Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Anybody live in or have experience with Idaho Falls

My wife has a job offer here and strongly considering a move for the outdoor recreation opportunities. Moving from Portland, we are aware of the lack of nightlife and morman population. We have a 14 month old.

Is this a good place to live and raise a child given the outdoor opportunities? Or are the drawbacks too much. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

IF.......

It’s about 90 min to Targhee in crappy weather, but less gonzo drive than the PDX-Hood shitshow. And way better terrain.
    Inhabitants are very conservative - and that’s not just among the Mormons. Waaayyyyy different vibe than PDX.
    Hope you don’t need convenient airline access. You choice is Boise or Jackson.
    Can’t help on MTB & water sports.

I'm aware that flights need to go through slc or Boise. How unlivable is the conservative situation. I've been in Seattle and pdx for the past 14 years, originally from Eastern Washington and familiar with redneck conservative to an extent. I'm conservative by Portland standards. But are we talking hate segregation or just rednecky

My experience - no overt racism and people are friendly. Just a conservative part of the country with an ag-based economy.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    My experience - no overt racism and people are friendly. Just a conservative part of the country with an ag-based economy.
    Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    mind your own business and you’ll be fine, speed limit is 80.
    Thanks gents, appreciate your Input. We are visiting the weekend after next.

Things I worry about are clique-ish behavior if we don't fit the mold. I don't really care about me, more for my son. Don't want him to be out casted.

I typically mind my own business and try to get outside and away from people as much as possible, unless it's on the ski hill.

Just left Boise after years in PDX and it is a huge culture shock even in “the big city.” It’s not even the politics of it, but the general attitude.

I found it really frustrating to try and work out there because everything moves so fucking slow and most of the people like it that way. Everything is done they way it’s always been done without much thought about making it better.

I also found that people were nice enough and generous to people they knew personally, but don’t give a fuck about services, infrastructure and anything that’s “greater good” sort of stuff. If you move there not knowing anyone you’ll be on your own. The racism and sexism and all that isn’t necessarily overt like Northern Idaho, but there’s a strong undercurrent of it everywhere.

That’s not IF specific, but I spent a lot of time living in Idaho and Utah and have a bunch of family in Eastern Idaho so I’ve put in some time in the general area.

Edit to add: I grew up as the only non-Mormon kid in my class and it was super hard. Kids couldn’t come over to my house, I got kicked off my little league team, they don’t trick-or-treat anywhere other than the church parking lot, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Just left Boise after years in PDX and it is a huge culture shock even in “the big city.” It’s not even the politics of it, but the general attitude.

I found it really frustrating to try and work out there because everything moves so fucking slow and most of the people like it that way. Everything is done they way it’s always been done without much thought about making it better.

I also found that people were nice enough and generous to people they knew personally, but don’t give a fuck about services, infrastructure and anything that’s “greater good” sort of stuff. If you move there not knowing anyone you’ll be on your own. The racism and sexism and all that isn’t necessarily overt like Northern Idaho, but there’s a strong undercurrent of it everywhere.

That’s not IF specific, but I spent a lot of time living in Idaho and Utah and have a bunch of family in Eastern Idaho so I’ve put in some time in the general area.

Edit to add: I grew up as the only non-Mormon kid in my class and it was super hard. Kids couldn’t come over to my house, I got kicked off my little league team, they don’t trick-or-treat anywhere other than the church parking lot, etc.
    This is valuable. Thank you. That's what I worry about with my son. Where did you grow up out of curiosity?

Quote Originally Posted by Cdubmpdx View Post
    This is valuable. Thank you. That's what I worry about with my son. Where did you grow up out of curiosity?

Sandy, UT. According to my wife, who grew up Mormon, Utah and Idaho have the same flavor of Mormons. Most other places they are a big minority so they are mellower.

Wife get a job at INL? We're over in Driggs, and we love it here. South Eastern Idaho is a political and religious extension of Utah, hell they settled the place. We came from SLC and found the Mormons here less intense. Avoid Rexburg

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Sandy, UT. According to my wife, who grew up Mormon, Utah and Idaho have the same flavor of Mormons. Most other places they are a big minority so they are mellower.
    Sorry that happened, Supermoon. As an LDS who grew up outside UT, it's hard to hear/understand those stories. I hear it's getting better with more non-LDS in Utah.

OP, Idaho Falls is going to be more like the eastern WA you grew up in than Supermoon's experience. Idaho Falls is kind of in a weird spot. Nothing much right there, but reasonably close to good outdoor stuff.

Does your wife work for NuScale? If so, tell her they are doing good work and to not fuck up the new installations at INL. I want these to work.

I think his only idea was that you should be able to fish in any river you want to. That, and he wanted to bring back the McRib.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Sorry that happened, Supermoon. As an LDS who grew up outside UT, it's hard to hear/understand those stories. I hear it's getting better with more non-LDS in Utah.

OP, Idaho Falls is going to be more like the eastern WA you grew up in than Supermoon's experience. Idaho Falls is kind of in a weird spot. Nothing much right there, but reasonably close to good outdoor stuff.
    I disagree. Idaho Falls is the capitol of Udaho. I would consider Idaho Falls fairly worse as far as an overpowering mormon population than Sandy. That place is as mormon exclusion can get. You are going to live with a bunch of people that don't want anything to do with you and you will become aware of that pretty quickly.

Theres a really good Mexican restaraunt downtown. That's all I got.

Quote Originally Posted by new yabyum View Post
    Wife get a job at INL? We're over in Driggs, and we love it here. South Eastern Idaho is a political and religious extension of Utah, hell they settled the place. We came from SLC and found the Mormons here less intense. Avoid Rexburg
    PM incoming

My wife grew up in IF and we head there 1-2 times a year. It will be a shock coming from PDX. Meh food, meh coffee, meh culture. Good fireworks.

No reason to fear the Mormons IMHO. They’re mostly harmless if you make your position clear from the get-go. Your boy will make friends at school. Your odds of having non-mo neighbors increases dramatically in the older part of town I.e. “downtown.”

Cost of living will be a fraction of the PNW.

If you can swing Driggs, do it.

I live an hour north of IF in the middle of nowhere. I visit IF about once a week for groceries, etc., so not much exposure to the town and its folks. I moved here from Boston. I was ready for a change and came here for the skiing and outdoors, which is a big change, but I grew up in an rural, ag-based area in Texas similar to the IF region. Cost of living is a lot less than MA.

It is growing in population, is very conservative and Mormon, probably not as much as Rexburg (avoid and obey all speed limits if you must pass through). Like TBS said, just conservative and ag-based. There are groups of non-Mormons, probably mostly working out at the INL, but how to find and connect with these people may be a bit challenging. Since I live so far away from IF, I end up limiting my time there, but everyone I have interacted with has been very nice and helpful. Not many options as far as dining and nightlife. However, the outdoor activities and proximity to excellent skiing make up for it. Targhee, Jackson, Sun Valley, Big Sky and Utah resorts all within reasonable driving distance. Lots of good hiking close by, just get some bear spray. Works well on things other than bears too.

Didn't snapt live in IF for a while? I think he is in the Driggs area now.

I spend about a day a week in IF for work, which happens to be at a manufacturing facility staffed pretty much exclusively by a large Mormon family. They have always treated me fair despite being some agnostic heathen.

I would not fear the conservative nature of Idaho Falls, between INL and other industries IF is growing and it Is not all Mormons. The conservative ag description is spot on. People will go out of their way to help their neighbors, but aren't going to vote in a lot of tax increases for stuff that isn't critical infrastructure kinda deal. It could be worse. The nightlife is going to suck, there is going to be a relative lack of diversity when it comes to food, with good Mexican being about as crazy as it gets. Otherwise a nice enough place.

IF is close to a bunch of great stuff but is a pretty meh looking town and all the big box places in Ammon have left most of the retail in IF looking pretty shitty. Neither here nor there but if you are looking for a place that would be described as "quaint" IF is not the place.

Now Rexburg on the other hand, despite rapid growth, that place operates as some backwater good ol Mormon boys club and you will have a tough go of it being an outsider.
    Live Free or Die

I grew up in small SE Idaho town, and later worked in Idaho Falls but lived in Pocatello. If you like to mountain bike, Pocatello would be a better option with lots of great trails from town, but ~45 min commute for her. Pebble Creek ski area is close to Poky, great backside skiing, and cheap. Idaho Falls never appealed to me because it doesn't have the proximity to the mountains that Poky does. I wouldn't worry too much about the conservative nature of the area, lots of great outdoor opportunities with few people trumps that IMO. DOE runs busses to the desert facilities but didn't to Idaho Falls itself when I worked there but that may have changed (assuming that's the job offer). Bus commute was great, extra sleep/read the paper etc. while leaving the driving up to someone else. Driggs is neat but getting pricey and longer commute.

I grew up skiing at Kelly Canyon and it was fun as a kid. It certainly lacks when compared to Targhee and the Village, especially now that the current owner's are devout and don't want you to ski on Sunday, but it got me started and I don't regret it one bit. IF is fine, the locals don't care if you are of their faith or not, outdoor recreational opportunities are excellent and the crowds are manageable. People are generally friendly and respectful. I think most people would be happy living there.
    More cowbell!!!

I appreciate all of your input. It's seems like there have been some different experiences, but overall seems like the LDS presence is for the most part a non-issue, and my son won't be exclused or limited. We haven't decided if where we would live. It will probably have something to do with where I am able to gain employment if at all.

If anyone else has experience please chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by spudbumkin View Post
    IF is fine, the locals don't care if you are of their faith or not, outdoor recreational opportunities are excellent and the crowds are manageable. People are generally friendly and respectful. I think most people would be happy living there.
    I concur.

Cheap flights on Allegiant to Vegas; they have a Costco and Cabela's; the doughy momo local scoops are decent folk.

My only thing to add is that I could never get over how dry it was in SE Idaho. Spring would come and folks would comment how green the hills were and I'm like no that is brown. Did grad school in Pocatello, taught a few labs in IF. IF seemed fine but boring. Poky is a bit funkier and better mtb/skiing near town but not sure what you would be willing to commute.