Page 32 of 64 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hikesalot View Post
    If they were POC the cops probably wouldn't have even pulled them over. Domestic Violence? ah, let it go. Anything else, straight to jail.
    I said if the DUDE wasn't white.. Just the dude.. 911 call about black man hitting pretty white girl.. She's vanished and he's back at his parents house with her van..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

IAS, I don't actually think you're a douche or a misogynist. I think you have interesting insights, are a great writer, a horrific childhood experience, seem like a good guy. And I don't know your inner thoughts/feelings, etc. And yes, internet comments can be misunderstood. I do also think that "misogynistic comments" can be made without one being a misogynist. OR, maybe being a written comment, can come across as misogynistic. And I think that's what Salve/mtng brings up. It's kind of like maybe I made a racist comment above (?), when I really identify as being anti-racist. I mean, I have a "Human Kind, be both" garden flag in my front yard, with "black lives matter" included on it. But knowing I've grown up in a racist society, maybe some of my statements could still come across as racist? I need to continue to learn that my inherent bias may be there. And I need to learn and correct that. So in the same vein, it's possible for males to say misogynistic comments without intending it to be so. Women have been marginalized in society, so males grew up with that and need to continue to learn when that bias comes across and correct it.

Am I making any sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Come for the poo-slinging, Save a fortune on a plumber.

I completely agree with all of the assertions people have made about the unfairness of missing minority women and what you are saying about his race being different. 100%. But I don't think the entirety of this case is that of a "missing white woman" but from having access to the 911 call, the traffic stop, so many photos from their IG, and the way the story has unfolded in "real time". At least I hope that's what bothers me about it.

There are some reports in the media today where a waitress and a couple have come forward to report a huge fight at a restaurant between them. Most people have a tendency to put their heads down in meatspace when things don't directly concern them, but maybe there's nothing wrong with asking a stranger if something is wrong.

When I was a camp counselor a long time ago I had a kid with black eye in the group. When I asked about it, he gave me an answer that I didn't follow up on, I can't remember, fell down the stairs, whatever. A janitor saw it about fifteen minutes after me and sat him down, dived a bit deeper. This poor kid had bruises under his shirt, his dad was wailing on him. Cops were at the house that day and I really hope it helped make a difference for him. It's a hard lesson to learn, when to pry.

Not to mention that I have another friend whose dad killed her mom and then himself when she was about 13. Were there some tough questions someone could have asked there before it happened? Probably.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

So I was thinking innocent until proven guilty.

Then I just saw a news item that he was arguing with the waitress at MERRY PIGLETS!!

Who does that?
    A sociopath

Guilty I say!
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    So much drama, c'mon. A lawyer needs to chime in with some truth here, but even I know you can't arrest someone for a missing person when there is no proof she is hurt, dead, or anything like that.

You know the cops and FBI would LOVE to pick that guy up the day Gabby was reported missing, tie him to a chair, and beat him up until he talks. But they had zero evidence to get an arrest warrant with a judge, so they were stuck being 'incompetent'.
    Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    The only thing that really chaps my ass about the LE response was that they didn’t put a watch on the house. Nothing illegal about that to my knowledge. You’d just think they would have the forethought to do it as soon as they found out she was missing and he was at home.
    Exactly, east. Hey muted. I didn't say they had to ARREST the guy. It isn't illegal to simply keep an eye on him AFAIK. Is it?

IAS, I don't actually think you're a douche or a misogynist. I think you have interesting insights, are a great writer, a horrific childhood experience, seem like a good guy. And I don't know your inner thoughts/feelings, etc. And yes, internet comments can be misunderstood. I do also think that "misogynistic comments" can be made without one being a misogynist. OR, maybe being a written comment, can come across as misogynistic. And I think that's what Salve/mtng brings up. It's kind of like maybe I made a racist comment above (?), when I really identify as being anti-racist. I mean, I have a "Human Kind, be both" garden flag in my front yard, with "black lives matter" included on it. But knowing I've grown up in a racist society, maybe some of my statements could still come across as racist? I need to continue to learn that my inherent bias may be there. And I need to learn and correct that. So in the same vein, it's possible for males to say misogynistic comments without intending it to be so. Women have been marginalized in society, so males grew up with that and need to continue to learn when that bias comes across and correct it.

Am I making any sense?
    Blah blah blah…

Chick talking…I totally zoned out

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!

Yes. Sense totally made. High five!

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    It’s become a thread of assumptions mirroring a case of assumptions. Setting odds of small assumptions vs massive assumptions. Assuming our assumptions about other people’s assumptions about what the reporters assumed about what the cops assumed are assumed correctly.

It’s like the forum got a tattoo of an ass with an ass tattoo on its ass.
    Attachment 386351

Making assumptions about each other.
    The ass is me
    the ass is you
    Don’t eat ass
    it’s where we poo
    This post sums up the last couple of days of this thread.
    There’s some real competition in the Leap To Conclusions event

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    The only thing that really chaps my ass about the LE response was that they didn’t put a watch on the house. Nothing illegal about that to my knowledge. You’d just think they would have the forethought to do it as soon as they found out she was missing and he was at home.
    Not from the states but afaik, in many countries (and counties/states) to be allowed for putting one under surveillance is highly regulated and require permission (by court). It could be that there has been wrangling & wrestling behind the scenes where feds and local police have actually sought that but been denied or the process has been too slow. Who knows, but that will be one of the elements that will come to light and be duly disseminated in the coming months. It is also highly resource intensive to have someone under 24/7 surveillance and requires a lot of (competent) personnel to begin with.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!

Yes. Sense totally made. High five!
    . I you YM (that's a heart...the TRG doesn't recognize it i guess, surprise)

Quote Originally Posted by Salvelinusconfluentus View Post
    I think I saw that there were initial reports of her being buried but that she was not buried and found in a grove of trees.

He killed her. There isn't another solution that doesn't require massive assumptions.
    He moved her body across the creek from where her van was videoed. Spread creek literally "spreads out" as it exits its canyon and runs over the meadows to the river. Its seasonal floodplain is appx 500-700ft of loose cobble and braided side channels. I think they used to quarry gravel there once. On the other side, it's just a huge field of overgrazed scrub. Might still have grazing leases. But, there are no trails over there and certainly no reason for campers to cross hundreds of feet of loose rock to go to an uninviting tangle of arid sage. The riparian trees prevented campers from seeing across the 600ft to the large flock of birds squabbling with the coyotes.

No, the scumbag didn't bury her, he left her out for the scavengers. Preliminary identification was probably made off of clothing and the hair scattered around the site. Robust big game populations means we have robust and aggressive populations of scavengers here.

Blah blah blah…

Chick talking…I totally zoned out
    I laft.

Hikesalot is spot on even with my post right now. It's making fun of a classic misogynistic statement that can come across as misogynistic when truly not being misogynist at heart. The same can be said for racist comments that are said in jest, probably should not be said at all...ever.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I laft.

Hikesalot is spot on even with my post right now. It's making fun of a classic misogynistic statement that can come across as misogynistic when truly not being misogynist at heart. The same can be said for racist comments that are said in jest, probably should not be said at all...ever.
    but i knew he was joking so i laughed too.... i'm not an extremist by any means. But some things take chipping away at to correct inherent bias shit, blah blah blah

but i knew he was joking so i could laugh too.... i'm not an extremist by any means. But some things take chipping away at to correct inherent bias shit, blah blah blah
    I've been called "guero", "gringo", and "mick". Which the latter two were/are somewhat derogatory, but they never fazed me. Maybe because I'm a white guy, but when the first two were spoken I was the only white guy around. The old sticks and stones thing...but again I'm white. I don't know what it's truly like to marginalized.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post

You can thank SCOTUS for most of the problem when they decided that non-natives cannot be prosecuted for violent crime against natives on Tribal land (Oliphant vs Suquamish Indian Tribe 1978)
    What? How can this possibly be a thing? This makes even less sense than the remote area where you can effectively get away with murder.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    What? How can this possibly be a thing? This makes even less sense than the remote area where you can effectively get away with murder.
    His post isn't 100% accurate. What SCOTUS ruled was that the tribe couldn't prosecute a non Indian, that it was the province of the federal government in that event. So there is still a law enforcement entity that can prosecute.

Functionally, though, the federal government is stretched thin and crimes on reservations are not usually top priority.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    There is a really disturbing fictional movie based on multiple real-life situations on Tribal land dealing with rape and murder. It's disgusting. I don't recall the name of it but it did involve white oil workers that someone had posted about earlier.

There is a really disturbing fictional movie based on multiple real-life situations on Tribal land dealing with rape and murder. It's disgusting. I don't recall the name of it but it did involve white oil workers that someone had posted about earlier.
    Wind River maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    His post isn't 100% accurate. What SCOTUS ruled was that the tribe couldn't prosecute a non Indian, that it was the province of the federal government in that event. So there is still a law enforcement entity that can prosecute.

Functionally, though, the federal government is stretched thin and crimes on reservations are not usually top priority.
    OK, thank you for clearing up my generalities...

If interested, this piece was broadcast a year ago, and again just a couple of days ago.
    https://www.npr.org/2020/08/20/90429...digenous-women

First 10 minutes describes the disappearance, murder and (shitty) investigation of Kaysera Stops Pretty Places.

Second 10 minutes describes legal issues (including how LEOs are well-represented as perpetrators of violence on/around the reservations) and lack of interest/resources by FBI.

Remainder talks about Trump's executive order in 2019 ("Operation Lady Justice") to create a cold case investigation unit of missing/murdered indigenous people. Also hit on the irony of this cold case unit while approving pipelines across reservations, whose employees are way-overrepresented as perpetrators of violence against indigenous women.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

Got it. I'm happy to know all those murderers Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee caught on the Navajo rez didn't get off scot-free

Hikesalot is spot on even with my post right now.r.
    I've been impressed with her and KQ both over the years. Seem like nice, genuine people. cheers MT
    "Can't you see..."

I laft.

The issue comes why is it funny and what bias or stereotype is it reinforcing...

So many times I've been in a professional environment, or even a recreational one, at a bike shop, fly shop, ski shop etc where I've had to fake laugh and then try again to ask a question because obviously I can't tell them to fuck off because there isn't another place in town to go...

I mean, whats the point? Why is that funny? What is it really accomplishing?

I guess everyone who hears/reads comments like that are suppose to just know whoever said it didnt REALLY mean it?

And again, one comment like that literally has no effect on the world but when you start stacking them on top of each other they do.

I mean, look at the root of the word hysterical.

Not listening to women because they are crazy, dumb, emotional, talk to much etc goes a long ways back...

I see it similar to black people calling each other the n word. They can do that, its none of my business, I won't even type it onto TRGs because its been used by my race to hurt for generations. The context is huge and its not for me to joke about.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    He moved her body across the creek from where her van was videoed. Spread creek literally "spreads out" as it exits its canyon and runs over the meadows to the river. Its seasonal floodplain is appx 500-700ft of loose cobble and braided side channels. I think they used to quarry gravel there once. On the other side, it's just a huge field of overgrazed scrub. Might still have grazing leases. But, there are no trails over there and certainly no reason for campers to cross hundreds of feet of loose rock to go to an uninviting tangle of arid sage. The riparian trees prevented campers from seeing across the 600ft to the large flock of birds squabbling with the coyotes.

No, the scumbag didn't bury her, he left her out for the scavengers. Preliminary identification was probably made off of clothing and the hair scattered around the site. Robust big game populations means we have robust and aggressive populations of scavengers here.
    Is there reported evidence of Laundrie (or anyone else) moving the body? I searched for "Petito body moved across Spread Creek" and got nothing relevant, other than the body was found at a campsite...

I mean, whats the point? Why is that funny? What is it really accomplishing?
    The point was to make Hikesalot crack a lil hikesalot grin.
    it's funny because jackstraw laft
    Giggling is a zesty, natural affair. It’s a beautiful hedonic endogenous psychological analgesic.
    What makes you laugh? Post it up!

I guess everyone who hears/reads comments like that are suppose to just know whoever said it didnt REALLY mean it?
    Yeah. Hopefully.

I mean, look at the root of the word hysterical.
    I swear to zeus if this turns into a tirade against Def Leppard I’m going to put my head right in an oven.

UT/WY Missing Persons Case>WILD

to Salve…. i pretty much agree with you. I don’t have time right now to fully expand on my thoughts but here goes quick ones: sometimes it’s funny because it’s not true, or overused and everyone knows the person talking isn’t intending to be harmful or maybe they’re actually making a point by saying it. (a point that supports not saying it). Hence nuance, tone, perceived intent, etc which is super hard to interpret on the internet let alone crazy trolled TRG. My perspective is I can’t/don’t want be on patrol about all socially incorrect things all the time. I just internally or externally roll my eyes sometimes, depending on the situation. Other times I try to chip away at the inherent biases I see / hear.

Like the flag I mentioned…. I live in a white, pretty conservative area (maybe 50/50). We have one black family who lives in the surrounding neighborhood, they’re our nextdoor neighbors and we’re good friends. I put that flag up so the closet racists know exactly where we stand and don’t need to be talking to us about their passive racist shit. And to generally show support to our black neighbors in the times of George Floyd etc. I believe we are well liked in the neighborhood based on a bunch if things, so if folks see our support of others maybe they’ll think twice about their bias.

That’s all i got for the moment.