Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF Silverton?

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Sure it's expensive for most average skiers and especially so if conditions are marginal but going there for marginal snow isn't their fault. That's a consumer choice.
    Snow report accuracy aside:

I think there is as much or more complaint about the guided experience than the price. Yea more than double the price sucks, but it really sucks when you need to organize a big group of friends who are a compatible ski group to road trip out there, which is hard to do when you are a real skier who makes decisions at the last minute so you don't show up for MARGINAL snow.

If you don't do that, you run the high risk of getting stuck with a semi-random group of beaters for $120 so you can pow-farm mid angle for 3-4 runs.

THAT is why unguided is better.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    During 'guided' is skiing unguided inbounds allowed?
    sorry for my ignorance, I've not travelled much with skis.
    No

It sure sucks for the locals who can't even ski a hill in their own town on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    It sure sucks for the locals who can't even ski a hill in their own town on a regular basis.
    Good thing they have highspeed internet now

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Snow report accuracy aside:

I think there is as much or more complaint about the guided experience than the price. Yea more than double the price sucks, but it really sucks when you need to organize a big group of friends who are a compatible ski group to road trip out there, which is hard to do when you are a real skier who makes decisions at the last minute so you don't show up for MARGINAL snow.

If you don't do that, you run the high risk of getting stuck with a semi-random group of beaters for $120 so you can pow-farm mid angle for 3-4 runs.

THAT is why unguided is better.
    I think it's pretty weak sauce to bitch online and misconstrue the experience when none of us have any idea what it's like to run the place or be there every day.

How many times have you been guided skiing there?

Who are these "real skiers"? How mature are they?

I go there solo all the time, hookup with random groups and generally get in a great day, skiing as many as 7 runs and averaging at least 5 in a guided group on steep terrain in good snow.

The owners are smart people and very likely just reacting to the market. Maybe they're just tired of dweebs who go on about "real skiers". I feel bad for the locals I know who would like to ski unguided, but I respect the owners, they probably have good reasons.

True.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Who are these "real skiers"? How mature are they?
    Real skiers don't lock down their destination to ski pow until the last moment. Please feel free to attempt to debate this point.

I go there solo all the time, hookup with random groups and generally get in a great day, skiing as many as 7 runs and averaging at least 5 in a guided group on steep terrain in good snow.
    If I averaged 5, I would not be satisfied (unless I was hiking the primo lines). 6 or 7 good lines is a happy average for me for unguided including some hiking. You have a lower standard so rolling up there by yourself is a safer bet.

I'm complaining from my point of view. I feel for the locals too. I also already acknowledged the owners may be trying to optimize revenue or reduce incidents, and that is their right but I sure as fuck don't have to be stoked about it.
    Last edited by Summit; 09-28-2016 at 06:50 PM.

WTF Silverton?

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    The same that goes on at any other ski area with avy terrain, avy risk, control work, closed areas, ropes, signs, rules.

I've never skied there during unguided but I can imagine it can easily become a massive headache and liability that they're not prepared to put up with any longer, especially if the alternative makes them more money and pays more employees wages.
    Sorry, not trying to point you out as many others have shared your point but I'm callin bullshit, Ive only ever heard of 1 for sure maybe 2, dbag incidents and every time I've been up there seen nothing but great clientele. I'm not trying to start an argument or blame the op but people randomly blaming one of the best patron groups I've ever been around for killing unguided is complete bullshit. Every time I'm there im the biggest asshole by far, everyone else is almost all smiles.
    Last edited by eskido; 09-28-2016 at 06:58 PM.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Real skiers don't lock down their destination to ski pow until the last moment
    I've been doing It all wrong
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Real skiers don't lock down their destination to ski pow until the last moment. Please feel free to attempt to debate this point.
    Remind me the next time you go to La Grave.
    If I averaged 5, I would not be satisfied (unless I was hiking the primo lines). 6 or 7 good lines is a happy average for me for unguided including some hiking. You have a lower standard so rolling up there by yourself is a safer bet.

I'm complaining from my point of view. I feel for the locals too. I also already acknowledged the owners may be trying to optimize revenue or reduce incidents, and that is their right but I sure as fuck don't have to be stoked about it.
    Maybe this is why they don't really want to support the unguided season? Try and consider your attitude and the image of not only Silverton Mountain, but yourself.

Real skiers? Really?
    Summit1776, you're just as much of a dick as you always were. Carry on.

Remind me the next time you go to La Grave.
    You think you have a point... except I haven't been to Europe with a locked down schedule nor have I gone solely for deep pow.

Maybe this is why they don't really want to support the unguided season?
    Well you have a point... they get to stretch out the pow longer with you taking fewer runs at a higher price and being stoked about it. Good business. I'm not sure if you are jealous or just the same douche you have always been.

I don't know Summit, I imagine there are plenty of passionate skiers out there that happen to have real jobs and can't just head for the hills on a drop of the dime. I'm guessing you are young yet and haven't felt the crushing responsibilities that time and a fulfilling life well lived tend to dish out.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

If I lived there I would try to organize the local ski community to create some nice ski-able glades above town there, maybe viewers left of the tiny town hill. There already is a mining road to ski up on. the trees look thick tho. There is at least 2k of vert below the treeline. It would be bad ass to create a semi controlled area/semi back country area right out of town. I think it could keep people around longer than the two or three days they usually stay to ski at Silverton Mountain. They might spend a day or two skinning and spending a little more money in the town.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I went to a silverton last season. I was checking out Colorado. Got there and I was the only one there. Not open. Chopper lands one client. It was right when things were warming up. Time of big slide red mountain pass. high northern was still skiing good. I asked about a half day in the heli. They had come in for lunch. Private heli no room for me. My take is Brill realizes easier to make money off the rich people. Why even bother with the resort. It was a learning experience for him. He learned about working with the government. Now he is securing permits all over AK. I do not know if he is still trying to expand his heli zone in Silveerton. higher profit less hassle why deal with Summit and his friends.
    there is another chair in town for the locals.
    off your knees Louie

Do real skiers hoard powder?
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

I don't know Summit, I imagine there are plenty of passionate skiers out there that happen to have real jobs and can't just head for the hills on a drop of the dime.
    If you live a life where you have to book your flight to Montrose or Durango or Denver weeks ahead because you want to ski pow... no problem! You can drive quite a few good places in a few hours depending on where is good when you get there.

But if you are booking guided skiing and a hotel at Silverton weeks ahead, then you might just end up with that "MARGINAL SNOW" you were warning us about earlier. It illustrates where your passion for skiing ranks in your life. That isn't a condemnation, but I believe you called it "consumer choice" in your earlier post.

It's way easier to be a passionate biker than a passionate skier.

passionate skiers ski all conditions.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    there is another chair in town for the locals.
    Yeah!!! - Kendall rules Silverton Drools

Name:  lodge-hill-profile.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  22.3 KB

"Real skiers" aren't profitable. TGR complains. Film at 11.

You think you have a point... except I haven't been to Europe with a locked down schedule nor have I gone solely for deep pow.
    So you're not a real skier because you don't lock down your destination to ski powder? It just sort of happens? Or can you time travel so you don't have to be bothered by schedules?
    Well you have a point... they get to stretch out the pow longer with you taking fewer runs at a higher price and being stoked about it. Good business. I'm not sure if you are jealous or just the same douche you have always been.
    In sum, the data is more like:
    0) For a little more than the price of regular lift served skiing, you get a very different and awesome experience in a guided group.
    1) In general when skiing Silverton solo, it's common to get 5 or 6 runs with an average group and you'll meet some great people and ski some great lines.

Feel free to whinge on about your feelings and standards. But don't misconstrue the situation in ignorance.

Also, how could I possibly be jealous? I'm off to ski with this guy:

What kind of bindings do real skiers use?
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Better yet, what's a real skiers workout?

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    The red ones, duh.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Better yet, what's a real skiers workout?
    Real skiers don't work out, they train, all summer and fall. Working out is for pussies.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

What goggle tint works best for guided skiing?
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Real skiers don't work out, they train, all summer and fall. Working out is for pussies.
    Train, workout. PotAtoe, potahtoe.