Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Great Falls, MT

Great Falls, MT

I'm going to be there with 3 other guys one night in August before a fishing trip. My usual look for in that situation is a reasonably priced hotel in a walkable part of town so I can have a beer here, one there, and then a really good meal in a casual setting all within say a 20 minute walk radius.

From 3 minutes on google maps, there isn't an obvious area like that in GF.

If there is a location like that, point me in that direction. If not, I'll probably just stay at the Hampton Inn near the airport on the wife's hilton points and get an uber/lyft somewhere to have a beer or 2 and a meal (in which case I would appreciate a recommendation for that one-off).

Input appreciated.

Make sure and pay a visit to the Sip & Dip! Classic Great Falls place.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Just stay there, it's right downtown near all the bars and a couple breweries. Ohare motor in I think it's called? There are definitely, uh, nicer hotels in that town though.

One of my best friends lives out there and in the before times I used to go visit on a regular basis. Mighty mo and black eagle are the two breweries we go to the most, and steinhouse has a ton of good beers on tap and a pizza place.

yes, you have to go to the Sip and Dip.

"GQ magazine named us the #1 bar in the world worth flying to in 2003"

Yup, the Sip n Dip is the hotel bar at the Ohare Motor Inn. Rooms are dated, but who cares. Enjoy the trip to 1961. It is an awesome bar.

One of the best spots downtown is the Celtic Cowboy.

Apart from the world class mermaid scene, anyone have some more long term beta on the area? I'll be headed there this spring for a 15 month school program. Any decent biking or skiing nearby?

The Club Cigar, O.P. and The Beacon are the best watering holes. Elevation, MT Pints and the Cowboy are probably the best for tail. Do Bar is a mix of both and best music venue.

As others have said, Stay at O’hairs Motor Inn.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

What did you do to get sent to GF for 15 months? It's like the Detroit of Montana.

Oh yeah and the sip and dip rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    I'm going to be there with 3 other guys one night in August...

Input appreciated.
    PM Rontel.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

The trails along the river are fun to ride and there are some technical bits with exposure. Also watch out for the rattlesnakes. BUT, there isn't much else once you get tired of them unless you want to drive for awhile to, like, helena.

I keep meaning to check out teton pass ski area out in choteau. There's another place in the belts and one outside of helena. I assume there's some decent BC skiing along the front and up along the divide.

Aside from the river trails (which are fun to fun-adjacent), most GF riders drive to ride: the Highwoods, the Little Belts, or the Front. Sadly the Rierdon Gulch loop got lopped off by expanded Wilderness. Check with the GF Bicycle Club- they’re fairly active.

Seriously one of the worst places in the lower 48. It's like standing in front of a blow dryer while being pelted with meth.

That said, great hunting and fishing.

You guys are hilarious. GF isn't that bad. I always enjoyed my time there. It WAS the "big city" for me after all when I lived East of there.

Besides, from there you get easy access to Showdown and Teton Pass ski areas (Teton just got like 3 feet of new snow). Both amazing places. While all the snobs down in Big Sky are whining about not having enough snow, you'll be surfing deep pow at Showdown. For real. They typically get the most snow in the state. And the season passes are still DIRT cheap.

https://www.skitetonmt.com/
    https://www.showdownmontana.com/

medicine lodge gros ventre. little bit of a drive but worth it.
    "Can't you see..."

Ok. Everyone covered sip and dip(O'Hare motor Inn) and club cigar. Beware that the natives get a bit stabby sometimes(kidding, not kidding..). If ya have time to kill floating belt ck and hitting the lazy doe are good summertime activities.

Oh and for hookers and blow head to the Playground.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    What did you do to get sent to GF for 15 months? It's like the Detroit of Montana.

15 month nursing program. MSU has five campus locations they farm their students out to so you rank the five and then Jesus (or Barbara in administration) takes the wheel and you get your placement.

Good to know about Showdown and Teton. I love little mom and pop areas like those. Looks like you can already buy a pass for the 21/22 season at Showdown for $300.

Thanks for the bike info Evasive. Poking around the GF bike club site it looks like there's a solid core in town. Any recommendations on shops or mechanics?

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbest Known Time View Post
    15 month nursing program. MSU has five campus locations they farm their students out to so you rank the five and then Jesus (or Barbara in administration) takes the wheel and you get your placement.
    What did you do to piss Barbara off?

j/k, GF is probably a better place to spend 15 months than Billings.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Also it's like -40 there right now. Bring some double-knee Carhartts.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    What did you do to piss Barbara off?

j/k, GF is probably a better place to spend 15 months than Billings.
    Having friends that also got shipped to Not So Great Falls it seems Barb may just be pissed off in general. GF vs. Billings? I'll choose GF since I've never been there.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Having friends that also got shipped to Not So Great Falls it seems Barb may just be pissed off in general. GF vs. Billings? I'll choose GF since I've never been there.
    The 5 options for the program are Bozeman, Missoula, Kalispell, Great Falls, Billings. So yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbest Known Time View Post
    Maybe send Barb some flowers next time? Good luck on your further studies.

You can skip all of GF. Here, let me explain it to you this way: they put a nuclear missile command there so if the other side nuked it first, no one would miss anything.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post

I've never been to Detroit, but I bet it still has more soul than Great Falls. Then again, there are airport bars with more soul than Great Falls.
    Butte is probably more analogous to Detroit, and I mean that in the best way possible.
    Have you ever seen Cheyenne, Wyoming? You have seen Great Falls. If you suddenly plopped me down in either place, the only way I'd be able to tell where I was would be by looking at the license plates. Maybe.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

BTW, you floating or just staying in Craig for the rest of the trip and wading?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    The 5 options for the program are Bozeman, Missoula, Kalispell, Great Falls, Billings. So yeah.

Yeah there's two pretty clear tiers to the options. At least the hospital in GF is supposed to be pretty decent.