Page 12 of 132 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: The FIFTY

What a crazy episode.

Kinda cool to see rad skiers just admit conditions suck and ski it like that. So often social media and movies show the epic skiing, very few show skiing like that.

^^^ Definitely a big reason why I like it as well. I like the shitty snow parts the best.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

^^agreed. Makes me feel better about some of the lines I've sidestepped and makes guys like Cody seem more human.
    It sucks to suck.

Oops, viddy was posted on last page.

Am looking forward to the bonus rescue installment.
    Last edited by SB; 04-04-2019 at 08:07 AM.
    watch out for snakes

Alkasquawlik
    Did you ski anything between the 17th and 20th around Joffre? Rest?

You are a beast able to make those hop turns that well after such approaches, down climb, etc.... maybe you can make a career of this skiing thing.

That was a great episode, showed some decision making, and I can't wait to see the bonus... gripping.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    What a crazy episode.

Kinda cool to see rad skiers just admit conditions suck and ski it like that. So often social media and movies show the epic skiing, very few show skiing like that.
    +3, it’s believable and it makes the rad skiing you DO ski all the more impressive imo

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    +3, it’s believable and it makes the rad skiing you DO ski all the more impressive imo
    +4, perfect balance between serious ski mountaineering, decision making and fun. I presume you are working on some feature length stuff after all is done? If its going to got the crowd funding route, i'm up for that.

Hey Cody
    When is ep7/bonus going to drop?

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Hey Cody
    When is ep7/bonus going to drop?
    Bonus is up.

Kudos for sharing

That guy is lucky, not only that he was not killed outright but that Cody and cru were there to save his bacon.
    Last edited by SB; 04-05-2019 at 07:59 AM.
    watch out for snakes

Wow... That guys face was gnarly.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Dang Cody, this should be required viewing for all who travel in the BC. Thanks for laying out your decision making process. That guy is lucky to have wrecked in front of you guys, who obviously had plans in place and training for emergencies. Strong work.

Wow, that is one gnarly line to be skiing solo, in shit conditions. That maniac most certainly had luck on his side (on multiple levels) that day!

Strong work on mobilizing the rescue to perfection!

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Wow, that is one gnarly line to be skiing solo, in shit conditions. That maniac most certainly had luck on his side (on multiple levels) that day!

Strong work on mobilizing the rescue to perfection!
    Now I want to hear that guy's story!
    He was somewhat skilled to get himself up there...so what happened?

Solid work, Cody & Bjarne!

Your efforts in this project are well documented and entertaining. By many accounts you can say it has been a success- just ask the rescued skier. Congrats on a solid rescue plan execution. Keep rolling safe and we’ll be cheering you on.

Big ups Alka - what a fun project. Agreed with all - great work on the rescue and description of the thought and strategy behind the extraction.

Gotta hand it to the behind-the-camera-partner Bjarne too - the filming has been awesome, even somehow with drones too. The guy must be a goddamn magician to climb and ski all that terrain, and capture incredible images like that at the same time. What a boss.
    Last edited by meter-man; 04-05-2019 at 10:27 AM.
    sproing!

So attempt 1 had 4 people total, but was it just 2 on the second attempt? If not, where were the other people during the rescue?

Thanks for sharing that, and the discussion on thought processes. Very interesting and enlightening. That is one lucky dude. But I'd still love to hear his story, what the hell was he doing there?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Good work and thanks for sharing Cody. The reminder we all need that it gets real out there. It's not all pow turns and goggle tans.

Just friggin' amazing is all I can say. The whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Gotta hand it to the behind-the-camera-partner Bjarne too - the filming has been awesome, even somehow with drones too. The guy must be a goddamn magician to climb and ski all that terrain, and capture incredible images like that at the same time. What a boss.
    And this X 1000.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Dang Cody, this should be required viewing for all who travel in the BC. Thanks for laying out your decision making process. That guy is lucky to have wrecked in front of you guys, who obviously had plans in place and training for emergencies. Strong work.
    Was going to post the same, thanks Cody.

wow!!! outfuckingstanding alka n bjarne+++++
    i would guess that the other 2 in their party just skied back down the aussie when they saw how shitty the snow was. alka n b had a reason to subject themselves to the punishment cuz the 50 but not the others. thanks and praise they did

^ They climbed up the front. So that wouldn't have been possible. I guess they probably just bailed earlier in the day.

Best ski series I've followed. Nice work guys.

Re the Central Couloir rescue - posted this to Youtube but may be useful for others

FYI there is a phone app for Android called "GPS Status". It works in airplane mode offline. It will take your GPS point in different formats (WGS84, NAD27 etc) and save it in the phone's clipboard. You can then send that location to SAR. Pemberton, Whistler SAR work off WGS84 but that is location-specific. I don't know if it exists for Iphone

Of course on paper and electronic mapping devices you can also handplot the victim's GPS coordinates but the phone app is a mechanism to save a GPS coordinate at some point in time which you can use later to relay to SAR for a starting point for search
    Last edited by LeeLau; 04-05-2019 at 01:19 PM.

Cody is good at the story telling too. I had read the sequence of events earlier in the thread but the vid still got the heart racing.
    Bjarne must be a beast too. After that day, he raced up at double speed. All I could think is if I made it that far I'd be lucky to go half speed on any uphill

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Alka,

Good Work
    And Lucky timing for the victim

Please explain what you mean by the delays with a PLB.

Why wouldn’t one just activate the PLB, leave it with your buddy/victim AND head out for cell phone?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.