Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    One thing that bothers me about their pricing model and bigger picture practices though is that they've alienated a large segment of the regional population that I believe wants to ski, but have been priced out of it. Vail has essentially said they are not interested in serving that market
    It's surprising to me that Vail hasn't purchased one of the local Vancouver hills yet. That seems to be their overall strategy: buy small, regional hills thus encouraging the local skiers to buy Epic Passes and that encourages those folks to pony up on a destination vacation to one of Vail's premier resorts.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    Not sure how accommodation prices going up is Vails fault, other than obviously if the Epic pass is bringing more people in then hotels don’t have to discount. Occupancy rates have been steadily rising in Whistler long before Vail came in, blame the intensive marketing Whistler as a whole does if you want.
    Yep. For someone that has been to WB 6 times since 1985, almost evenly spread out, this is nothing compared to 1985 to 1995 in terms of changes and price increase. 1995 to 2005 is close

Am I the only one who's been ok with Vail? I thought I would hate them, but tbh, the season's pass is way cheaper now, anything harder than a groomed blue sees way less traffic (in my experience) and the staff I know on the service side are all loving life with the better tips they're getting from the flush tourists. Sure, its not perfect - the staff have to be clean shaven, the USD pricing was infuriating and they messed up the snowfall reporting, but some of that got fixed and the rest isn't the end of the world. The rules around booze are a bit weird though, especially for staff, and I imagine that's a bit frustrating.

My biggest fear was they were going to start closing areas and restricting access with a US eye to risk, but that hasn't seemed to happen (yet...)

Fancy pass is good for unlimited at Whistler, at Vail and Breckenridge, and good for seven days at Telluride -- I'm stoked.

What really gets to me is how Vail made Vancouver totally unaffordable.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    It's surprising to me that Vail hasn't purchased one of the local Vancouver hills yet. That seems to be their overall strategy: buy small, regional hills thus encouraging the local skiers to buy Epic Passes and that encourages those folks to pony up on a destination vacation to one of Vail's premier resorts.
    You're spot on about their strategy. I think Whistler, being less than 2 hours from Vancouver, is already considered penetration into the Vancouver market. No need to purchase Cypress, Grouse..etc

overall I'd say not much change with Vail, accommodation is simple supply and demand, and the past few years it's been a hot market.

One thing that bothers me about their pricing model and bigger picture practices though is that they've alienated a large segment of the regional population that I believe wants to ski, but have been priced out of it. Vail has essentially said they are not interested in serving that market, fair enough, but then to leverage your position and local and regional governments to oppose other resorts from gaining a foothold really is a dick move. Now, I think GAS is a crappy proposal in a crappy location (unless you're into real estate) for a ski area, but the Sea to Sky really could use another resort/area to cater to those disenfranchised and offer up a bit of competition in the market.

Anyway...at least the forecast is looking better in the short term!
    I agree, it's been coming, Vail or not. The reality is, the week long package tourists are what these places like Whistler rely on for survival. People who used to buy their tickets from the 7-11 in Squamish or more recently the occasional edge card days - are not the way to keep financially afloat.

I'm just waxing nostalgic. Whistler is still so damn magical.

Quick Q - Which bus company from YVR to the Village? The SkyLynx seems to the be The Authority, and then there's the Snowbus, slightly cheaper but their website has art and pictures and stuff. Will have me, one pair of underwear, two pairs of skis.

overall I'd say not much change with Vail, accommodation is simple supply and demand, and the past few years it's been a hot market.

One thing that bothers me about their pricing model and bigger picture practices though is that they've alienated a large segment of the regional population that I believe wants to ski, but have been priced out of it. Vail has essentially said they are not interested in serving that market, fair enough, but then to leverage your position and local and regional governments to oppose other resorts from gaining a foothold really is a dick move. Now, I think GAS is a crappy proposal in a crappy location (unless you're into real estate) for a ski area, but the Sea to Sky really could use another resort/area to cater to those disenfranchised and offer up a bit of competition in the market.

Anyway...at least the forecast is looking better in the short term!
    I think some other resort goers have complained that since joining Vail/Epic, accommodations, restaurants etc are over run but Whistler has always been crazy busy.

Has Vail made an effort to squash GAS? Obviously competition would be bad for them but what have their evil corporate tactics been? Secretly funding the local environmental opposition groups? I hope it does get built, solely to take the pressure off of Whistler ie more pow for us!

Definitely a little better out there today but the reality of the base hits you pretty hard as you body slam into a ditch.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    Has Vail made an effort to squash GAS? Obviously competition would be bad for them but what have their evil corporate tactics been? Secretly funding the local environmental opposition groups? I hope it does get built, solely to take the pressure off of Whistler ie more pow for us!
    I recall some senior management responses to the public comment period on the Env Approval process but can't find it with a quick google search. I'm sure there's been lobbying to local and regional gov's too as there's been pretty consistent opposition from the RMOW and SLRD. This was from earlier this year...
    SLRD RGS SUPPORT DEFERRED

A decision on whether or not to support the Squamish-Lillooet Regional District's (SLRD) new Regional Growth Strategy (RGS) amendment bylaw was deferred at the Jan. 22 council meeting to allow the new District of Squamish council a chance to discuss the matter in depth with the SLRD board.

The SLRD has been working on the amendment (considered to be an update rather than an overhaul) since 2016.

On June 5, 2018, council endorsed in principle a draft of the document, while suggesting two changes: specifically identifying certain types of development, like new destination resorts or backcountry resorts, as triggers for RGS amendments (which would require approval from member municipalities), and; adding option sites (which could be developed) that are already included in the Whistler Blackcomb Master Development Plan to Whistler's Settlement Plan map in the proposed RGS.

"The RMOW's proposed changes pertaining to amendment triggers were extensively discussed, but not supported by the remainder of the steering committee," said senior planner Jake Belobaba, in a presentation to council.

"The prevailing opinion was that the proposed changes are adequately addressed by the existing wording in the draft of the RGS, and other SLRD approval processes."

The second change was supported by the steering committee and incorporated into the draft.

While the option sites will now be included in Whistler's Settlement Area in the RGS, any proposed development would require an amendment to Whistler's Official Community Plan (currently sitting at first reading), as well as a rezoning.

Any development would also have to fit within Whistler's existing bed cap.

Whistler's request to include the option sites in its settlement plan drew attention from proponents of the proposed Garibaldi at Squamish (GAS) ski resort on Brohm Ridge at a recent Squamish council meeting.

According to the Squamish Chief, GAS' proponents argue that if Whistler's option sites are to be included within RGS settlement boundaries, it would only be fair to include GAS in that zone as well.

The assertion prompted a discussion, with Squamish council ultimately deciding to tell the SLRD a discussion ought to be had on the matter, and that the SLRD make further considerations about the fairness of the process.

But the comparison GAS is making to Whistler's option sites is potentially misleading, Crompton said after the Jan. 22 meeting.

"The comparison of Whistler Blackcomb, which is a ski resort in an existing municipality with a Master Development Agreement and 30 years history, to a speculative development outside of a municipality, is a conversation that is misleading in and of itself," he said.

The SLRD's next meeting is Wednesday, Jan. 30.

The RGS amendment will come back to council at a future meeting.
    few years ago... http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/W...323/story.html

Quote Originally Posted by Abol98 View Post
    Quick Q - Which bus company from YVR to the Village? The SkyLynx seems to the be The Authority, and then there's the Snowbus, slightly cheaper but their website has art and pictures and stuff. Will have me, one pair of underwear, two pairs of skis.
    Pros and cons to each;

Skylynx; set schedule, drop offs at creek and gateway loop in village. Good if you have little luggage or a friend picking you up or something, and the set schedule works for you.

Whistler shuttle/ridebooker; not set schedule they send vehicles depending on flight arrivals to minimize waits. Drop offs at all hotels, so good if you have loads of luggage/big group etc. Different vehicles sprinters/mini buses/full size coach.

Snowbus; I am not familiar with them but looks like similar to skylnx and cheaper.

Then a couple others that do downtown van to whistler, but I think with the time wasted on transit it's not worth it.

In case my negative comments earlier were taken to mean the disparagement of that company in any way, they are not.
    I think Vail is a well run, well managed, company and the staff and systems they have in place are first rate.
    They really are.
    The Vail staff and corporate management are FIRST RATE.
    And no one at Vail sucked me to make me say that.

Except for the fact that they count on the generosity (time and dedication) of a lot of volunteers for ops such as
    Safety Patrol
    Mountain Hosts
    etc.
    To that end, the perks don't align well with the commitments that these unpaid staff make.

That doesn't mean that they should continue to ignore the general affordability equation
    and the resort appeal to locals with more modest means.
    Such as, maybe adding a few bonus days to the Edge Card and/or allow the carry-over of unused tickets to summer, etc.

Basically, they could lower the daily posted rate during bad season opening periods,
    Allow passes to be extended a bit,
    and actually turn it into a marketing opportunity to get more people
    onto the hills and into the resort
    -- a marketing person with a creative bent could turn a bad season opening into a grand and memorable opportunity to create value and goodwill with all visitors alike.

Offering perks, offering bonuses, doing it as a marketing opportunity,
    could net Vail Corp much more than sitting on their hands and blowing a little snow here and there.
    It really could.
    They really could.
    Last edited by puregravity; 12-17-2019 at 06:04 PM.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

There are quite a few pissed off workers behind the scenes let me tell you.

Thank goodness it’s snowing

Good turns today. nice to be able to ride right to Handlebar now too.

Quote Originally Posted by JimLad View Post
    There are quite a few pissed off workers behind the scenes let me tell you.

Thank goodness it’s snowing
    https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/th...tain-cams.aspx

Snow-cam looks promising!
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Good turns today. nice to be able to ride right to Handlebar now too.
    That's what you do between runs?

I always wondered by there are no vending services in the Gondolla cars.

If they put a mini-spresso machine in the corner of the car, put a cam on it to catch vandals, and required a Credit Card linked pass to use it for hot chocolates and hot espressos en-route, they would make $$$ killing in revenue and encourage a lot of top-to-bottom ski activity.
    It just seems like the obvious has been overlooked.
    Comfy butts for 20 mins need hot drinks.
    Nice windows, nice brew.

I digress.

Whistler 2019 - 2020

Is it just me or does whistler seem to be twice as busy as Blackcomb this year? I’ve done quite a few half whis half bcomb days. Whis has been slammed in comparison. Especially the ski tourers, by like 5x.

Is it just me or does whistler ...
    Some things are better left unsaid.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    Some things are better left unsaid.
    not complaining. Function traffic must be bad this year - by the time you get to Creekside you've got no interest in driving any further.

Took a look around 7th heaven today. Still very thin over there. Last year at this time if you stepped of skis you’d sink to your neck in a bottomless snow pack. Right now you feel rocks and hard ground with every pole plant. This lift is definitely far from spinning...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0553.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	306596

Quote Originally Posted by ripvanwinter View Post
    Took a look around 7th heaven today. Still very thin over there. Last year at this time if you stepped of skis you’d sink to your neck in a bottomless snow pack.
    It was right around this time last year when it started dumping.

Is it just me or does whistler seem to be twice as busy as Blackcomb this year? I’ve done quite a few half whis half bcomb days. Whis has been slammed in comparison. Especially the ski tourers, by like 5x.
    Whistler is warning people that there is no beginner terrain open on Blackcomb. Also, until the latest snow, the runs on BC were in rougher shape than Whistler.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    Whistler is warning people that there is no beginner terrain open on Blackcomb.
    That's accurate IMO. Unless ducking the rope and enjoying Sunset Boulevard is what you do.
    Mrs. Clause is seriously interested in poaching the goods at some other Vail resorts.
    Accommodations and total cost of travel are the only barriers to deep endless powder turns.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    Pros and cons to each;

Skylynx; set schedule, drop offs at creek and gateway loop in village. Good if you have little luggage or a friend picking you up or something, and the set schedule works for you.

Whistler shuttle/ridebooker; not set schedule they send vehicles depending on flight arrivals to minimize waits. Drop offs at all hotels, so good if you have loads of luggage/big group etc. Different vehicles sprinters/mini buses/full size coach.

Snowbus; I am not familiar with them but looks like similar to skylnx and cheaper.

Then a couple others that do downtown van to whistler, but I think with the time wasted on transit it's not worth it.
    Thanks much.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    One thing that bothers me about their pricing model and bigger picture practices though is that they've alienated a large segment of the regional population that I believe wants to ski, but have been priced out of it.
    If u want to ski,buy a pass! The cost of the pass is cheaper than ever.

If u don’t want to ski,sit around and complain about how a day ticket is more expensive than ever....

Skiers figure out a way to pay for it- non skiers bitch about the cost of it
    Meh. I grew up skiing blackcomb, only because when I started skiing, it was actually affordable for middle class folks. If I was born now, there's no way my parents could afford taking me to WB, they arguably couldn't afford taking me skiing at all.

Seeing less and less little ones on the hills these days and that's actually kind of depressing. That's not the way one grows a sport.

... but hey, season passes are slightly cheaper since Vail took over for all of us, so fuck all the new-comers eh?

It does seem like sort of a short-sighted plan. I guess the idea is new skiers and boarders will learn at the small, feeder hills while the premier resorts will be focused on the established skiers (and the wealthy).

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    It does seem like sort of a short-sighted plan. I guess the idea is new skiers and boarders will learn at the small, feeder hills while the premier resorts will be focused on the established skiers (and the wealthy).
    yup, and WB will always be the premier resort, but look at the demographic trends and projections for the lower mainland, 1 million more residents in the next 20 years, the north shore mountains aren't going to cut it as feeders and the Sea to Sky will be the recreation destination for most of those people.