Page 133 of 508 FirstFirst ... 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,325 of 12696
    Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    this is such a cool camper!
    I can't 100% tell from your pics but can you walk thru from the cab to the back too?
    that might be another one of me dream vehicles
    I just parked next to him at Targhee!

Update on out Ski RV adventure:
    Dillon, CO: Has Overnight parking lots which alternate each day. Check the signs. Quiet Town and no issues sleeping there the one night
    Grand Targhee: Still offers the $20 RV parking pass (no services)
    Park City, UT: Outside of the Parking Districts, overnight street parking is allowed (we did 2 nights)
    Jackson, WY: found a great little parking lot in Wilson (see pic...lol)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TGR Park.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	651.9 KB 
ID:	221000

We recently had our first real ski camping trip to White Pass and Stevens Pass WA in our Escape 17B. It worked really great in temps down to 19F. Just kept the heat on and set to 60F while while travelling, and when we are camping we set it at a very comfortable 67F. Never froze anything but of course it wasn't that cold. This one has spray-foam insulation, extra wall insulation, and frameless thermal windows. The frameless windows reduce condensation, but it still gets really moist in there after 6 days with 2 people and a Husky. I keep the roof vent open but running the fan isn't really an option because it draws in so much cold air obviously.

The Honda Pilot tow vehicle works OK, but it's not great because of the really soft suspension. 14MPG with the skybox on, 15 without. I pretty much drive normal speeds though: 65-70 on the highway.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38714766144_1c95f85c8e_k.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	594.3 KB 
ID:	221005
    Stevens Pass RV lot ($40/night)

Name:	25561741398_4c1a8333c3_k (1).jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	221006
    White Pass RV lot (FREE!)

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    Well at least you have something. What's the ideal winter camping situation looking like in that dream?
    Something vintage with a modern drivetrain, 4wd and air bags so i can drop it in the parking lot. I’d love to build off of a Mid 30s Diamond T or and old Mack. A rat rod of campers. More realistically just a slide in for my truck though.

An MXT would make for a fun base too but that’s more buy and less build. I probably couldn’t afford the truck, never mind a camper conversion for it.

I’m currently helping a guy convert an FMTV to a camper which would be fun in a “drive over anything in my way including the road closure gate” kinda way but not sure I’d want to drive it too far, comfort wasn’t high on the design priority list. I don’t have any pics of his on my phone and we don’t have the box on yet but here’s basically what we started with.

Last edited by GPP33; 01-10-2018 at 05:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by B6Fischer View Post
    I just parked next to him at Targhee!
    Why did the plow guys make you move & not me? That was fucked up

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    Something vintage with a modern drivetrain, 4wd and air bags so i can drop it in the parking lot. I’d love to build off of a Mid 30s Diamond T or and old Mack. A rat rod of campers. More realistically just a slide in for my truck though.
    I think the build thread is gone, but I always lusted after this one over on pirate

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post

An MXT would make for a fun base too but that’s more buy and less build. I probably couldn’t afford the truck, never mind a camper conversion for it.

I’m currently helping a guy convert an FMTV to a camper which would be fun in a “drive over anything in my way including the road closure gate” kinda way but not sure I’d want to drive it too far, comfort wasn’t high on the design priority list. I don’t have any pics of his on my phone and we don’t have the box on yet but here’s basically what we started with.
    I drove enough FMTV's back in the day that I know they are crude, reliable for what they are, and definitely off-road capable. Comfortable they are not, noisy they are and huge. The MTX I feel like you could do on the cheaper side with a GMC Kodiak 4500 series. Then again, shit is going to be expensive and huge no matter how you skin it.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I think the build thread is gone, but I always lusted after this one over on pirate

That’s the build that got me thinking about a rat rod camper.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    I drove enough FMTV's back in the day that I know they are crude, reliable for what they are, and definitely off-road capable. Comfortable they are not, noisy they are and huge. The MTX I feel like you could do on the cheaper side with a GMC Kodiak 4500 series. Then again, shit is going to be expensive and huge no matter how you skin it.
    Yea, he’s putting a shit ton of insulation in it and some really nice seats but at the end of the day it’ll still be an FMTV. I just love the look and low slung stance of the MTX. It’s by far the lowest riding 4wd medium duty truck.

Aright which one of you dirtbags is this?

Seen in the 6200 S park n ride lot in Cottonwood Heights in UT. Roommate took the picture so I have no further information. Apparently lots of tape on the top LOL.

As for cold starting the 7.3 PSD, I don’t camp at snowy high altitude trailheads but at home it’s never had an issue with lows in the single digits. Dfinn never had an issue getting interlodged up Little Cottonwood multiple times with his. I tend to feel good maintenance and a fuel additive go a long way toward alleviating the problem. Then we don’t really get ‘real’ cold here in UT.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Aright which one of you dirtbags is this?

Seen in the 6200 S park n ride lot in Cottonwood Heights in UT. Roommate took the picture so I have no further information. Apparently lots of tape on the top LOL.

As for cold starting the 7.3 PSD, I don’t camp at snowy high altitude trailheads but at home it’s never had an issue with lows in the single digits. Dfinn never had an issue getting interlodged up Little Cottonwood multiple times with his. I tend to feel good maintenance and a fuel additive go a long way toward alleviating the problem. Then we don’t really get ‘real’ cold here in UT.
    Constantly parked at the Smith's/24 hour fitness in Sandy on 1300e and sego lilly. Saw it just yesterday. I chuckle everytime I see it.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Killing the game!

#SedanLife

Paging DD

^^^ When you're going for Mystery Machine, but only have a mid-90s Accord as your platform.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

2000 9-5 with snows, a winter bag and some grub. It's kind of stealthy because it's not exactly a typical "camper"

Name:	IMG_20180112_155424.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	221228

Damn son. You sleeping in that box? Props

I got 2000 9-3. I definitely have slept in it, but the floor is not flat and I had hard time making it comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by tmokes View Post
    I got 2000 9-3. I definitely have slept in it, but the floor is not flat and I had hard time making it comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I did level the surface but a wagon would work better and either way it only fits one. Comfort is relative. I've used it sparingly in camper mode, not more than two consecutive nights...yet.

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    The Honda Pilot tow vehicle works OK, but it's not great because of the really soft suspension. 14MPG with the skybox on, 15 without. I pretty much drive normal speeds though: 65-70 on the highway.

I have an 06 Pilot and tow an RPOD. I put in the rear air bags (Firestone one's maybe ~$100). It was a pretty easy install and made a world of difference on the rear suspension. Do it.

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    I have an 06 Pilot and tow an RPOD. I put in the rear air bags (Firestone one's maybe ~$100). It was a pretty easy install and made a world of difference on the rear suspension. Do it.
    Hmm ... good to know. I have never heard of putting airbags on a Pilot. That is probably the last trip with the Pilot though. Our new tow vehicle is a Colorado ZR2 Duramax. With front and rear locking diffs I don't think I would have had any issues!

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    With front and rear locking diffs I don't think I would have had any issues!
    What does that have to do with anything? Please enlighten.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    x2. You're gonna be locking both diffs (or just one) while towing an Escape 17?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Probably got to have rear locked to engage front locker: Thats the way most oem lockers function.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Not sure I understand why you say that, but with just the rear locking diff engaged in the ZR2, I would have had power to 3 wheels which would have been enough to get me through the deep chewed-up snow. Locking the front is for rock crawling and I would not have done that because it probably would have just gone sideways doing that.

Note that locking diffs in snow often results in the vehicle going sideways on the locked axle, but with the trailer on the back I think it would have resisted that nicely.

Locking diffs on ice is not recommended, but it is beneficial in deep snow.

Got home last night from a 3200 mile trip (8 nights in camper) in our Tundra 5.7L/FWC Hawk/DIY wind fairing rig. Despite cold dense air, some windy conditions and lots of snow/ice-covered roads, we got 13.6 MPG using MPG enhancement techniques, e.g., driving speed limit or slower, some two lane roads w/lower speed limits, coasting into speed zones and to stops, gradual acceleration, ethanol-free fuel when available, etc. Using the same techniques, we can get 15MPG on long highway trips in summer, sometimes a bit better or worse. OTOH, our MPG numbers are in the 12s (winter) or 13s (summer) when in a hurry and not using MPG enhancement techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSteve View Post
    Got home last night from a 3200 mile trip (8 nights in camper) in our Tundra 5.7L/FWC Hawk/DIY wind fairing rig. Despite cold dense air, some windy conditions and lots of snow/ice-covered roads, we got 13.6 MPG using MPG enhancement techniques, e.g., driving speed limit or slower, some two lane roads w/lower speed limits, coasting into speed zones and to stops, gradual acceleration, ethanol-free fuel when available, etc. Using the same techniques, we can get 15MPG on long highway trips in summer, sometimes a bit better or worse. OTOH, our MPG numbers are in the 12s (winter) or 13s (summer) when in a hurry and not using MPG enhancement techniques.
    Hmm, I got 13 mpg in my Chevy 2500 with a 2500lb Bigfoot camper with my foot mashed to the floor.