Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Colleges suck

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    Am I in the minority for only applying to two schools?
    I only applied to one.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    Well I'm in the mix too and deciding between:
    U of Washington (close, good skiing, cheapest)
    UCLA (expensive, otherwise quite a nice option)
    Cal Poly SLO (more affordable cali option)
    Colorado mines (best skiing, cost not much more than UW)

Any opinions on CO mines/golden in particular?
    there is no pussy at mines. golden is a pretty cool town.

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    Am I in the minority for only applying to two schools?
    No, Adam, you can roll large, you're a smart kid.

....And hope that your safety works out.

What's the worse? You have to spend a winter at CMC?
    # # #

"...You must be a big skier then." I said "no, I'm a petite size 2." Awkward silence.... - Parvo

Heard Hugh lost a testy in the tram line at Kitzbühel via altercation with the local monoboard team circa '93. Has been bitter about game theory since.- Klauss

Quote Originally Posted by hofferfish View Post
    Are there any Maggots going to UBC? I want a school with a good engineering department or good fiziks thats within a few hours from skiing so I think UBC is $$$.
    There are a lot of us here. Not sure how many are in engineering. Thats a heavy workload for skiing a ton, but weekends and if you schedule an off day (or two) you can ski plenty.

I'll add to the burgeoning list:

In:
    UBC
    UC Santa Cruz
    Bard
    Ithaca

Out
    USC
    UCLA

Not Sure / Haven't Heard
    Syracuse
    Chapman
    NYU

For: Film Production

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    Any opinions on CO mines/golden in particular?
    Mines = NO women. Expect to be traveling to Boulder to meet girls....Campus life at mines sort of sucks from what I gather.

And better skiing? I would rather be in Washington. I grew up in boulder, and skied all over the front range (mostly Vail and Beaver Creek). Then went to school in washington (UPS). I would take Crystal and Alpy any day....

Quote Originally Posted by nick > jesus View Post
    4 for 4

University of Puget Sound (top choice, not sure if i can afford it)
    Just graduated from UPS last may. If you have any questions, shoot me a PM.
    Last edited by iggyskier; 04-04-2009 at 03:20 AM.
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

currently waiting to hear back from u of utah and msu. i'll hopefully find out within the next two weeks from either school.

UCSC is a sweet school and you arent far from the mountains. And your in one of the best surfing town in the US. and if you like herb you'll be in heaven. LOT of dirty hippies

UCLA is nice if you think you can handle LA. I am not an LA person and generally feel dirty every time im in the area.

i got accepted to Western Washington and that's all I care about. Bham here i come

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    i got accepted to Western Washington and that's all I care about. Bham here i come
    congrats. Welcome to one of the nicer areas in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by mc_roon View Post
    I am not an LA person and generally feel dirty every time im in the area.

NOR(i mean CEN)CAL!

I've just read the whole thread and here is my .02

Quote Originally Posted by iggyskier View Post
    Mines = NO women. Expect to be traveling to Boulder to meet girls....Campus life at mines sort of sucks from what I gather.
    PM.
    I currently go to Mines (in my 2nd year) and have decided it's the best choice I've ever made. My first year I skied 70ish days and pulled a 4.0 so the school isn't as demanding as people make it seem. This year I'm on track to do the same and am loving life. It's true there's no girls on campus. Campus life doesn't suck here, it's just different. I have a blast in Golden. There's plenty of parties here and always something happening at Boulder.

Academically, it's a very well known school for engineering and you can follow many different paths at the school.

Quote Originally Posted by iggyskier View Post
    And better skiing? I would rather be in Washington. I grew up in boulder, and skied all over the front range (mostly Vail and Beaver Creek). PM.
    .................................................. .................................................. ..............................here's your problem ^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by seldon View Post
    Viva,
    I'm looking at economics, international relations/polysci, or physics. I'm not really sure yet (obviously).

In other news, I heard back from princeton and stanford today and got in .

And to those who asked why I applied to so many, is that specifically at my school the problem of grade-inflation (I have a 3.75 and am barely in the top 20% grade-wise) and general over-achieverness makes it really hard to be able to know, and I didn't want to get screwed over like a couple of kids did last year. Options are always nice.

Now I have to decide yale/princeton/stanford. i dont think im going to screw up.

dirtybryan, eagle scout - check. straight as- not really. minority - nope.
    Not hating on seldon but I just have to vent a little bit as this thread is all about college. I got denied from Harvard and a few other similar schools. I had a 4.25 GPA in High School and a 33 on the ACT and a shit ton of extracurriculars. The whole College admission process is retarded in my opinion. I don't really care now because of how happy I am at Mines but it was a bit disappointing at the time.

Moral of this long post.... if you're thinking engineering/technical/science career (or even gonna go pre-med) give Colorado School of Mines a really hard look
    "I reckon i'm one of the only people who could ski this line" says my drunk friend

Quote Originally Posted by todug27 View Post
    There are a lot of us here. Not sure how many are in engineering. Thats a heavy workload for skiing a ton, but weekends and if you schedule an off day (or two) you can ski plenty.
    I did my undergrad at UBC, and during my "fifth" year, put in 100+ days for a $250 student ski pass to W/B. Just take one class a semester & ride out the rest.

Now I'm doing the same, but living in Whistler while going to school at McGill. How? GRADUATE school.

FYI, McGill isn't a bad place to do undergrad: 18 year drinking age, awesome music/indie/club/pub scene, festival culture, a real winter and a hot summer, French women, smoke, and $10 bus rides to Jay Peak. If hitting the East, not a bad way to get a CDN "Ivy League" education at about 1/30th the price. And then there's the QC mountains -- Tremblant, Massif, Mont Ste. Anne. Pretty good spot.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

Quote Originally Posted by durangotang View Post
    I currently go to Mines (in my 2nd year) and have decided it's the best choice I've ever made. My first year I skied 70ish days and pulled a 4.0 so the school isn't as demanding as people make it seem. This year I'm on track to do the same and am loving life. It's true there's no girls on campus. Campus life doesn't suck here, it's just different. I have a blast in Golden.
    Stoked to see you are digging it. As with everything, different strokes for different folks. If you have loving life, more power to you. That is awesome.

Mines is definitely a different school and not for everyone though. I had 3 friends go. One liked it for the academics, but hated campus life and as you mentioned here....

always something happening at Boulder.
    was always in Boulder.

The other two bailed after a year, one transfer to CU and one to Colorado College, and both were much happier there. Again, though, it is about what works for you. They were not happy, you are, just the way things are.

Academically, you are pretty much dead on. Education there is awesome, but IMO college is half academic experience and half social experience, so it is vital you are in a social environment that totally works for you. The environment at mines, you must admit, is not one that will work for everyone. The same goes for someone who would be miserable in a smaller school, or a huge state school, etc, etc. It is just a matter of finding what works for you.

Mines is a great school, but it isn't like UW is a bad school. Pretty sure it is still a top tier, and college is so much about what you put in. You can get a amazing education even at a mediocre school if you apply yourself.

here's your problem
    As far as Vail and Beaver Creek being my problem, those were the mountains I grew up skiing and the ones I know best. But in HS I skied everywhere and was lucky enough to have a pass to basically every area in the front range but Loveland.

Breck and Keystone pretty much blow.
    Copper is just like a smaller Vail.
    Winter Park has some dope trees and pillows....but that is about it.
    A-basin is fun, but tiny.
    Eldora is well....eldora. Not bad if you are hungover and don't wake up until noon.
    The only area I haven't spent enough time skiing to really know is Loveland, but over all the rest, I would rather ski Vail or BC, and I would much rather ski Crystal or Alpy over either of them. And this is coming from someone who was born and raise in Colorado and loves it. The (in-bounds) skiing in the Front Range is good, but not the best.

I truly think that someone who was used to skiing Crystal and Alpy (or stevens and baker) would be disappointed in the terrain and snowfall in Colorado. I even had a horrible horrible year in the PNW (04-05...my first year out here) where the resorts hardly opened. Even so, I have probably had more amazing powder days in 5 years I have been in the PNW than I ever had skiing in Colorado.

Again, though, it is different for everyone. You might be miserable here, and happy there, and vice versa. Just glad to see that it sounds like it worked out for the both of us.

Edited to add...

The whole College admission process is retarded in my opinion.
    College admissions are insane. I had a friend who had like a 4.5 and a 1590 SAT and tons of other shit and applied to the whole Ivy League deal. Pretty sure he was denied at Harvard, Waitlisted at Princeton and Yale, and accepted to Stamford. He ended up at Stamford, which worked out in the end, but it was definitely really interesting to see the kid who was ALWAYS ahead of everyone else academically getting denied. Just crazy how competitive it is.
    Last edited by iggyskier; 04-05-2009 at 06:13 PM.
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

As my first post

In
    Merrimack College- North andover mass

Out
    UNH
    CU

Wait
    U of denver
    UVM

My parents would not let me apply to U of Utah or MSU. for the fear i would flunk out which i probably would

Looks like i will be going to merrimack. which i have no problem with. Will still be a long drive to stowe/jay/MRg of about 4 hours maybe 5
    and maybe 2.5 to the Mtwashington valley

The way i see it i get a good job then i can ski whenever i want and take trips to some rad places

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonstail View Post
    Looks like i will be going to merrimack. which i have no problem with. Will still be a long drive to stowe/jay/MRg of about 4 hours maybe 5
    and maybe 2.5 to the Mtwashington valley
    it takes me about 3/3.5 hours to get up to burlington from andover, so i can't imagine it would be that much different for getting to stowe if the roads aren't bad.

Cool u are from andover i take it?

Not very familiar with much of the ski mtns in NH besides Sunapee. My parents have a house in Grantham. Would not mind just doing some "BC" up in the Cannon / Mt washington valley area.

I found some pretty gnarly lines with my friends this year up there and would not mind going up thatway once in a while

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts
    I applied and was accepted to Western State and Fort Lewis. Its hard to be let down when you have low standards. Going to Western.

UBC for film production and skiing work quite well relentless.
    Graduated from there in film production. Skied 80+ days a year. You just have to set up your schedule right.
    As far as film I loved it. Learned tons, have set up some probably life long filmmaking relationships, was able to work out of school, etc, etc.

As with any university it is all about what you put into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain505 View Post
    UBC for film production and skiing work quite well relentless.
    Graduated from there in film production. Skied 80+ days a year. You just have to set up your schedule right.
    As far as film I loved it. Learned tons, have set up some probably life long filmmaking relationships, was able to work out of school, etc, etc.

As with any university it is all about what you put into it.
    Thanks man - that was exactly the type of info I was looking for. How hard is it to qualify for the BFA major in film?

I did a summer at Mcgill, and it was the best summer ever. Montreal kicks ass.

went to CU

CU is a great school and the both the engineering and med programs have a good reputation in my circles. I skied 50 plus days per yr in my four years and partied plenty hard. Grades were circa 3.5. Can be done.

The skiing is not as close as I would have liked/imagine before getting to Colorado. Had a pass to Berthoud, while it was operating, which was nice (closer, better terrain). I am reading that it gets a lot of BC use these days. Vail, etc. are nice, but the terrain is not my favorite. Plus, the distance from Boulder weighs on you.

I now live in the PNW and generally like the Cascades better as far as city mountain proximity and terrain. Now if Jackson Hole was an hour from boulder, I would have different opinions. WA and OR mountains lack vertical, but make up for it in terrain IMO.

No regrets with CU as it would still be my number one school choice if I had the chance to do it again. I think a UW would also have been a good alternative for me.

Relentless...it is very hard and competitive to get into the BFA film production major.
    I've heard usually about 100 apply and they take 15 every year. They just restructured the program a bit...so now I think they may be taking 20 or so.
    Take all the pre-reqs + more film studies courses.
    But the most important part of the application is a film you made. Make something strong. Whatever it may be.
    My submission film was about skiing and education and philosophical ramblings. It was a documentary essentially, but it was strong because I was very passionate about it.
    Others made narrative films, others made experimental films.
    I came to UBC from New Mexico to ski and take film production. I didn't get into the program my first time applying, so I took another year of classes I knew I needed to graduate and film studies courses. I applied again because that is what I came here to do.
    Work hard, be passionate about it and you'll get in.

Just go to OSU, we got the sickest skiing under a hour away.

Quote Originally Posted by skatecow45 View Post
    Today was the big day for the acceptances/ rejections. Damn, I thought I would have done better. But, fuck those we rejected me. I went 4/7

Got into:

U Puget Sound (Tacoma, Washington)
    UVM (Burlington, Vermont)
    CU Boulder (Boulder, Colorado)
    UMASS, Commonwealth College, BIOTAP Program (Amherst, Mass)

The rejections:

McGill University (Montreal, Quebec, Canada)
    Colorado College (Colorado Springs, Colorado)
    Tufts University (Medford, Mass)

Well, that sums it up. I don't know what my final decision is yet. Any thoughts?
    Kind of seems like you applied for reach schools and safety schools. Doesnt seem like there is any middle ground although Im not familiar with U Puget Sound.