Fishing in Jackson

My wife and I are on our annual trip to Jackson, now that we have kids this trip has been a focus on relaxing as much as skiing. So we scheduled around the concerts this weekend. Snow looks less than exciting for paying window prices. Having looked at the forecast I brought as much fishing gear as ski gear. Im looking to get out and do a little fishing. Not looking to find a free guide but just looking for some insight on where to go.

Thanks in advance, obviously have not done any research and hoping to be spoon fed info.

With all these warm nights, low elevation run off has started; Snake tripled in volume over the last week. South Fork is also running high from water releases. When the Snake is muddy, the majority of Jackson anglers go over to the mellow waters of the Henry's. Flows remain stable and the fishing has been good on the lower Henry's between Ashton Dam and the mouth of the Fall River but that's a 90 minute drive from J-Hole. Mostly midges but bwos should be starting soon, if they haven't already.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 03-16-2017 at 08:10 AM.

All of Jackson was on the Hank yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    All of Jackson was on the Hank yesterday.
    You could have been chucking streamers on the Teton. I've done well; quality over quantity, nothing smaller than 15", averaging one hookup per hour. Got a 19" bucket brown, my first ever in the Teton.

Hell, there were as many 15 anglers wade fishing between the antennae hole and the dam a month ago on a week day. 20 years ago, there might be 2 or 3 guys on the entire lower Henry's on a nice day in February. The river was almost devoid of anglers until the march browns hatched and there were no crowds until salmonflies. Not anymore... At this point, you want a little elbow room, you'll have to fish in the rain. See any bwos yet? Spring bwos like rain.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 03-16-2017 at 09:43 AM.

My home water is the front range in denver (deckers,cheeseman, dream stream) I use to crowds. I saw the snake was high on the drive in. The go to at home when the Ayer is high is pat's, SJ worm, or streamers tight to the bank.

Snow looks less than exciting?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    You could have been chucking streamers on the Teton. I've done well; quality over quantity, nothing smaller than 15", averaging one hookup per hour. Got a 19" bucket brown, my first ever in the Teton.

Hell, there were as many 15 anglers wade fishing between the antennae hole and the dam a month ago on a week day. 20 years ago, there might be 2 or 3 guys on the entire lower Henry's on a nice day in February. The river was almost devoid of anglers until the march browns hatched and there were no crowds until salmonflies. Not anymore... At this point, you want a little elbow room, you'll have to fish in the rain. See any bwos yet? Spring bwos like rain.
    Pretty cool on the brown, a few BWO's though mostly midges. Obvious spots were busy, lower river was empty as usual. Pulled an underoos and Euro nymphed, streamer bite wasn't bad either. Will have to drag some meat around the Teton, now that I'm funemployed until May.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Pulled an underoos and Euro nymphed
    Pffft. Not surprised.

I caught a bunch on hoppers today.

Hey, there's a thing going down on 4/20 below Font. Dibs is kind of the ringleader. You should come on down.

Fishing in Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    Pffft. Not surprised.

Hey, there's a thing going down on 4/20 below Font. Dibs is kind of the ringleader. You should come on down.
    Really? Dibs is the ringleader of a 420 thing? Nah. Don't believe it.

Contemplating a Thermop run next wknd if anyone in my area wants to join.... (paging Teleee). Could be convinced to go to Fonty too.

Edit: forgot....Matt - water is up in the JH area as started above. If we get some seasonably cold nights, the Snake will fish. With the flows at 2850 outta that dam, it takes some effort to find good wading considering the snowpack still on the valley floor. Plenty of clear water right below the dam.

There are other waters here but they can be hit or miss. Cross your fingers for cooler nights if you want to fish on this side.
    Last edited by schwerty; 03-17-2017 at 10:05 AM.

Ha Dibs putting together a 420 is indeed a shocker! Dude, I would love to make a Thermop run! You thinking the weekend of the 25th and 26th?
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Pffft. Not surprised.

I'll put it on the radar, have a training the 22nd I'll need to be back for, otherwise I'm funemployed for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Ha Dibs putting together a 420 is indeed a shocker! Dude, I would love to make a Thermop run! You thinking the weekend of the 25th and 26th?
    Yup. Family leaves for Denver on 3/25. Was thinking about following them outta town on the 25th and being back Sunday night. I'm easy tho. Could fish anywhere.

Got a little free time today and parked at the Emily something lot and walked North. SRA gave me some good info for heading further out but it wasn't in the cards. After nymphing without any luck for a little I decided to start throwing streamers. Ended up getting a take but after so long without a strike I was not paying attention so half ass hook set left me without a fish in hand.

In the end it was the first time out with a new stick so I enjoyed getting out on the river with it. Floating the Miracle Mile next week.

Pffft. Not surprised.

Bumping this up. I think I am in. At least for a Friday, Saturday kind of thing. Since I don't prescribe to the other site, I can bring a boat and will most likely drag my camper along.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1490047077.071316.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	988.2 KB 
ID:	202884

Schwerty, I think I am out for this weekend, my parents are coming into town.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

No sweat, Teleee. We will get plenty of days on this yr.

what's the deal with this 420 thing? I want in on that too.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    what's the deal with this 420 thing? I want in on that too.
    I will shoot you a text! Underoos hit me up, they are planning a 4/20 run. Lets coordinate.

Schwerty I am coming up soon. Getting settled into my new place and life has kept me occupied but its getting close to getting my fish on!

Bump. We are headed for Driggs tomorrow. Curious how nearby streams are doing and what flies are being used?

The Teton is clear and fishing well. It's much higher than normal for the season. It's starting to get a bit warm on the hottest days but nothing like it does in a low water year. You can expect to see some scattered pmds and sallies in the daytime, caddis and rusty spinners in the evenings, terrestrials are coming on strong, possibly winged cinnamon ants too but its kind of early for that. Expect to see a fair amount of play boat traffic on hot days. Fishing the magic hours will avoid that. Some parts of the Valley can have good morning trico action and then go dead by 10am. I did really well in the canyon with small streamers a few days back when we had a dark cloud day. A few golden stones and sallies remain in the canyons along with lots and lots of deer flies. The larger creeks like Bitch and Palisades are still in prime shape but dropping fast. Chanterelles and porcinis are up if you are into foraging; picked about half a gallon of chants last night for dinner.

The Henry's was fished mercilessly for three straight months due to high water everywhere else. Expect very wary fish. The crowds, however, have mostly shifted over to the South Fork. It's big mayfly cycle is over by now. Expect scattered pmds and terrestrials midday. Caddis and rusty spinners in the evening. Tricos should show up soon and that can be a thick hatch/spinner fall, if you are on the water very early. Maybe some isolated and sparse mahogany dun hatches. Slow water sections, like the Railroad Ranch and parts of the lower below Ashton have a callibaetis hatch and spinner fall. If you go, plan to fish the Henry's at the magic hours (or a really cloudy day) for best results in August.

The South Fork finally dropped to reasonable levels but it's still a tough wade. Need a boat to make it worthwhile. If you have a boat and can manage to elbow your way onto some riffles, expect pmds and pink alberts. Expect stiff competition for good riffles, though, as the guides and local anglers alike have been waiting two months for the SF to come into shape for dry fly. As always, rainy days are streamer days on the SF.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 07-29-2017 at 11:12 AM.

Connie's Pond is on fire!

Yeah, don't forget to bring those "golden persuasion" flies to Connie's pond.

Tribs on the JH side are high but clearing. Most are fishable. Flat creek/most spring creeks/blackmail ponds area open 8/1.

Thanks for all the info! sounds decent out there.

Sent from my SM-G920P using TGR Forums mobile app