Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    YaBoyBlue ... did you end up on the line?
    I mounted -1 cm, and did a few groomer runs and a short tour this weekend. I’m super happy with how they pivot in about a foot of pow, and I can tell they are going to like to run when I get into some steeper sustained terrain later this winter.

The straight as hell tail was serviceable on groomers, and as soon as I leaned forward a bit the front sidecut would hook up. Nice.

There’s enough support on the front of the ski as long as I wasn’t on man made junk show groomers, so I’m happy with my somewhat impulsive decision to vary from Splats recommended line.

guys, help make important life choices for me

i'm gonna use this as a 50/50 resort/touring rig (realistically, i'll probably get more touring days on them)

helio 350? or tectons? i'm definitelty agonizing over this one a little too much

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    guys, help make important life choices for me

i'm gonna use this as a 50/50 resort/touring rig (realistically, i'll probably get more touring days on them)

helio 350? or tectons? i'm definitelty agonizing over this one a little too much
    Personally I would do tectons for anything I was going to ski at a resort even occasionally, but I didn't order this ski so I don't think my vote counts. They look sweet though!

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    Personally I would do tectons for anything I was going to ski at a resort even occasionally, but I didn't order this ski so I don't think my vote counts. They look sweet though!

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    Me too, on all counts.

Quote Originally Posted by swissbro View Post
    First runs on my Kusalas today. 2” of fresh on groomers. Pleasantly surprised how easy they are on the groomers back to the lift. And a bit of float when up to speed in the soft snow. Feels very intuitive and nimble considering their width with no tendency to hook. Easy to pressure the fronts.

Didn’t detune and mounted on the dot. Kudos to Keith and Pat.
    Good to hear, Ray!

Quote Originally Posted by YaBoyBlue View Post
    Attachment 352452 They’re stiff for a pow ski, but not more burly on a hand flex then a bodacious or head kore.
    Yeah you’re right. About the same as a Kore 105.

The hand flex def caught me by surprise. My 182 4 flex Qs never felt stiff by hand or on snow and the jump in stiffness on the Kusalas is real. Can’t wait for a proper Tahoe storm to get these out and see how that flex works with shape

Took mine out today for the first time. I didn't get many runs in, but a range of conditions -- groomers, ankle-deep on bumps, boot-top deep on soft-ish crud. I am really, really impressed. Not a groomer ski, but pretty good there nonetheless. They were fun on the powdery bumps, and just got awesomer as it got softer.

They remind me of the Lotus 138, but much more civilized and versatile.

Mounted on the dot. No detune or nothin'

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0348.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	356221

You were sitting on an unmounted pair, suit? Lol.

Oh......thought those were the 186s...whoops.

Anybody else getting into some pow on the new Kusala yet???
    Last edited by splat; 01-09-2021 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I’ve got a couple days touring on mine. They are enduro core mounted on the line for kingpins. I think I need more time to figure out the ski. So far they ski pow really well, but are a big, strong ski that are best in the open. I don’t know if it’s the center-ish mount, the flat-ish tail, or the uber stiff flex, but the ski is a bit of a handful in super tight terrain or less than ideal snow. I was expecting a little more versatile protest, but this thing is a different beast. I’m going to ski them a few more days before making any decisions on remounting. Everything about the ski says I should love it, so I might just need some more time on it.

You were sitting on an unmounted pair, suit? Lol.

Oh......thought those were the 186s...whoops.

I had two pairs of Lhasas. Broke one heli-skiing in Canadia, and the others are still my touring rig. I was super-bummed that I missed out on the Praxis Lhasa run, so I wasn't going to miss the Kusalas. I'm really glad I didn't!

Suit, I have a pair of 191 Lhasas from that run with a super minor overlap of the tip plastic over the sidewall that is only noticeable with a magnifying glass inspection. if you want, lemme know. They make the pow and shit chop awfully easy.

Suit, I have a pair of 191 Lhasas from that run with a super minor overlap of the tip plastic over the sidewall that is only noticeable with a magnifying glass inspection. if you want, lemme know. They make the pow and shit chop awfully easy.
    i am interested. pm incoming if you don't mind.
    swing your fucking sword.

I’ve got 4 days on my pair, enduro veneer mounted -1cm with shifts.

2 days of touring: day 1 was 1 foot of fresh over very thin coverage so quick instinctual turns were a must and the skis delivered. Very easy to toss around in a tight drainage to get the line I was wanting. Nice loose feel when chucked sideways. Day 2 was a refrozen sun crust on top of firmer pow, no gnarly hooking up or feeling railed on the crust. I appreciated the weight and rocker profile as I could slarve on top of the crust and have the weight to break into the softer goodness underneath without grabbing. What a great feeling and one that was repeated in the resort...

Resort day 1 was nearly the same, a hard(er) rain crust on top of some softer wind blown cream. If you could get through the crust you were making super fun turns, and the kusala was providing the goods. If I couldn’t get through the crust at lower elevations I still had a great ride kicking things sideways through some crusty mank and chunder. The more the crust got chewed up the better it got. Very fun slarve machine with a lot of support. Reminds me of a looser, floatier bodacious with a forward mount.

Resort day 2: hard AF groomers highlight how straight the ski is, I didn’t die getting back to the lifts. You have 2 choices, point it directly at the lift from where you’re done slarving and hope no children are in the way, or continue slarving slowly until arrival long after you would expect.

I told Mrs. Suit about this and she said "you have to get them!"

Shit chop here I come ...

I just mounted my 189 Kusalas (AKA Super Kusalas AKA Supersalas AKA Supasalas).
    @ -1.5
    Maple veneer with black Pivot14.
    Looks sick but can't post picks.

Headed to Wolf Creek for the ~2' weekend with them and their smaller brethren.
    (and a 191 Lhasa Pow as the skinny ski).

Nice! I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Kusalas. Weather in the PNW hasn't inspired me to mount my pair yet.

Ok, so after 4 days on my pair, I’m not feeling the Kusalas. I think the uber stiff flex and variable snow this year is the culprit. My renegades seem to do everything better, which has me bummed, cause everything about these should be rad.

Curious if anyone is interested in my pair. Enduro core, maple topsheet, mounted once for kingpins on the line for a 291mm boot. Will likely put them up on buy/sell next week.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Possibly interested - just sent a message tck

Quote Originally Posted by TCK View Post
    Ok, so after 4 days on my pair, I’m not feeling the Kusalas. I think the uber stiff flex and variable snow this year is the culprit. My renegades seem to do everything better, which has me bummed, cause everything about these should be rad.

Curious if anyone is interested in my pair. Enduro core, maple topsheet, mounted once for kingpins on the line for a 291mm boot. Will likely put them up on buy/sell next week.

Which renegade do you run?

Why people put pin toe bindings on heavy skis like this and the SG is beyond me. Bet if you put alpine binders, hell, even shifts you’d click a bit better.

.Name:  3f2.jpeg
Views: 596
Size:  35.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Which renegade do you run?
    Right now I’m rocking the green/black, but have also had a pair of OG ravens.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Why people put pin toe bindings on heavy skis like this and the SG is beyond me. Bet if you put alpine binders, hell, even shifts you’d click a bit better.

For the most part I would agree with you, but I never ski pin bindings inbounds. In pow, off resort the differences are much more negligible.

Quote Originally Posted by TCK View Post
    For the most part I would agree with you, but I never ski pin bindings inbounds. In pow, off resort the differences are much more negligible.
    Well sure but unless your local mountains get 500” of snow annually pretty sure we all navigate shit fuck conditions while sleuthing out the goods, but my point was more to why put a pin binder on HEAVY skis. If you’re only skiing fat pow, get a full carbon/paulownia ski that weighs <1800g.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Well sure but unless your local mountains get 500” of snow annually pretty sure we all navigate shit fuck conditions while sleuthing out the goods, but my point was more to why put a pin binder on HEAVY skis. If you’re only skiing fat pow, get a full carbon/paulownia ski that weighs <1800g.

1. Because this is TGR, and 2. It’s all about compromise. A big heavy ski will outperform a super light ski in every aspect but climbing. In my situation a kingpin isn’t exactly ultra-light, but is nearly the best of both worlds. But you are free to do as you please. :-)