Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    We went three years(?) without any updates in >110 skis from the major manufacturers. This year we have two, I think. Salomon @112, and Head @ 111. I no longer have good access to NA sales numbers for many brands, but my guess is they really aren’t seeing a reason to put resources there.

Those numbers referenced above likely don’t include the small number of skis sold direct by Moment/4FRNT/ON3P who likely account for a more sizable chunk of the wide skis sold given their smaller market numbers.
    That's not totally fair, depends on where companies are at in their R&D cycle. But recently from the majors, we've had D-star M Free 118s, Rossi Sender Squads (Gamer is just a rebadged BO 118), K2 Mindbender 116, reckoner 112 and 122, Sollie Blanks, Volkl Revolt 121, I guess 115 Free is just a slightly updated version of the enforcer pro, but I wouldn't say there's nothing new under the sun.

I would very much like to know what market share the indies have of the uber-fat category; if this forum is any indication it's substantial.

110mm+ skis are predominately sold:
    (a) store employees
    (b) proform
    (c) heli/cat operation fleet

Even in the hay day of S7 and JJ selling by the truckload, this waist width was well <10% of all skis sold at retail.

so, back to the OP, correct, no (retail) customer buys skis over 110mm (in park city).
    Last edited by Marshal Olson; 10-02-2021 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    110mm+ skis are predominately sold:
    (a) store employees
    (b) proform
    (c) heli/cat operation fleet

Even in the hay day of S7 and JJ selling by the truckload, this waist width was well <10% of all skis sold at retail.

so, back to the OP, correct, no (retail) customer buys skis over 110mm (in park city).
    Everything is a bell-shaped curve right?

This happens in the cycling industry as well; high end bikes and apparel sell less than the middle, but offer a of influence.

Most people like to talk about the biggest and baddest, but then put on something more middle of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    This happens in the cycling industry as well; high end bikes and apparel sell less than the middle, but offer a of influence.
    Most people like to talk about the biggest and baddest, but then put on something more middle of the road.
    So you're telling us your screen name is a misnomer, and all your bikes are not full XTR and DuraAce?

The days of &gt;110 underfoot pow skis are gone...

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    in park city.
    I guess I missed this being part of the OP
    This thread makes way more sense now. Even my beloved hoji’s get shelved for park city in favor of more carvability.

My husband frequently says to me, “We want xtr, but we should probably get xt”
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    So you're telling us your screen name is a misnomer, and all your bikes are not full XTR and DuraAce?
    Shimano makes something that’s not XTR or Dura Ace?

Hard to motivate to grab ANY skis off the shelf to go ski Park City

Much fun can be had at PCMR with a quality pair of fat rock skis.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

At least for 3-5 turns before schussing a drainage.

While I have bought a few bikes with XT I only had XTR on one bike that I picked up used, IME if XTR comes on a bike great but I wouldn't spend the extra $$$

rocking the NX right now on an E-bike, you can only shift one gear at a time, SRAM or Santa CRuz are protecting me from myself but with all that power it doesnt really matter what gear I'm in

any body ever put one of them Avid roll-a-ma jigs on their bike ? Those things were the shit cuz they reduced stiction to make a big difference in shifter performance for < 10 $, they also prolonged shift quality because most of the bad shifting comes from that 9" of cable before it goes into the DER when it corrodes, I have changed just that 9" of housing on a bike and noticed a big difference in shifting
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    I think you mean the Apache Recon.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    Ha. I still see at least one pair of those riding the lifts on groomer days. I sold mine a couple of years ago, got $25, bindings including.

OTOH the most popular wine on the menu is the second cheapest.

crew chief at the olympics in Whis would say at dinner every night " I will have a glass of your cheapest red wine please "

one night the waitress said " well we got the merlot or the Cab sav and they same price ?"

to which buddy said " I don't care mix them , i can't tell the difference "
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Can’t argue with that….

I rip the groomed on tele gear

I like powder skis

Quote Originally Posted by HotSchmoo View Post

As others have said a big ski can turn garbage maritime mank chunder breakable etc into tolerable or even enjoyably fun conditions.
    Even a wide, soft ski?

I ski katanas and they with great in bad snow but i always wondered how a soft ski would do.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Even a wide, soft ski?

I ski katanas and they with great in bad snow but i always wondered how a soft ski would do.

I dunno.
    Said Protests are 4-flex praxis scale

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Even a wide, soft ski?

Depends. In unbroken Sierra cement soft wide skis (Atomic Automatics) are in their element, even more than in powder. Once things get cut up and bumpy they tend to be a rough ride. If you've got the legs for it great. I don't.

I'll think of this next time I am bombing down Stein's, or Xfiles or Daly #4, or West Side of Jup., or north facing 999o
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

You'll have plenty of time to think while you're in that drainage

You'll have plenty of time to think while you're in that drainage
    One man's drainage is another man's couloir.

The days of &gt;110 underfoot pow skis are gone...

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    You were up above it
    Now you're down in it
    What El Chupacabra said^^^^

You will feel faster and smoother on top cuz it is. You still sink in which is ski dependent imo with flex, waist width and your style being factors. But I get it with the in it crowd. Just bring the pow and rip it anyway ya want cuz theres no wrong way just less work and different sensations.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums technical jong move gotta own it… meant to reference who El C was referencing … Dshack89’s question.
    Last edited by Crystal Skier; 10-03-2021 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    Nothing worse than day with nice light shallow powder that doesn't quite keep you off the floor. Go fatter and suddenly you are dancing instead of slarving. I also love my 117 waisted Keepers in heavy slush and even rotten snow. Good to have another tool in the box when the going gets weird. Just because the major manufacturers don't find a niche ski financially viable doesn't mean it ain't useful.
    Exactly ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I think it's pretty obvious that the death of the wide ski was brought about by a singular revolution in ski design. A ski that so competently excelled in a wide range of conditions that it rendered any powder specific ski completely unnecessary. A ski that trenched groomers with such aplomb that it eviscerated any need for a dedicated carving ski. A ski that decimated the entire mountain with such grace and agility that dictionaries were revised to remove the word "quiver."

That singular revolution was, of course, the Salomon BBR.
    I lulzed. Well played, sir. Well played.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    You were up above it
    Now you're down in it
    ^ Fellow gen-X'er sighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Funny story: I started using this back in the days of AOL Instant Messanger. I wanted ExtraPickels, but it oddly was taken, so I shortened it to XtrPickels. At that point in time, I didn't own a single Shimano product...

And let's be honest, my bikes have whatever is available on them at the moment.