Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Yes, the apotheosis of Reliability.
    I always figured if you had the money to buy that car you had the money to fix it?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Jeeps, Toyotas and god forbid, Subarus. Yuck. All these vehicles are rather pedestrian.

If you have the means, spring for the Range Rover.
    Attachment 376728
    Was behind a two tone black/white autobiography edition yesterday…shit looked tacky as hell, but I guess you want people to notice you when you drop $200k on a car

Has anyone bought a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and regretted it?

Jeeps, Toyotas and god forbid, Subarus. Yuck. All these vehicles are rather pedestrian.

If you have the means, spring for the Range Rover.
    Attachment 376728
    Ewww; that thing is for nouveaus.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Here we go again with the bashing.

For those on a tighter budget, here's an older Mk4 that happens to fitted with an exquisite burl falconry box. Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 647
Size:  59.0 KB
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

but can you also fit a sheet of plywood in there at the same time? Didn’t think so.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    but can you also fit a sheet of plywood in there at the same time? Didn’t think so.
    Yeah, but who the fuck can afford plywood these days???
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

^^ he has a point.

Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post
    It was 1999. My roommates, Jason and Dylan and I were at the local punk/dive bar after seeing Fight Club at the movie house. I was feeling tired and wanted to head home. I checked on friends to see what their plan was.

Jason said, "I'm gonna go get Sean Penn high."
    "Okay," my response resembled a question. Was this some new version of "party like a rockstar?"

Just then I heard a voice behind me, "You guys wanna get out of here or what?"

I turn around and see Sean Penn standing in the flaxen ambiance of the street lamp. I decided to extend my night out.

Jason, who had never tried to score any drugs, up until then, earnestly departed hoping to come through for Sean, who was looking to party.

I had a Jeep Wrangler at the time. White with a burnt sienna interior and roll bar pad reminiscient of Daisy Duke's CJ7. No doors, no bikini top, and no backseat. Instead, a dog bed, covered in hair from my first best friend, Madeline, occupied the exposed former-seating-area.

Sean looks back at us, lights a cigarette, and asks, "You guys wanna go get some food?"

Of course we would. Sean asks if we have a car and I gesture towards the doorless and backseat-less Jeep on the street. We cross the parking lot of the Zephyr bar and as our collective feet move from the sidewalk to the city street, Dylan lets out a distinct and lucid, "Shotgun," putting Sean on Maddie's well-used dog bed.

We walk into the Hampton Inn coffee shop challenging the other patrons at 1:00am to believe what they are seeing and that, in fact, they are not having a fever dream about Sean Penn ordering French Onion Soup, against the recommendation of the giddy waittress.

Dylan and Sean are discussing the merits and limitations of the Fight Club as a movie versus book. Dylan mentions our friend Jake, who Sean immediately invites out. Sean pulls out his cellular telephone, circa 1998, and calls Jake's number.

We are young and it shows when Jake's mom answers the phone at 1:30am.

"Hi Barbara, this is Sean Penn, is Jake home?"

Jake is rustled from his sleep and Sean introduces himself again, "I'm having dinner with Dylan and Chad, wanna come down?"

"He wants to talk to you," Sean states handing me the phone.

"Yes, this is real. Yes, you should come down."

In seemingly minutes, Jake is walking into the Hampton Inn coffee shop, circling the dining room eyeballing our table to confirm he is not being bamboozled. His eyes widen, he makes his way towards us, he sits down.

It isn't long after this that our effervescent waitress arrives with our food, including the over-salted French Onion soup which she sets in front of Mr. Penn.

He takes a quick spoonfull and calls to our waitress as she walks away, "Hey."

She turns and watches as Sean adds a not-insignificant amount of salt to his soup.

Finally Jason arrives. He hands Sean the bag he worked so hard to acquire.

Sean pulls out two $100 bills. One he hands to Jason, the other he tosses on the table and states that, "dinner is on him."

He pushes in his chair and walks out.

That's my Jeep story.
    This is why I come here.

Sure you can. Put the bird in the drawer. Presto-whammo.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Yeah, but who the fuck can afford plywood these days???
    Sheikhs in Dubai with falcons probably can afford a sheet or two.

I like the Wranglers but they're tiny inside for some reason. I'm 6'2 and 220 and my shoulders were smashed the whole time I drove a Wrangler unlimited rental. Cool car otherwise but I wouldn't buy one after having one for a week.

I like the Wranglers but they're tiny inside for some reason. I'm 6'2 and 220 and my shoulders were smashed the whole time I drove a Wrangler unlimited rental. Cool car otherwise but I wouldn't buy one after having one for a week.

For those on a tighter budget, here's an older Mk4 that happens to fitted with an exquisite burl falconry box. Name:  Capture.JPG
    Looks like he bought that shit at pep boys. With apologies to sideshow bob, I long for the days when range rovers and falconry were gentleman’s pursuits; before every Tom Dick and Harry put (quite obviously non-bespoke) burl falcon boxes in their MK4s.

Oh well. I’ll stick to having ravens and crows follow me around in the Outback.

Quote Originally Posted by VTeton View Post
    Wranglers are far less likely to get stuck than anything else you mentioned.
    A story about this…
    I’m in Maui diving with an old friend who lives near Hana. One day on a shore dive we come out on this really nice beach, and see a topless Wrangler out in the surf, and a couple having a somewhat animated discussion - well, she was the most animated, he was just standing there heads down.

It turns out they were on their honeymoon and husband decided it would be fun to drive on the beach at low tide. Never mind the rental contract sez Don’t Take This Vehicle Off The Pavement. He got it stuck, the tide came back in and the water was up to the doors. Every wave that hit it would deposit little fish in the cockpit.

Buddy agrees to attempt a rescue (using his rusted out mid-80s F150 & winch) for a price of $100 to even try and another $200 if we succeed - which we did. I was surprised the guy carried that kind of cash around…

When Wrangler is back on solid ground buddy asks the husband “you like this rig a lot brah?”
    “Yea, it’s OK”
    “Enough to buy it from the rental agency and ship it back to LA? Because if they find out what happened that Jeep is yours.”
    Wife’s eyes get big…
    “Uhh, no, not that much.”

“So, Go -now - to the Napa store in Kahului. Get a set of sockets and end wrenches. Then go to the do-it-yourself car wash about three blocks from there. Take out the seats and floorboards. Wash and dry that interior real good. Then get underneath and make sure there is no seaweed hanging off the undercarriage. Then immediately take it back to the rental agency and exchange for something else.”

We had a really nice dinner that night with the proceeds. Still wonder whether that couple is still together.

I wouldn’t mind living near Hana for long while.

Jeeps and Hawaii is a combo that makes sense to me (just not out into the tidal zone)

I always imagined driving a red with tan interior 308 in HI.

I always imagined driving a red with tan interior 308 in HI.
    Ha! There’s an episode where he wakes up in the 30s and he drives a Bugatti type 37 GP. Obviously replica lol, even in the 80s I think those were hard to come by.

The show used a Volkswagen platform for the replica. This one is a Pur San and it uses the proper 8 cyl:

https://youtu.be/m_jl1aySZys

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Looks like he bought that shit at pep boys. With apologies to sideshow bob, I long for the days when range rovers and falconry were gentleman’s pursuits; before every Tom Dick and Harry put (quite obviously non-bespoke) burl falcon boxes in their MK4s.

Oh well. I’ll stick to having ravens and crows follow me around in the Outback.

Right?

If anyone wants to be someone, then they need to go with the Holland & Holland Range Rover or GTFO.

https://hollandandholland.com/range-rover
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Right?

If anyone wants to be someone, then they need to go with the Holland & Holland Range Rover or GTFO.

https://hollandandholland.com/range-rover
    Hehehe.

That’s at least getting you into something that won’t make the falcon think you’re some Johnny come lately with little more than a few bucks, a British whip and a tether. Note how the guy with the MK4 has placed a hood over the eyes of the falcon to keep it from noticing how janky the setup is.

better hope the front diff recall was done on that thing or you're gonna be sending your bird out for help.

Look, Bentley has one specifically for falconers, but I figured you cheap fucks wouldn't mind a older RR with an aftermarket kit. I guess I was wrong.

Jeeps and Hawaii is a combo that makes sense to me (just not out into the tidal zone)
    In some areas (not HI) it’s maybe just about timing

https://youtu.be/dxgb1wf7kZk

Look, Bentley has one specifically for falconers, but I figured you cheap fucks wouldn't mind a older RR with an aftermarket kit. I guess I was wrong.

Bwah - falconers in Central OR don’t need a fancy car, just a horse and the right apparel

My wife didn't believe the Sean Penn story, but I do.

For the record, even if it's bullshit, it's a great story.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    My wife didn't believe the Sean Penn story, but I do.

For the record, even if it's bullshit, it's a great story.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app
    #metoo
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier