Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by owwee View Post
    Hi Kinnikinnick. Good to read your updates here. Your meniscus repair experience continues to very closely mirror my own of several years ago. I too developed pretty bad knee pain in the non-injured knee. (In the process of exploring that, I had an MRI and discovered an incomplete meniscus tear probably dating back many years. The treatment for that was just PT and patience.) I also developed a very severe shoulder inflammation that also needed months of PT... all that time on crutches is pretty brutal on the body, not to mention the atrophy to the leg with surgery.

Anyway, I'm happy to tell you that I am several years out and after diligent home exercises learned in PT, I am better than new. I still do the exercises (mainly one leg squats) to keep my knees strong. And with this maintenance, when I go skiing, I feel as good or better than when I was 25. One season, I was lazy about that however, and I got pretty bad sore/achy knees after a couple days of skiing. So bad, I wondered if I had hurt myself. (Hypochondriac much? ) But no, just needed to learn that those squats are ESSENTIAL for good knee health.

So anyway, keep up the good work and hang in there. Patience.
    Thanks for the stories and encouragement. My good knee and my back have suffered for sure.

Been tough being out for the season so far. Kinda looking at next month as the target to get on the slope for a few groomers, but we'll see. What was your protocol/timing for getting back into the snow?

Quote Originally Posted by bknyc View Post
    yep...my good knee is aching more now too

I'm hoping it subsides as i'm allowed to put full weight on my injured leg now since i'm now on 1 crutch.

did any of you use an icing compression machine? The hospital rented me a GameReady, which i found helpful (these costs $2500) I discovered a similar device called SquidGo, any of you seen this, thoughts? It's only $300, seems worth it for my knees. I found it through the U.S. Ski Teams website
    They had me buy a Donjoy iceman machine. Kinda a pain to have to keep putting ice into it - although i figured out to have a rotation of water bottles in the freezer made it easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    What was your protocol/timing for getting back into the snow?
    My injury and surgery were in the spring near end of season. So I had a long time to recover without FOMO. Cautiously got back on the slopes the following winter.

what I think gives me the most anxiety about this is that even the doctors, surgeons, and therapists admit that there's still a lot about the meniscus they just don't fully know.

i'm wondering after my 6 months of rehab is completed and i'm cleared to go back to riding and surfing, I'll be mentally wondering if the repair even worked? These injuries aren't as apparent as broken bones/ligaments

what I think gives me the most anxiety about this is that even the doctors, surgeons, and therapists admit that there's still a lot about the meniscus they just don't fully know.

i'm wondering after my 6 months of rehab is completed and i'm cleared to go back to riding and surfing, I'll be mentally wondering if the repair even worked? These injuries aren't as apparent as broken bones/ligaments
    I feel your angst. They think mine was a great candidate for long term viability, but there are no guarantees and there is a failure rate.

For me this has been my first long term injury and a bit of a wake up call. No more illusions of invincibility.

I think that I’ll be dropping the higher risk of twisting and high impact sports stuff like soccer as well as dialing back the skiing for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

For what it's worth, my knee doc told me that skiing isn't such a hard motion on the knees.
    He said soccer, tennis, and basketball are the worst. That's because they entail so much side to side cutting.
    I've found snowboarding is more of a strain on the knees than skiing too because of the twisting motion.

For what it's worth, my knee doc told me that skiing isn't such a hard motion on the knees.
    He said soccer, tennis, and basketball are the worst. That's because they entail so much side to side cutting.
    I've found snowboarding is more of a strain on the knees than skiing too because of the twisting motion.
    That’s what I figured. And I probably could ski right now in terms of muscular function, esp if I kept it dialed back from bumps, trees, steeps.

But I suppose better to err on the side of caution, ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, etc.

interesting, i've always thought (my surgeon also agreed) that skiers suffer knee injuries at a higher rate, whereas shoulder/wrist injuries seem to be the more common snowboard injury.

interesting, i've always thought (my surgeon also agreed) that skiers suffer knee injuries at a higher rate, whereas shoulder/wrist injuries seem to be the more common snowboard injury.
    Yes, agreed. And both can be true however. Because I was talking about the normal motion associated with snowboarding being more of a strain on the knees than the normal motion of skiing. (Sking is a more linear action on the knee joint whereas snowboarding is a more multidirectional smearing.) But if we're talking about the incidence of injuries when things go wrong, then it's a different story!

With both feet locked in place on a single board, you're much less likely to get those injures caused when one leg/knee gets yanked off in a bad direction. (There's till plently of ways to tear an ACL and meniscus on a snowboard though, as many who've had it happen can tell you.) But then on a snowobard, as you said, you are more likely to slam down hard onto your wrists or shoulders without having a second leg to maintain some balance on and reduce the upper body impact.

So in terms of normal wear and tear on my knees, I find skiing easier. But the risk of knee injury in a crash can still be higher than that of snowboarding. With either sport, you've gotta be a bit careful and aware to reduce risk of injury.

8 weeks since surgery

after my PT visit this morning- no more brace, no more crutches!

i'll be in utah end of march/early april - obv no snowboarding, but i'm allowed to go hiking

yep...my good knee is aching more now too

I'm hoping it subsides as i'm allowed to put full weight on my injured leg now since i'm now on 1 crutch.

did any of you use an icing compression machine? The hospital rented me a GameReady, which i found helpful (these costs $2500) I discovered a similar device called SquidGo, any of you seen this, thoughts? It's only $300, seems worth it for my knees. I found it through the U.S. Ski Teams website
    I have an Iceman I'd be willing to sell cheap. It's been sitting on my shelf not getting used for some time.

14 weeks out from Meniscus repair update. Feeling and walking mostly good. I even tried to run today for 30-40 yards. It felt fine although like it’d get pretty sore so I stopped. Done a few short hikes of 1-3 miles. Have a DR appointment in 2 weeks, dare I hope that he’ll give me the green light to do some gentle skiing?

14 weeks out from Meniscus repair update. Feeling and walking mostly good. I even tried to run today for 30-40 yards. It felt fine although like it’d get pretty sore so I stopped. Done a few short hikes of 1-3 miles. Have a DR appointment in 2 weeks, dare I hope that he’ll give me the green light to do some gentle skiing?

glad to hear you're feeling better! - do you think your doctor will have you do an MRI+contrast to see the status of the meniscus repair?

glad to hear you're feeling better! - do you think your doctor will have you do an MRI+contrast to see the status of the meniscus repair?
    I haven’t heard anything about an MRI yet but I’ll see on the 2nd what he thinks.

I’m pretty sure based on how I’m feeling that all’s OK in there, no swelling, only minor soreness after excercise.

Went for a 4 mile RT hike today and feel pretty good.

heading to snowbird/alta and moab/arches next week

- obv i won't be on the slopes (my gf will) - but looking forward to doing some hiking

my PT said my knee should be fine for some uphill/downhill treks

knee is feeling pretty good, only when i'm going downstairs is where i'll feel some discomfort. On occasion, i'll feel like there's some creaking noises coming out of the knee that gives me the heebiejeebies.

meniscus or MCL tear/experiences.

heading to snowbird/alta and moab/arches next week

- obv i won't be on the slopes (my gf will) - but looking forward to doing some hiking

my PT said my knee should be fine for some uphill/downhill treks

knee is feeling pretty good, only when i'm going downstairs is where i'll feel some discomfort. On occasion, i'll feel like there's some creaking noises coming out of the knee that gives me the heebiejeebies.
    Glad to hear you’re doing well. Just be careful with it even if it feels good.

I tweaked mine a bit pulling stuff out of the back of the car yesterday and it’s back to being sore. Fingers crossed.

Got the go ahead today from the Dr to do “greens and blues”
    Not sure if I’m thrilled or totally meh about a few cruisers.

cruisers are better than nothing amd sliding is fun no matter what

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    cruisers are better than nothing amd sliding is fun no matter what
    Yeah. Thanks. I guess I’m showing my rehab depressive symptoms a bit. Bemoaning that I can’t go for real terrain this season - half empty.

Got the go ahead today from the Dr to do “greens and blues”
    Not sure if I’m thrilled or totally meh about a few cruisers.

I think you may find that doing some blues will be....interesting. You have to start somewhere and your confidence, once you're on the hill, may need some reconstruction. It's all a process.

meniscus or MCL tear/experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    I think you may find that doing some blues will be....interesting. You have to start somewhere and your confidence, once you're on the hill, may need some reconstruction. It's all a process.
    Yeah I hear you. Part of my hesitation is thinking whether I should even risk it for a a few groomers or just pack it in for the year.

But I went ahead and took some skis in to be mounted today. Maybe get a couple of hours with the kids next week.

If you get out there a bit this year, you'll at least have that part under your belt when the season starts. I think you'd be ahead to go out and get a few hours/days in this year and be ahead of the curve.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    If you get out there a bit this year, you'll at least have that part under your belt when the season starts. I think you'd be ahead to go out and get a few hours/days in this year and be ahead of the curve.
    Took 9 cruiser blue runs with the kids today!

A little bit sore but I think it’s all good!

Felt good to get some turns even if it was just blues and conditions were firm.

Maybe get a day or two more in, we’ll see.

bykny - sounds like you are progressing well. For me meniscus repair at age 40 , bucket handle tear from hitting a rock in about 18" of snow. Six weeks on the crutches with brace, from there lots of biking. Had surgery in Jan 14, skied the following Dec. It was ok, knee was a bit weak. Just chilled, nothing too crazy. Kept the biking up quite a bit, stationary, spin classes, road bike on weekends. Went back to doc in Feb 15, still didn't have full range of motion. Doc said could go in and smooth it, and recommended surgery again. Skied again in early April 15, went fine, didn't go super hard. Had surgery in mid-April 15. On crutches for one day, quick recovery. Could immediately tell it fixed a few things in there with range of motion. I probably stationary bike 5 times per week and been doing that since 2015. Do a couple annual ski trips - I live in Virginia, usually Colorado. Was able to ski hard the last two years. Recently started playing adult league ice hockey. Also get out on the inline skates a bit - 30-50 minutes at a time. Paddleboard, paddle surf, now just started running the last couple weeks and having no pain. So I'm a little over four years out from the initial injury and can pretty much do anything I want. Walking on angled beaches isn't the best. I'm thinking skinning would bother it a bit on an angled traverse but haven't done it yet.....back to that Virginia thing. How old are you. I think the younger the better as the blood flow to the meniscus is better if you are younger.

i'm about 100 days out from when I had surgery. My knee feels pretty good. I'm at full flexion/extension. Honestly, the only time i have issues is walking down stairs, but this is only during the mornings. It's not an issue later in the day. Every now and then I'll hear some weird clicking when i'm moving about, but my surgeon and PT say that's fine and nothing to be concerned with. I'd say, my knee is 70-80% there in terms of flexibility/strength.

Along with my PT visits, i've been doing the prescribed exercises everyday. I was seeing a physical therapist 2x a week from mid-jan to the end of april. I only have 2 visits left covered by insurance, so my physio and I decided to just schedule one for the end of May and one for the end of June.

There's no way to tell how much of the meniscus tear has healed as of now. I had a pretty big radial tear (doctor described it as almost complete) we know those are difficult to repair, but I guess in some strange way, since the tear went to the periphery of the meniscus, it has a better chance of healing than a shorter tear.

I've gone surfing a few times. I'm riding my bike to work. Obviously these aren't as stressful as snowboarding, but I've got another 7 months to strengthen my leg even more. My next followup appointment is mid-july, but I'm feeling pretty good and confident so far!

Kinnikinnick
    Are you in the Denver area? Who was your surgeon?

I suffered severe right knee pain from running on flat dirt road in May. Saw an ortho doc a couple weeks after and he said I had chondromalacia (fancy word for degeneration). Told me to give up running (after 39 years of it). Range of motion is now normal. But, I can still feel things aren't right with the knee. I get that running is out, but I can't walk the dog more than a couple mile on flat ground. Got an MRI that showed a meniscus tear. Saw a different ortho doc last week. He described the tear as cables ripped apart and said it could not be repaired. He offered nothing more than a cortisone shot for pain relief if I wanted. Maybe "minor" surgery to trim part of the meniscus that is bulging out. I see the original ortho doc this week for his opinion. Looking for a third set of eyes.

Any of you other guys that researched stem cell have any info/opinion specifically for meniscus tears?