Yeti sb95-- 120 or 140 front shock--which one?

I'm about to pull the trigger on an sb95 and am undecided on whether to get the front fork set to 120 or 140mm.

Leaning towards the 140 because:
    better downhill performance
    minimally effects climbing
    slightly higher bb
    perhaps more carvey

Or 120 because:
    still really good on the downs
    better climbing
    more nimble feel

I live in Colorado and ride all sorts of terrain. Most of my riding has been xc/moderately technical but am looking to step it up w/the 29er into more technical stuff both on the ups and the downs.

Thanks for any insights

What models?

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I just built one up for my buddy. I put a Revelation set to 140 and he seems to love it. It's too small for me, so I never rode it. I can tell you he is now destroying me on the climbs. He's coming off an Enduro Evo and I always used to beat him on the way up.

I demoed one last week so my time on it was limited. It was set at 120. I'd put a 140 fork on it if I owned one.

130...duh. Or get something that you can put spacers in to move it down to 120 from 140. Some revalations have this feature.
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by chatton18 View Post
    130...duh. Or get something that you can put spacers in to move it down to 120 from 140. Some revalations have this feature.
    The bike is speced w/a Fox 34 and as I understand it, can be set up at 120 or 140- if ur familiar w/the innards of shocks-which I'm not. So either 120 or most-likely, 140- Yeti will set it up in Golden.

I have mine with a 140-120 revelation. Without travel adjust I would go 140. It's still steers really snappy on the climbs and the 13.2 bottom bracket in 120 is fairly annoying when climbing and descending.

I've never tried mine with 140 but have been super impressed with the 120 (Fox 34 Float). I can rally everything I want to with it; 20' gap jumps on Bobsled, Burro Down, and I really don't have to hold back on much if anything. I really like the low BB.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

I got the fork set at 140 and am really glad I did. With a Rock Shox dropper seat post I can lower my center of gravity on long downhills and still have a tall bb for chunky uphill and downhill stuff.

Really like the bike, but not totally sold on the Fox CTD rear shock- just had it blow a few days ago and need a rebuild with only 3 1/2 months on the bike...

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    I've never tried mine with 140 but have been super impressed with the 120 (Fox 34 Float). I can rally everything I want to with it; 20' gap jumps on Bobsled, Burro Down, and I really don't have to hold back on much if anything. I really like the low BB.
    There's a 20 footer on the sled now??
    - - - - Skiing is for little fat kids - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ridevt View Post
    There's a 20 footer on the sled now??
    I've paced off the creek gap to about that. Maybe 18', worst case.

bovine - I really don't want to raise my BB at all, I love it low and fast and cornery with 120. Think I'm going to leave mine there.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Quote Originally Posted by bovine View Post
    I got the fork set at 140 and am really glad I did. With a Rock Shox dropper seat post I can lower my center of gravity on long downhills and still have a tall bb for chunky uphill and downhill stuff.

Really like the bike, but not totally sold on the Fox CTD rear shock- just had it blow a few days ago and need a rebuild with only 3 1/2 months on the bike...
    Nice dude. I also got mine at 140 and love it. WRT the rear shock, did you notice much difference between C-T-D settings? Mine has a good amount of stroke/compression when set to climb, and I know it's not a lockout, but it should be noticeably different than the other settings. Trying to decide if I need to get it warrantied.