Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    That's some interesting shi.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

If I'm remembering correctly, splinter of the minds eye is basically Han Solo on Acid.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    If I'm remembering correctly, splinter of the minds eye is basically Han Solo on Acid.
    methinks you are either remembering some other book or having an acid flashback of your own...

From Wikipedia entry on Splinter of the Mind's Eye: "The principal characters are Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, C-3PO, R2-D2, and Darth Vader. The characters of Han Solo and Chewbacca do not appear, and Solo is only referred to by Luke Skywalker as "a pirate and a smuggler" he once knew at the end of the book. The book was originally written to be filmed as a low-budget sequel to Star Wars if the original film was not a success."

From what I remember of the book is that it was basically Luke and Leia squaring off against Vader. And from re-reading the entry on Wikipedia methinks it might have made a pretty decent movie (albeit Empire Strikes Back was easily the best of the SW sagas and not ironically, the only one not written by Lucas...).
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    ...(albeit Empire Strikes Back was easily the best of the SW sagas and not ironically, the only one not written by Lucas...).
    Actually Lawrence Kasdan also wrote the screenplay for Return of the Jedi. I think it's interesting that the the screenplay for darkest film of the series (ESB) was co-written by a woman - Leigh Brackett - and that neither V or VI were directed by Lucas.

Bump. Looking through this thread again because I'm trying to decide on something to get for a long flight.

Best (as in most entertaining) fantasy I've read in quite a while was Patrick Rothfuss Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear, as per someones reccomendation in this thread. Good story and just really well written. Great page turners if you want to pass a few hours. Now waiting for book 3. If you like Game of Thrones you would almost certainly like this.

Also picked up the first Belgariad (is it Belgarion?) book, ok but not so great that I felt like I had to read the rest.

Liked the Mistborn books, finished the series although the first book was the best, imo.

Read and enjoyed three of the Foundation books. Not my first choice for true escapism but interesting.
    Last edited by klar; 08-04-2013 at 04:56 AM.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Tough call dune, the hobbit and lord fouls bane
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Enders game, second and third books blew though.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    Bump. Looking through this thread again because I'm trying to decide on something to get for a long flight.

Best (as in most entertaining) fantasy I've read in quite a while was Patrick Rothfuss Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear, as per someones reccomendation in this thread. Good story and just really well written. Great page turners if you want to pass a few hours. Now waiting for book 3. If you like Game of Thrones you would almost certainly like this.

Also picked up the first Belgariad (is it Belgarion?) book, ok but not so great that I felt like I had to read the rest.

Liked the Mistborn books, finished the series although the first book was the best, imo.

Read and enjoyed three of the Foundation books. Not my first choice for true escapism but interesting.
    Gene wolfes shadow of the torturer series.. john c. wrights golden age series.. i am also a sucker for jack vance.. emphyrio is my fave but he wrote many very good ones.. and for newish novels i love jasper ffordes thursday next series and lev grossmans magicians and the sequal the magician king
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

You've already read "The City of Dreaming Books" and "Rumo" then?
    Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast series?
    Rendezvous With Rama?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Thanks for the continued suggestions everyone. YAY BOOKS.

Buster: yes, I read Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher and Rumo, Gormenghast is on the list, will check out the other one.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

I just finished a rereading of Rumo. Friftar, Gornab's advisor, reminds me of Steerpike in Gormenghast.

Cabell too: 'Figures Of Earth', 'The Silver Stallion', 'The High Place', 'Jurgen', 'The Cream of the Jest'.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Just finished Wool and Shift. Two good sci-fi books, not sure if they were mentioned.

Third one in the series comes out next week!

For some very good hard-core sci-fi, try Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds (first book of a three-spot >> #2 is solid but 1 and 3 are beyond the pale . . .).

^^ My new favourite author. Pushing Ice is super good by him as well.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Anyone catch the Wheel of Time pilot on FXX this week? If you didn't you didn't miss anything. It was horrible.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/9/800...time-pilot-fxx

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    Anyone catch the Wheel of Time pilot on FXX this week? If you didn't you didn't miss anything. It was horrible.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/9/800...time-pilot-fxx
    Intriguing, I have a bunch of friends that would be interested to see this. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

The Deconstructed Man by Alfred Bester is extremely good

Also I need to read The Stars My Destination by Bester
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Rad thread. I've been on a big China miéville kick lately.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Re: Wool, Hugh Howey is one of my new favorites. The Wool series was outstanding, Sand was great also, and for something different, the Shell Collector was pretty cool.

I should add The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August here, because it really was incredible.

The Martian was a fun read. A bit technical in the first few dozen pages, then it got fun.

Could use some good time travel recommendations, other than the obvious classics.

"The High Place" is a favorite although I am more into the writings of Max Lucado and Paulo Coelho.

Seveneves - Neal Stephenson

And another recommendation for hugh wooley and the silo series that starts with the book wool
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

what's your favourite fantasy/scifi book?

Surprised there is no mention of "Brave New World" or "Island" by Aldous Huxley. It also took how many pages for the name Vonnegut to appear?
    Last edited by Brianskis; 07-28-2015 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    ... I started reading the Wheel of Time series based on a recommendation. It's too early to know if I'm going to like the series since I'm still on the first book, but so far it's pretty damn good. The author goes into a lot of detail, but so far the storyline is making it bearable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    You have no idea what kind of slog you have ahead of you.
    Was I right? Holy shit that series took forever. Not sure I liked the last 2 books either, but hey, at least they ended it.

Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    Seveneves - Neal Stephenson
    The first 2 parts were great. Gripping. Perfect ending at the end of part 2. Top shelf.

Part 3 was fucking lame, though. Read like mediocre fan fiction.
    focus.