Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Extreme off-roading!

Fun times at black Bear Pass. Passenger ejected, suffered serious injuries, but survived. Two doggos also ejected, but found uninjured.

That area has some serious steeps. Haven't returned since Hard Rock back in 97.

The fun starts just after the 3:15 mark.

Daniel Ortega eats here.

That’ll buff right out.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

It’s a Jeep thing?
    I still call it The Jake.

Wonder if he had one of those upside down "if you can read this flip me over" stickers

Unlike a Pieps, it went into send mode.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    That’ll buff right out.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Ha! Well played!

is this why they keep telling me to chock the tires on my beater rig?

When I saw the title I had visions of Jeeps hucking cliffs. That was pretty close to what I had in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    I just spit coffee all over myself. Thanks for the laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    When I saw the title I had visions of Jeeps hucking cliffs. That was pretty close to what I had in mind.
    It even landed switch!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Wife and I got turned around on this trail about a month ago after it started raining right as we got to the top (start of the 1 way restrictions). I was pretty mad at myself for wussing out but this makes me feel like I made the right decision. Ended up taking Ophir which was a cakewalk in my jeep but some adventure bike dentists were having a rough go of it coming up from the west side .

The difficulty isn't that hard but the exposure sure is nuts on black bear. Some day I'll knock it off the list.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    ... but some adventure bike dentists were having a rough go of it coming up from the west side .

The difficulty isn't that hard but the exposure sure is nuts on black bear. Some day I'll knock it off the list.
    No doubt the were on some bloated, overloaded BMW GS bikes with 100 pounds of gear, racks, and hard boxes.

One thing I am wondering, what about the driver of the jeep? I keep reading how the passenger was ejected, but nothing that says what happened to the driver. Obviously, he dead if he wasn't ejected, but why haven't they stated that? It's like the driver never existed. Unless by "passenger" they mean driver.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    that's fucking funny, well done!

I've never done it myself, but my understanding is that it isn't just exposure.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I sometimes make my wife get out and walk, gnarly sections. I’ll unbuckle and prepare for somewhat controlled ejection.

I mean its not easy per se, but in 4 wheel drive scales it isn't very technical nor super difficult. The exposure is just crazy and you have an off camber shelf above the waterfall that is supposed to pucker you up pretty good.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    No doubt the were on some bloated, overloaded BMW GS bikes with 100 pounds of gear, racks, and hard boxes.
    You know it. I usually have to help at least 1 guy lift up one of these overloaded douche bikes after they eat shit in the sand every time I got to Moab also.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    One thing I am wondering, what about the driver of the jeep? I keep reading how the passenger was ejected, but nothing that says what happened to the driver. Obviously, he dead if he wasn't ejected, but why haven't they stated that? It's like the driver never existed. Unless by "passenger" they mean driver.
    Sounds like the guy got out to help someone ahead of him navigate a switchback. My guess is he got out and forgot the emergency brake. Then the jeep started to roll with the GF and dogs in it.

I was watching that video thinking how they hell are they going to roll it..... and then the red jeep came rolling down.

You know it. I usually have to help at least 1 guy lift up one of these overloaded douche bikes after they eat shit in the sand every time I got to Moab also.
    is jeeping that much different than adventure biking? they kind of seem in the same catagory to me. I kind of get and kind of don't get the appeal. My 34 year old brother just bought an adventure bike so I've been giving him some shit cause the only people I know into that are men in the their late 50s/60s. Not really my thing, but I could see it being fun like jeeping.

I don't get adventure bikes myself but absolutely love exploring in my jeep. Bikes have a hard time getting through anything actually difficult, where a jeep is a much more stable platform to crawl over things.

Adventure bikes fall into the overland category to me, AKA car camping for dorks, which is more about showing off all your cool toys and not actually getting into anything that difficult. Where I take my jeep you wouldn't want to take all that crap cause it will just weigh you down and I'm going to beat the shit out of it.
    Live Free or Die

That's a pretty good explanation. My first question to my brother was why not just get an actual dirt bike which looks more fun to me

I don't get adventure bikes myself but absolutely love exploring in my jeep. Bikes have a hard time getting through anything actually difficult, where a jeep is a much more stable platform to crawl over things.

Adventure bikes fall into the overland category to me, AKA car camping for dorks, which is more about showing off all your cool toys and not actually getting into anything that difficult. Where I take my jeep you wouldn't want to take all that crap cause it will just weigh you down and I'm going to beat the shit out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    That's a pretty good explanation. My first question to my brother was why not just get an actual dirt bike which looks more fun to me
    Like most things, there are several shades of gray - this included ADV bikes, which has seen massively growth in the last 15 years. Which is to say; they aren't all the same.

My experience is actually the opposite; I can (and do) travel much faster and farther than most Jeeps and the like. While they must go slow, waddle, and idle over obstacles, I can rip right through the same terrain. More often, I'm waiting on Jeeps and other 4X4 rigs when I'm out riding. Most ADV bikers either don't have much dirt experience or simply never get the training. It matters if you're muscling around a near-600lbs bike off-road. Hell, most guys that buy ADV bike rarely take them off-road, and when they do, are bloated, and over-packed.

tl;dr - light is right

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lh0xdrT.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	308.9 KB 
ID:	344482

ADV is just trendy jargon for dual sport and dual sports have been around for decades. There is a wide spectrum of dual sport bikes with the CRF250L on one end and the GS1250 on the other. Same with the people who ride them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    ADV is just trendy jargon for dual sport and dual sports have been around for decades.
    Is that sort of like car camping. Sorry, I mean "overlanding".

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    Sounds like the guy got out to help someone ahead of him navigate a switchback. My guess is he got out and forgot the emergency brake. Then the jeep started to roll with the GF and dogs in it.
    Yeah, I don't think that relationship is going to end well.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Like most things, there are several shades of gray - this included ADV bikes, which has seen massively growth in the last 15 years. Which is to say; they aren't all the same.

My experience is actually the opposite; I can (and do) travel much faster and farther than most Jeeps and the like. While they must go slow, waddle, and idle over obstacles, I can rip right through the same terrain. More often, I'm waiting on Jeeps and other 4X4 rigs when I'm out riding. Most ADV bikers either don't have much dirt experience or simply never get the training. It matters if you're muscling around a near-600lbs bike off-road. Hell, most guys that buy ADV bike rarely take them off-road, and when they do, are bloated, and over-packed.

tl;dr - light is right

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lh0xdrT.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	308.9 KB 
ID:	344482
    Going fast on a two track? Sure a bike is going to do that quicker compared to a jeep. I do get jealous sometimes on the easy stuff watching you guys fly around, and you definitely will see more in a day.

Jeep though is getting through deeper mud, over larger boulders, and pretty much everything else one associates with off-roading, which is what I like to do. If I want to go fast I have a little sports car for that.

We definitely agree on the recent trends for dual sports. 15 years ago when I'd take my jeep out it was just 250's and guys with a water bottle or something. Now its like you need to be self sufficient for at least 2 months or you might as well not start the thing up.
    Live Free or Die