Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    How hard would it be to do the memory fit shell molding on my own? I have a programmable convection oven big enough for a pair of boots at work so I can easily do the heating part, then stand in an ice bath to cool them. I would wear a toe cap and pad my lateral foot for more forefoot width. I have heat molded liners before with no issues so this doesn't seem to hard.
    I would normally do this through a shop but I can actually buy these in my size online and no-one local can commit to if or when they will have my size in stock.

If you go for it, make sure you stand on a flat, level, hard surface. Don’t overflex hoot boot. I’d probably use an gel or clay ice pad over the water.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    How hard would it be to do the memory fit shell molding on my own?
    Easy. I go 8-9 minutes at 235 F. in a convection oven with liners out. Stand on a hard and flat surface while they cool, don't walk around or flex the boots continually, just stand there with a slight flex at the knees (unless you want to try to reduce forward lean, then stand with legs straight). Don't put the shells in water. Salomon/Atomic provide shops with freezable gel wraps, but personally I think you get better results if you just let them cool at room temp - it only takes 14-15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Easy. I go 8-9 minutes at 235 F. in a convection oven with liners out. Stand on a hard and flat surface while they cool, don't walk around or flex the boots continually, just stand there with a slight flex at the knees (unless you want to try to reduce forward lean, then stand with legs straight). Don't put the shells in water. Salomon/Atomic provide shops with freezable gel wraps, but personally I think you get better results if you just let them cool at room temp - it only takes 14-15 minutes.
    Perfect, thanks for the info. I am thinking mold the shells with pads on my feet for lateral width and toe caps, then go back and mold the liners in a second pass with just the toe caps.

Next time I want a hot gear item I guess i need to buy it in october not november.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1431.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	944.5 KB 
ID:	218336

Still like the boots, but no idea why this happened today? I got to the top of a short boot pack and part of my 3rd buckle from the bottom was gone. It appears that the upper portion of the bail is bent into the pin that passes through that remaining part, so I guess it snapped? I did have the buckle flicked open for the hike, which is how I have always done it but maybe I will need to loosen and re buckle to protect it in the future?
    4th day riding lifts, 8th day total.

On another note, with the stock liners, the boot is probably a touch softer than I want it to be, but feels fairly progressive to me. With my old Intuition Pro Tongues, they seem perhaps too stiff, without enough forgiveness and progression. I'm still working on dialing it in to find Mama bear.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    How hard would it be to do the memory fit shell molding on my own? I have a programmable convection oven big enough for a pair of boots at work so I can easily do the heating part, then stand in an ice bath to cool them. I would wear a toe cap and pad my lateral foot for more forefoot width. I have heat molded liners before with no issues so this doesn't seem to hard.
    I would normally do this through a shop but I can actually buy these in my size online and no-one local can commit to if or when they will have my size in stock.
    Do you have to buy them at the shop that molds them? Seems you should be able to get boot work done at any boot fitter, especially if they sell the model. Might get charged more than boots through them for molding but I'd say safer that diy and they take the hit if they fuck up.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

I posted this in Gearswap but just thought I'd put it in here too.... I have a pair of brand new, not molded, not worn 26.0 Hawx XTD 130s that aren't going to work for me that I need to sell. Asking $700 including shipping.

Name:	DSC00909.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	617.5 KB 
ID:	218902

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Do you have to buy them at the shop that molds them? Seems you should be able to get boot work done at any boot fitter, especially if they sell the model. Might get charged more than boots through them for molding but I'd say safer that diy and they take the hit if they fuck up.

I bought online as I couldn't find them locally, I am also going to need a lot of width out of them. Plan is try the memory fit on my own as it looks pretty simple and take them to a shop for an additional punch if needed.

Just cooked up a pair this week at home. My only advice is to wear some gloves when you get them out of the oven.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    My only advice is to wear some gloves when you get them out of the oven.
    Yes, Atlas Nitrile gardening gloves FTW. Unless you have connections and can land some of the black and orange Atomic ones.

gregL said this in a GripWalk thread-

"When you end up buying a customer a new ski because the combination you said would work doesn't (in this case a Hawx Ultra XTD with Griffon SoleID) it becomes more than annoying."
    Can you expand on this? What didn't work?

The local Marker Rep told me that Sole Id is compatible with WTR .

I have a pair of skis with Squires on them that will get Shifts next year. Would like to use these skis with XTD boots this year without drilling another set of holes in them. Would love to just throw some Sole ID toe pieces on them for now. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Despite saying the Marker SoleID works with all 9523 soles (which is broad and includes grip walk and WTR, and many other backcountry boot soles) the Toe doesn’t have enough height adjustment to cleanly sit the Hawx XTD Toe, due to the thickness of the rubber. It does work with a Lange Freetour WTR however. So either the XTD sole is thicker than they say it is, or the Marker Sole ID doesn’t adjust like they say it does.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    I posted this in Gearswap but just thought I'd put it in here too.... I have a pair of brand new, not molded, not worn 26.0 Hawx XTD 130s that aren't going to work for me that I need to sell. Asking $700 including shipping.

Name:	DSC00909.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	617.5 KB 
ID:	218902
    So like pretty much retail with no ability to warranty possibly? Hmm.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    deputy dog
    from the price police
    in da thread
    where you seeing these for 7 bills at?
    got a few days on these bad boys
    stoked so far
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    deputy dog
    from the price police
    in da thread
    where you seeing these for 7 bills at?
    got a few days on these bad boys
    stoked so far
    Telemark Pyrenees had em for 661. Other outlets for 799 including level nine where you work. 99 off isn't that great a deal.

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/ato...BoCwysQAvD_BwE

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    gregL said this in a GripWalk thread-

"When you end up buying a customer a new ski because the combination you said would work doesn't (in this case a Hawx Ultra XTD with Griffon SoleID) it becomes more than annoying."

I have a pair of skis with Squires on them that will get Shifts next year. Would like to use these skis with XTD boots this year without drilling another set of holes in them. Would love to just throw some Sole ID toe pieces on them for now. Your thoughts are appreciated.
    keep the boots ditch the shitty binders
    100 bucks is 1 intuition to replace them, well ive been known to throw a wet sock with the whippy stick and theyre slightly better, liners
    and as far as warranty I bet someone in this community would help attempt to facilite a 2nd owner replacement of a high dollar manufacture defect
    you should defiantly not buy his pair and goober up the thread getting your price po po on
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Our techs in two different stores mounted Griffon Sole.ID bindings with Hawx Ultra 130 XTD's and found there was insuffient toe height (meaning the AFD didn't go low enough) for the combination to function properly.

The Colorado Marker rep was present to witness one of these mounts and concurred.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    So either the XTD sole is thicker than they say it is, or the Marker Sole ID doesn’t adjust like they say it does.
    It also has to do with AFD pad placement and angle relative to toepiece AFD. As I've said before, the boot and binding makers need to get together and agree on some standards, then produce some testing sole blanks that can be verified in new bindings. I believe such a meeting is planned around the time of ISPO.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    keep the boots ditch the shitty binders
    100 bucks is 1 intuition to replace them, well ive been known to throw a wet sock with the whippy stick and theyre slightly better, liners
    and as far as warranty I bet someone in this community would help attempt to facilite a 2nd owner replacement of a high dollar manufacture defect
    you should defiantly not buy his pair and goober up the thread getting your price po po on
    Hey I'm bored and mentioning your overpriced gear swap thread in tech talk seems kinda poor form to me. But yeah....bored...sorry.

Anywhere I can get a good deal on the 120 or 130 version? Telemark Pyrenees has the 130 at about $660, but that's still a bunch of $ for a boot.

I tried on a 27.5 130 and it seems like a good match for my feet - definitely shaped better than the Dynafit One I'm currently using.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

El Chup they are in really short supply. What's in shops are what in shops and it's a boot of the year.

If Europe had a poor snow maybe there'd be chances but it's unlikely

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Just bought my local ski shops last pair of 26's one pair of 27's left, Alpine Options @ Sugarbush VT. I'm coming off mountain labs, night and day for me. Had them molded with some padding in place on my usual hot spots. If I skied were I d not have to deal with hard pack these would be my daily driver.

Sent from my XT1254 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    El Chup they are in really short supply. What's in shops are what in shops and it's a boot of the year.

If Europe had a poor snow maybe there'd be chances but it's unlikely

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Just hard to spend that much on boots, knowing that they'll be available for lot less in a couple months...
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Dammit. Trigger pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Just hard to spend that much on boots, knowing that they'll be available for lot less in a couple months...
    Potentially a ton I think since the good snow is only flying in a few places. Best to wait I imagine.