paper, but I think I’m gonna let this one ride nekkid.

Attachment 355936
    🤤. Fuck. Nice crisp on that 🤤🤤🤤

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Bringing this back up, especially as the weather gets better. I've been smoking all through the winter (can't stop, won't stop). Today was tri tip. Smoked 2hrs at 225 and finished with a sear on cast iron pan. Awesome. Kids downed it in 10 minutes.

Good lookin’ tri tip! I’m going to fire up a 22 oz bone in rib-eye on the green egg this evening

For my twins 11th bday
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5347.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	369101

Name:	IMG_5348.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	369102

Name:	IMG_5349.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1,000.1 KB 
ID:	369099Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5351.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1,005.4 KB 
ID:	369100

Smokers, grills, and BBQs. What are you cooking?

The smoked Tritip is an enigma to me... When I think of beef cuts for slow cooking... Tritip is at the bottom of the list.... Tritip is so good and so easy cooked fast over coal or better yet oak on a Santa Maria style grill... In my mind that’s THE way to cook Tritip. I wouldn’t think there is enough fat in that cut to survive that long at a lower cooking temp....

However the smoked Tritip is getting a lot of love these days... I guess I’ll have to try it..

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    The smoked Tritip is an enigma to me... When I think of beef cuts for slow cooking... Tritip is at the bottom of the list.... Tritip is so good and so easy cooked fast over coal or better yet oak on a Santa Maria style grill... In my mind that’s THE way to cook Tritip. I wouldn’t think there is enough fat in that cut to survive that long at a lower cooking temp....

However the smoked Tritip is getting a lot of love these days... I guess I’ll have to try it..

There's two ways to do it, and I have done both with my smoker. Cooking it medium rare on the smoker still keeps it juicy but adds the smoky flavor. Not too much different than a standard grilling. If you have the time, it works great.

Cooking it brisket style is a totally different taste/experience. It still retains a more "steak like" taste, but with a texture/mouth feel like brisket. You also don't have the fattier taste of brisket. I'm a brisket lover (as is my whole family), but tri tip brisket style has been a family favorite since we tried it. I would suspect my kids would take tri tip over regular brisket.

The guy at Costco got me with the upsell so now I'm working with a new smoker with all the fancy wifi stuff that I haven't bothered to set up yet. A couple cooks in and I like that it holds temp better and gets to temp much faster.

I’ve never tried tritip brisket style.

I put it in the smoker indirect no hotter than 250*-ish until about internal temp at about 115-120. Then, I reverse sear, either on a hot grill or at the stove to about 130*. It always turns out great.

The first recipe that I see for Santa Maria tritip describes searing and then indirect at temps between 250-300.

When I was just getting back into eating meat, 15 years ago, my family and i took a lunch break on a Sunday afternoon at one of the smaller municipal parks in Santa Maria. It was fucking awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    There's two ways to do it, and I have done both with my smoker. Cooking it medium rare on the smoker still keeps it juicy but adds the smoky flavor. Not too much different than a standard grilling. If you have the time, it works great.

Cooking it brisket style is a totally different taste/experience. It still retains a more "steak like" taste, but with a texture/mouth feel like brisket. You also don't have the fattier taste of brisket. I'm a brisket lover (as is my whole family), but tri tip brisket style has been a family favorite since we tried it. I would suspect my kids would take tri tip over regular brisket.

The guy at Costco got me with the upsell so now I'm working with a new smoker with all the fancy wifi stuff that I haven't bothered to set up yet. A couple cooks in and I like that it holds temp better and gets to temp much faster.
    New smoker huh?

Pics please.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    New smoker huh?

Pics please.

It's the Traeger Silverton 810. They were a few hundred off during the Costco event a few weeks ago. It's insulated so it holds temp really well. Yes, I know I need to power wash the concrete.

Any Seattle area mags interested in a Traeger at a good price, let me know. I'm selling my old one with an upgraded controller. Smokers aren't really something I need a quiver of.

It's the Traeger Silverton 810. They were a few hundred off during the Costco event a few weeks ago. It's insulated so it holds temp really well. Yes, I know I need to power wash the concrete.

Any Seattle area mags interested in a Traeger at a good price, let me know. I'm selling my old one with an upgraded controller. Smokers aren't really something I need a quiver of.

Wow. She’s beautiful.

Congratulations.

I’m most jealous of the little shelf in front.

Smokers, grills, and BBQs. What are you cooking?

Damn. Nice Phatty. I’m super jealous as well. What kind of traeger you moving on from? My Summit 470 grill just gave up the ghost so it got replaced with a Genesis se-335 yesterday. My smoker is a Costco traeger knockoff and thinking I could move that over to our beach place and upgrade the home front to your hand me down

Last edited by SeatownSlackey; 04-03-2021 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Wow. She’s beautiful.

Congratulations.

I’m most jealous of the little shelf in front.

Such a small thing but makes a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by SeatownSlackey View Post
    Damn. Nice Phatty. I’m super jealous as well. What kind of traeger you moving on from? My Summit 470 grill just gave up the ghost so it got replaced with a Genesis se-330 yesterday. My smoker is a Costco traeger knockoff and thinking I could move that over to our beach place and upgrade the home front to your hand me down

With the upgraded controller, it's effectively a Pro 34. I like the bigger ones, even if I'm not using all the space. Can fit a full Costco brisket with plenty of room. Puts on a nice smoke ring.

https://www.traegergrills.com/pellet.../pro/34-bronze

Tried something new today. Found a package of stew meat in the freezer and decided to try to make some burnt ends out of it. Normally stew meat is too lean and tough, but this was Prime and actually decently marbled. Smoked 3hrs at 185*, then covered and added some apple cider vinegar and cooked for 2 hours. Drained the liquid and sauced and cooked for 1 more hour. Turned out great. Not as tender as either brisket or chuck roast burnt ends, but a solid substitute.

Tried something new today. Found a package of stew meat in the freezer and decided to try to make some burnt ends out of it. Normally stew meat is too lean and tough, but this was Prime and actually decently marbled. Smoked 3hrs at 185*, then covered and added some apple cider vinegar and cooked for 2 hours. Drained the liquid and sauced and cooked for 1 more hour. Turned out great. Not as tender as either brisket or chuck roast burnt ends, but a solid substitute.
    I may be interested in subscribing to your newsletter

I got a Bridgestone Flat top for Christmas. Can't wait to use it! Anyone out there have any tips on what to cook?

Because I refuse to post in fuckface's thread, who DOESN'T use the grill, etc year round??? I make the kids shovel mine out so I can use it.

I'll use the oven a lot more in the winter because heating up the house isn't a concern, and when we're in an inversion I try to be a good citizen and not use the grill. But, for the most part there's not much seasonality to my grill use.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Because I refuse to post in fuckface's thread, who DOESN'T use the grill, etc year round??? I make the kids shovel mine out so I can use it.
    I saw that thread and was thinking, WTF? Then I saw the OP and it all made sense. I smoke more than grill now, but just filled 5 propane tanks to be ready for the "prime" grilling season. Now I just need to build my new deck to take it up a notch.

I find that the prime grade tri-tips have more marbleing/fat content that a typical choice grade tri-tip. Been using these for smoking the last couple years and they turn out great. If I am only going to smoke I'll let it go until it gets to about 135-137 and rest, sometimes I sear at the end a pull it a little sooner. Combine it with some of the Franklin's bbq sauce on the side is perfect. The safeway near me usually has prime tritpis for about 10 bucks a pound, half of what the snake river farms are per pound and I think they cook and taste much better.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

Took some prime chuck roast from Costco and made some "pulled beef". Turned out amazing.

https://heygrillhey.com/smoked-pulled-beef/

I didn't get any pics after I shredded the meat because it went too fast.

Took some prime chuck roast from Costco and made some "pulled beef". Turned out amazing.

https://heygrillhey.com/smoked-pulled-beef/

I didn't get any pics after I shredded the meat because it went too fast.
    Twins!!

Gorgeously delicious.

What better way to celebrate the mother of my child than to smoke some ribs and let her have a few.

The Traeger 3-2-1 method has been perfect. 3hrs smoke meat side up at 180. pull and wrap in foil, add apple juice, back on the smoker meat side down for 2 hours at 225. Pull out of the foil, coat in favorite sauce put back on meat side up for final hour. Sometimes I crank the heat the last 30 min to get some crisp on it.

Name:	Image1620611125.350844.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	217.0 KB 
ID:	374125

Name:	Image1620611146.842739.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	374126

Name:	Image1620611162.317470.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	208.1 KB 
ID:	374127

Looks tasty!

If you like 'em, rock on. But, 6 hours seems like a lot of cooking time for baby backs. I just do mine at 250 for 3.5 hrs uncovered the whole time time and they're great. Moist and good bark. Even for spare ribs I do the same thing but just add another hour. The one caveat I can think of is that I'm doing it on the E310 (propane) so the humidity is naturally higher than a traeger.