Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Underground Bee Hive

Found one yesterday right next to the driveway under some flowering bushes and close to the house.

It’s a high traffic area for us and our young son and I’d like to look into relocating them as opposed to nuking from orbit and beheading the remains, of any.

I am well aware of all the yard signs in the neighborhood pleading for people not to spray for mosquitos and to save the pollinators. I can’t handle being ostracized by the community in the event someone sees me going into battle with bear spray, RAID and an electrified tennis racquet.

Any suggestions?
    I still call it The Jake.

Fire.

edit: but the internet says water is usually enough to convince them to look for a drier place

Fuck that, they are probably wasps or some other bee-related non-pollinator, right? Get a metal rake, a can of gas, and a lighter. Be ready to run.

Are they honey bees... or yellow jackets? 'Cause it makes a HUGE difference in the approach to take.

I've had ground bees in our back yard for over a decade. They are the least aggressive insect in our area. I even run the mower RIGHT OVER the little dirt mounds through clouds of them. Unless you are trying to squash them in your hand they will not sting you or your kids. Our kids, now teens in high school, also survived playing in the back yard with them there, rolling around on the ground, etc..

https://entomology.cals.cornell.edu/...your-backyard/

The big fat bumble bees in our shed are also harmless.

Now if you see a yellow jacket nest, nuke those fuckers!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Back in the day, bee tenders would come out and snag a good honey bee nest, not sure if they still do that.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Underground bee hive
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    they are probably wasps
    in the early morning, before they're active and likely all in the hive, nuke from orbit...you know the rest

you friendly local Ace should have the tools you need

Fuck that, they are probably wasps or some other bee-related non-pollinator, right? Get a metal rake, a can of gas, and a lighter. Be ready to run.
    Add fire extinguisher to this list. And do it at night.

So jam a hose down the hole and check in the morning?

Napalm as appropriate thereafter?
    I still call it The Jake.

Pour in a gallon (or several)Amonia - but will burn the grass too......as mentioned at night/dusk......

Actually wasps do pollinate...
    https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/po...ls/wasps.shtml

Googling "How to relocate a beehive" really only provides info on moving a manufactured hive (i.e. for honey production), but may offer a few helpful tips (like doing the work at night, for example):
    http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    So jam a hose down the hole and check in the morning?

Napalm as appropriate thereafter?
    You'll need an active agent; water won't do it

I was going to say nuke from orbit, but AC beat me to it, so I'll ask are you sure they're bees? A ground nest around my part of the woods is usually wasps. And I don't think honey bees build ground nests at all (?) whereas bumble bees - the furry ones - definitely do.

So if they're not bees, nobody cares if you kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    You'll need an active agent; water won't do it
    If they are wasps then yes definitely. Bur bees apparently not so. https://www.thoughtco.com/how-to-id-...d-bees-1968396

sounds like the OP needs to find out what they actually are.

Some bees do build underground hives.
    As do some wasps and some yellowjackets.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Pour some diesel fuel in there and light it up! Fuck the underground yellow jackets. Throw your ski gear on and tape all your openings shut. Put your googles on, and get a lighter and aerosol can. Torch the fuckers that escape.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

If they’re bees then call the local beekeeper co-op and they’ll come and relocate them.

If they’re wasps (likely yellowjackets) just call the exterminator and let them handle. $ well spent IME

I had a paper wasp nest last year in my shed so I waited til dark when they are not flying to hit the hole with a long blast of wasp killer and they were all dead in the am

use a head lamp to get you close and blast em
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    If they’re bees then call the local beekeeper co-op and they’ll come and relocate them.

If they’re wasps (likely yellowjackets) just call the exterminator and let them handle. $ well spent IME
    Where's the fun in that?

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Are they honey bees... or yellow jackets? 'Cause it makes a HUGE difference in the approach to take.
    I second assessing this first.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

kinda on topic, but also apropos of nothing
    When we moved to our current forested compound, the boy had a friend over & they were playing in the woods doing boy shit. They managed to upset some yellow jackets' nest & came screaming out of the forest with yj's all over them. My wife was at home, but, since we had just moved, she had zero tools to help ease to pain of the bites or go nuke the nest. She made them strip down to get all the bugs off and pushed them inside. Then she googled & came up with windex as a DIY home remedy for easing the pain. All she could do was try windex & try to get them to laugh at the ridiculous home remedies she was googling. We professionally pest controlled the nest the next day. Many years later, the boy is still very leery of all yellow/black flying insects...

Honey bees don't live under ground, but some other bees do. These are not problems. If you gotta, keep the area damp and they'll leave.

Yellow jackets and wasps are aggressive and mostly predatory against pollinators and are good candidates for chemical or nuclear warfare.

Beware of groundwater contamination so think twice before dumping that gallon of petrol down the hole. Pesticide is more environmentally friendly.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Our 5 y o was allergic to bees and I showed no mercy when I found a yellow jackets nesting in holes in the yard.

1 - Do the killing and night or early morning while the little bastards are in the nest.

2- Pour half a pint of gasoline in the hole

3- light it.

4- Check back during the day to kill stragglers/survivors with bee/wasp spray
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

We get a few yjs come around when we eat dinner outside, and they are annoying, but I don't know where they are coming from. If I did I would kill them all. But to prevent them from messing up dinner, I take a couple of pieces of meat and place it 60 or 70 feet away 5 minutes before eating. Yjs go to meat, we eat in peace.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.