Page 29 of 56 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
    A friend bought some zero g tours. She said that theyre tech binding only. Is there a problem with those in an alpine binding? Its probably already been covered in here but i think i missed it

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Is there a problem with those in an alpine binding? Its probably already been covered in here but i think i missed it
    It depends on which alpine binding.

The white current model Zero G Tour has an ISO 9523 touring sole that cannot be replaced, which is only compatible with a small subset of alpine bindings. These are Marker Sole ID models (Squire ID, Griffon ID, Jester ID), Salomon/Atomic/Armada MNC models (Shift MNC, Warden 13 MNC, Warden 11 MNC), and Tyrollia AT models (Attack 14 AT). Aside from those bindings, the Zero G Tour will either not fit or may have release issues due to friction between the lug sole and the AFD contact plate.

If you are willing and able to mount and adjust your own bindings, there are a few more models that may "fit" but you are rolling the dice in terms of lateral release. First generation Zero G boots had replaceable soles and the flat ISO 5355 alpine soles from the Cochise line could be substituted.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    It depends on which alpine binding.

The white current model Zero G Tour has an ISO 9523 touring sole that cannot be replaced, which is only compatible with a small subset of alpine bindings. These are Marker Sole ID models (Squire ID, Griffon ID, Jester ID), Salomon/Atomic/Armada MNC models (Shift MNC, Warden 13 MNC, Warden 11 MNC), and Tyrollia AT models (Attack 14 AT). Aside from those bindings, the Zero G Tour will either not fit or may have release issues due to friction between the lug sole and the AFD contact plate.

If you are willing and able to mount and adjust your own bindings, there are a few more models that may "fit" but you are rolling the dice in terms of lateral release. First generation Zero G boots had replaceable soles and the flat ISO 5355 alpine soles from the Cochise line could be substituted.
    Thanks Greg. Looking at the sole i thought it would need a floating afd so i thought the shift was a no go. They asked about the shift. I suggested tecton or vipec. She may prefer the shift. Most of the time its on hill with the family. Good skier but ez on gear. Her old touring rig was a baron and a mastraele so the guide tour and shift will be major improvement all around

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Looking at the sole i thought it would need a floating afd so i thought the shift was a no go.
    The Shift has a sliding AFD.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    The Shift has a sliding AFD.
    Perfect. Thanks for the clarity

This may have been discussed upthread but I didn't find anything with a quick scan: is anyone dealing with ridiculously large amounts of snow getting into the boots?
    I spent a week trailbreaking in boot-deep cold (negative temps all week) dry pow and at the end of the every day my liners would be completely covered in snow. That's not all that unusual with touring boots but what I've never dealt with before is enough snow accumulating under the liner on top of the boot board to create noticeable heel lift. The first time it happened it felt like I had a small rock under my heel and I figured I had broken the boot board (heavily sanded and quite thin, could break and back) but it was just a pile of snow. Every day after that I'd pour enough snow out of the boot to pelt someone with a nice snowball.
    I wear Dynafit pants with a zippered cuff that hugs the boot pretty tightly (barely fits above the walk mode mechanism) so I'm not sure I can do anything on that front. If it hadn't been cold and that snow had melted my liners would have been soaked through in no time.
    Thoughts?

^^^50ish days on my boots and have never encountered this. I wear a typical (for non skimo-centric culture centers) pant w/gaiter until springtime. If you run your top buckles very loose and the pant doesn't cover that area maybe the front cuff is the entry point.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    This may have been discussed upthread but I didn't find anything with a quick scan: is anyone dealing with ridiculously large amounts of snow getting into the boots?
    I spent a week trailbreaking in boot-deep cold (negative temps all week) dry pow and at the end of the every day my liners would be completely covered in snow. That's not all that unusual with touring boots but what I've never dealt with before is enough snow accumulating under the liner on top of the boot board to create noticeable heel lift. The first time it happened it felt like I had a small rock under my heel and I figured I had broken the boot board (heavily sanded and quite thin, could break and back) but it was just a pile of snow. Every day after that I'd pour enough snow out of the boot to pelt someone with a nice snowball.
    I wear Dynafit pants with a zippered cuff that hugs the boot pretty tightly (barely fits above the walk mode mechanism) so I'm not sure I can do anything on that front. If it hadn't been cold and that snow had melted my liners would have been soaked through in no time.
    Thoughts?
    Time for some new pants...

I've had snow in between the top of my liners and shell but never enough to get under my foot. That does seem pretty odd.

Thoughts?
    Are you running your bottom buckles open?
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Are you running your bottom buckles open?
    Front bottom buckle closed with slight pressure, instep buckle loose. I tried to tighten it a bit when skinning to really press the rubber seal onto the shell but it affected the walk mode and that's not where the snow is coming in.
    I flip the cuff buckles opened in walk mode and keep them latched to 3rd slot on the ladder so I don't have to fiddle with them to go in ski mode, just flip them shut. The snow seems to be coming in between the shell and the cuff on the forward foot when breaking trail. If you look inside the boot without the liner there's an opening about 1 cm wide and 2 to 3 cm wide on both side of the walk mechanism when you put the boot at the end of its rearward travel. That directly exposes the liner and I imagine snow stick to it then falls into the boot when the boot flexes forward and there's space between liner & cuff. If it's cold enough that snow never melts and slowly accumulates.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Time for some new pants...
    The pants (Dynafit Mercury Pro) go over the cuff/buckle/walk mode and are pretty tight at the bottom of the cuff when zipped. I guess an inner gaiter with a tight elasctic at the bottom that can also go over both cuff buckles when they're opened may solve the problem but given the volume of the cuff we're entering park-riding snow-gangster level of bagginess.

If you look inside the boot without the liner there's an opening about 1 cm wide and 2 to 3 cm wide on both side of the walk mechanism when you put the boot at the end of its rearward travel. That directly exposes the liner and I imagine snow stick to it then falls into the boot when the boot flexes forward and there's space between liner & cuff.
    What about attaching a bellowed section of fabric or something to seal that area? Some avy airbag balloon fabric and hot glue gun might do the trick.

Or maybe stuff in some compressible foam to fill the big voids?

Something like this? Pic of just a basic concept, no clue what would be best in this case.

ski mode

Name:  P1120408.JPG
Views: 924
Size:  119.1 KB
    Name:  P1120409.JPG
Views: 918
Size:  156.2 KB

tour mode

Name:  P1120411.JPG
Views: 898
Size:  97.3 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

Not a bad idea. Maybe something to stick on the inside to avoid interference with the walk mode...

Thoughts?

IME its a small design detail but the snow cuff on some pants are just better, the arcterxy fury softshells i used to have were ok but the Arcterxy proclines are awesume in terms of type of choice of elastic/size of hole/rubber gripper on the elastic

I can get get a lot of snow in between the powerwrap & shell on my vulcans if I forget to pull the snow cuff over the boot top or if it doesnt stay and then what happens is I can't get the top buckle done up or the boot is really tight on the down
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Not a bad idea. Maybe something to stick on the inside to avoid interference with the walk mode...
    Any chance you can provide some pics of the boots in tour mode, rear cuff flexed to maximum rear rom, min rear rom, liners in/out, external and internal perspectives with internal spoiler both leaning forward and all the way back? Might provide some fodder for more ideas/brainstorming. PIA, but might be helpful if yer willing.

Did some quick goggling but couldn't find good examples.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Any chance you can provide some pics of the boots in tour mode, rear cuff flexed to maximum rear rom, min rear rom, liners in/out, external and internal perspectives with internal spoiler both leaning forward and all the way back? Might provide some fodder for more ideas/brainstorming. PIA, but might be helpful if yer willing.

Did some quick goggling but couldn't find good examples.
    Will do when I get home tonight for sure.

After lots of garage testing time I finally mounted up some shifts and took my zero Gs out for some skiing - they lasted about 2h30m.

2h of inbounds shakedown skiing one day, really liked how the boot skied - bumped the teeth of the top 2 buckles on each boot inwards. Next day out, took one inbounds lap to get to the lift to the sidecountry followed by a pow lap to a 20 min low angle skin. Got to the top of the skin to find the wire on the buckle of the top-right boot pulled out of the ferrule. Warranty requests have been sent. Anyone else have this happen?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200120_104209.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	311918

Name:	IMG_20200120_104219.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	311919

Name:	MVIMG_20200119_115633.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	870.3 KB 
ID:	311920

I don't think anyone has posted that failure mode here yet. Seems like a clear warranty issue, Josh at Tecnica is awesome on warranties

Quote Originally Posted by mildbill. View Post
    After lots of garage testing time I finally mounted up some shifts and took my zero Gs out for some skiing - they lasted about 2h30m.

Name:	IMG_20200120_104209.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	311918

Name:	IMG_20200120_104219.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	311919
    Unsolicited stop gap repair recommendation if yer interested:

Combo of these thingies u can get at the hardware store:

- coated steel cable
    - aluminum oval crush sleeves to fit the cable/wire
    - dunno what it's called; some kind of wire clamp thingy

Name:  P1120420.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  164.8 KB

Name:  P1120421.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  200.1 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Josh at Tecnica is awesome on warranties
    +1 - replacement parts, spares and hardware are already on the way.

Thanks for the stopgap recco - I was thinking something along those lines - strip the rubber off the cable, trim and thread, and re-crimp.

Until the parts come you could probably use the boot with a longest Voile ski strap or 2

I always carry 3 or 4 in the pack for touring

I find these guys get you a more progressive feel....

https://titanstraps.com/shop-straps/...industrial-25/

+1 - replacement parts, spares and hardware are already on the way.

Thanks for the stopgap recco - I was thinking something along those lines - strip the rubber off the cable, trim and thread, and re-crimp.
    Even easier is cut off that entire metal loop bit and use dyneema cord that is at least double fisherman's knotted.
    I use the 5/64th in this first link, and keep some in my repair kit.
    https://www.westmarine.com/buy/new-e...79?recordNum=6
    OR
    https://www.westmarine.com/buy/new-e...9?recordNum=17

I find these guys get you a more progressive feel....

https://titanstraps.com/shop-straps/...industrial-25/
    yeah I got some of those ^^ as well, everyone should carry a few on tour

my buddy lost a tech toe piece ( its totally fucking gone ) in the early season low tide and instead of a really shitty posthole & hike out of there he was able to terry fox it up & out no problem

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    he was able to terry fox it up & out no problem
    had to wikipedia that one from south of the border...