Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: DHF DD vs Exo?

SS rolling resistance is significantly affected by rim width. Those tires were designed around a ~23mm rim, but most people are running them on something way wider. Which squares off the tire, and means you're rolling on the edges of the side knobs, which isn't as fast as it seems like it should be. The ss rolls faster and corners better with a rounder profile on a narrower rim.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    SS rolling resistance is significantly affected by rim width. Those tires were designed around a ~23mm rim, but most people are running them on something way wider. Which squares off the tire, and means you're rolling on the edges of the side knobs, which isn't as fast as it seems like it should be. The ss rolls faster and corners better with a rounder profile on a narrower rim.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    23mm?! Oh no that's like trying to ride without a droppah! Heh fuck I love my 21mm rims and rigid post fo evah.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMan View Post
    23mm?! Oh no that's like trying to ride without a droppah! Heh fuck I love my 21mm rims and rigid post fo evah.
    Yeah. And the 2.5" DHF was originally designed around a ~25mm rim. Which is why they came out with the WT version, since everyone was running the tires on way wider rims.

But most of the World Cup guys are running relatively narrow rims. If only Gwin would listen to the MTBR guys, he'd realize that if he had a 2.3" tire on a 40mm rim, maybe he'd finally win world champs.

Yeah. And the 2.5" DHF was originally designed around a ~25mm rim. Which is why they came out with the WT version, since everyone was running the tires on way wider rims.

But most of the World Cup guys are running relatively narrow rims. If only Gwin would listen to the MTBR guys, he'd realize that if he had a 2.3" tire on a 40mm rim, maybe he'd finally win world champs.
    Haha so true.

Are you sure about that? When the original 55x559 ETRTO 26x2.5 Minion DHF came out around 2004, most people were running Mavic EX721 rims with a 21mm internal width for DH, and the 23mm internal EX823 UST (also the deemax equivalent) was just coming out. Sun Rhyno XL's at 23mm internal had also been popular but were falling out of favor. Later in the 00's the DT EX500 (21mm internal) and the original Stan's Flow (22.5mm) came out. I can't think of any other popular DH race rims with a 25mm internal that came out until the Flow EX and the EX471, this decade.

There were always other wider DH rims available back then, like the EX729, Sun Doublewide or Tioga DH, but they weren't that popular for racing. People were also running 19mm internal rims on "all mountain" bikes for quite a while, like the EX819 UST. I don't really think 25mm internal became a standard width until this decade, well after the (undersized) 26x2.5 DHF came out.