Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Okay, got in touch with RMH, they're not operating until the 15th, so that's not an option.

Downloaded Google Earth and am studying the approach. Looks like it would be an overnight hike/tour for sure. This is not a problem. I have all the gear (we weren't planning taking it all but now I guess we will). What I'm wondering is if I go up the canyon is there a trail? On google earth it looks like the canyon is a tough slog through bushes and stuff...

It looks like I'll have TR and a half to post from this epic.

What is the weather generally like in these mountains? I'm assuming (very roughly) that since the predominant storm path would be the same as for SLC, the storms come over the desert, pile up against the mountains in the afternoon, dump their load and move on? So unless it's actually precipitating, it's generally sunny right? Or do you guys get those dreary endless gray days?

-m

I went to the Rubies for a corn camp a few years ago, ended up snowing on us like a bastard.

Access is problematic, Lamoille is the best way to get up higher in the range. It's mostly surrounded by private ranches, so there's not alot of public trailhead access. Try Harrison Pass, I think that's on the southern end of the Ruby Mtn Wildnerness, we ended up camping there and skiing some shots north of the pass. South of Harrison isn't wilderness area and had some nice looking lines on it, too. Angel Lake is good access, but the road wasn't even open in May when I was there, I can't see it being open in Jan.

We went on a spring corn trip to the rubies a few yrs ago. Lamoille Canyon is the best access into the heart of the range. Lots of sleds, though. The rest seemed to be surrounded by alot of private ranches, making public trailhead access sparse and far away from snowline. Thompson Canyon is a side canyon off of Lamoille and had some sweet looking lines. Steep, though, and probably sketch in a Jan. snowpack.

We ended up on Harrison Pass, on the south end of the Ruby Mtn Wilderness. Okay access from there. Angel Lake is good, too (E. Humbolt Range?), but the road was still closed in May when I was there, can't see it being open in Jan.

Matt--

The rubies get the same storm track basically as SLC. For cheap and quiet stay at the High Desert Inn--For a little bit nicer stay at the Elko Hilton Garden Inn.

For food try The Star--gurantee you've never had anythng like it. For a decent brew place hit up The Stray Dog.

PM me if u have any more questions

EDIT: THIS IS P_MCPOPSER
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post

EDIT: THIS IS P_MCPOPSER
    Well I guess that other thread makes sense now.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

who is P_MCPOPSER anyways....pssshhh you're smoking crack kidwoo
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Bumping Spring 2010.

Anyone have a status report on snowpack around Terminal Cancer this season......and in particular from the storm going on this week?
    Donjoy to the World!

Quote Originally Posted by Huckwheat View Post
    Bumping Spring 2010.

Anyone have a status report on snowpack around Terminal Cancer this season......and in particular from the storm going on this week?
    It was waist deep about 5 days ago.

Friggin' bump.

Heading to the sierra for a week and toying with the idea of stopping in the rubies on my way back to silverton.

Any additional insights or recommendations? Should i plan on spending a night or two in the range or are there worthy day trips?

Is Terminal Cancer the line that was described accessed from Wells? Trip length?

Gracias.

I got a call from a guy who rides in the Boondocker sled movies the other day and he was asking for information about sledding up Terminal Cancer. He didn't seem very concerned about making the actual ascent, but more about getting off the backside, which would be pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by covert View Post
    Friggin' bump.

Heading to the sierra for a week and toying with the idea of stopping in the rubies on my way back to silverton.

Any additional insights or recommendations? Should i plan on spending a night or two in the range or are there worthy day trips?

Is Terminal Cancer the line that was described accessed from Wells? Trip length?

Gracias.
    TC is a half a day trip. We banged it out in 3 or 4 hours a couple weeks ago. Drive up Lamoille Canyon road and look to the right. we skinned a little from where we parked at the end of the plowed road and had a creek crossing right off the road before we got to the base of the couloir. Pretty straight forward. Spankthepow has a TR around here somewhere from our trip. Enjoy and hope no one beats you there as there isnt alot of room for tracks in there.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

I have to bump this up just for the awesome ridiculousness of this idea. God bless Team America!

Quote Originally Posted by StraightChuter View Post
    I got a call from a guy who rides in the Boondocker sled movies the other day and he was asking for information about sledding up Terminal Cancer. He didn't seem very concerned about making the actual ascent, but more about getting off the backside, which would be pretty easy.
    Yes!

God Bless redneck miners!

i'd ski the track if he towed me up.

any local beta on snowpack? holding tough or going fast?

hah!! that would be hilarious watching a sled come barrel rolling either back down tc or down the icefall on the other side. i'm not getting how coming down the other side is easy

Hmmmm, it might be doable. Not by me, but one of those crazy mofo's might be up for it.

It would be cool to see, but it would be a drag if it became a sledding test-piece and was constantly tracked out.

conditions still good!

Best
    Gary Begley
    www.garybegleysports.com

I'm working in Elko and with November closing in fast I have yet to get my September ski day in. This seems like a long shot, but anyone know if there are any patches of snow still up there right now? I figured with a banner snow year in the Wasatch there's a chance...

thanks for any info!

Quote Originally Posted by kbowm View Post
    I'm working in Elko and with November closing in fast I have yet to get my September ski day in. This seems like a long shot, but anyone know if there are any patches of snow still up there right now? I figured with a banner snow year in the Wasatch there's a chance...

thanks for any info!
    PM mountaingirl1961

It's patchy but your best bet is likely below Ruby Dome at this point. I'm leaving town early Friday morning but can open the gate at the bottom for you tomorrow, if you'd like. I haven't been up to Island Lake in a few weeks but can go give it a look-see tomorrow and report back. It was holding snow really well a month ago.
    Lifts are for sissies.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaingirl1961 View Post
    It's patchy but your best bet is likely below Ruby Dome at this point. I'm leaving town early Friday morning but can open the gate at the bottom for you tomorrow, if you'd like. I haven't been up to Island Lake in a few weeks but can go give it a look-see tomorrow and report back. It was holding snow really well a month ago.
    OK, here's what this morning's tour said... didn't have a lot of time to spend on this, sorry.

Hiked up to Island Lake. There are two patches remaining. The one below the gendarme under Full House looks better than the one right above the lake, but I couldn't see the bottom of it so couldn't see how it ended. Probably in a steep scree field like everything else up there.

From the Island Lake trail I got a decent view of a large patch underneath Liberty Pass. It should suit your needs, you might need to do some laps to get your TAY total. Certainly the most accessible option. There are a lot of other patches up there in the Madigans area.

From my house I can see a significant patch underneath Lee Peak, next to Ruby Dome. And, of course, there are the patches that often live all year underneath the Dome at the head of Right Fork Seitz.

For October, you might want to PM jw over on TTips. I know he's out of town right now, but there are some spots on Jeff Davis/Wheeler that hold a fair bit of snow late. He might be able to give you some insight as to current conditions. I know that dhm has gotten TAY trips in over there... he moved away from Ely a couple of years ago, though.
    Lifts are for sissies.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    It was waist deep about 5 days ago.
    There was an awesome article in last year's Powder Buyer's Guide about a trip Cody took all over NV. It was awesome. Having lived in Vegas 3 years, I was stoked to see credit given where it was due.

Cody- Can you share any more details on your trips around Lee Canyon? The article said they had to keep it under wraps, but I am curious how good the terrain is. I did a little bit of BC there, but barely enough to scratch the surface.

cody wasn't down for the vegas part of the article.

and there is no good skiing in the springs

2010 season

2011 season
    Last edited by cdlv; 09-30-2011 at 02:49 PM.

cdlv- Very nice. Thanks for sharing. I'll probably be down there in December for a conference, but I'm thinking of driving and bringing my gear. Would you be down for showing a couple Utards around?