Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    It's a big group but they (we) are dying off fast. When did old people ever leave gracefully, ever, in history? Just fucking deal. Do what you can, and know for a fact that in ~20 years, it will be you getting the blame.

Focus on the real enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    It's a big group but they (we) are dying off fast. When did old people ever leave gracefully, ever, in history? Just fucking deal. Do what you can, and know for a fact that in ~20 years, it will be you getting the blame.

Exactly. Good point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    So the bank will be better off with the home you bled and sweated your entire to own than your own kids will be?? Spoken like a true Boomer Ice! Yay wealth concentration at the top!
    Are you really that much of a fuckwit? Inherited wealth is bad for the world, and bad for the people who get it. Better to spend it on shit that people get paid to produce than it is to preserve it. It's far better to do that, or just give it to charity, than it is to pass it down for the "benefit" of your kids.

This shit is obvious to a person who thinks, my man.

Don't worry, people already blame millennials for everything. We're used to it.

Old people get scared, I know that for a fact. Hell old dogs get scared. It's because your capacity to deal with major problems is diminished. Understand the impulse and forgive it and don't make the same mistakes if you can avoid them. Boomers started out okay, they had their hearts in the right place, then they had responsibilities like kids, then they got scared. It's how it goes.

Again, the real enemy is the concentration of wealth at the very top, focus on that. Let the old folks go to see other old folks play old songs at inflated ticket prices and work on your own shit.

Passing it down to your offspring is pretty much the worst thing you could do with your money. For an essay's worth of reasons but I don't feel like writing an essay right now. Trust me, the world will be better off if you just spend the shit and give away the rest in your will.
    Look, as much as I would like to be able to fix/cure all that ills this world, the best I can do is make it a better place for my kids and hopefully theirs before I check out. Part of that is helping them buy homes where they want to live and leaving them a solid legacy to help them have a good life.
    The deal in our family is the grand parents leave what they have left for the grand kids. That helped us and I intend to honor that for my grand kids or children if they remain childless.
    Families need to help each other succeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Look, as much as I would like to be able to fix/cure all that ills this world, the best I can do is make it a better place for my kids and hopefully theirs before I check out. Part of that is helping them buy homes where they want to live and leaving them a solid legacy to help them have a good life.
    The deal in our family is the grand parents leave what they have left for the grand kids. That helped us and I intend to honor that for my grand kids or children if they remain childless.
    Families need to help each other succeed.
    This guy gets it. Think global, act local, eh?

What we did was pay for education. We might end up leaving some real estate since we need to live somewhere, but other than that they are free of debt, educated, and healthy. Beyond that they're on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    This guy gets it. Think global, act local, eh?
    He's completely wrong imo.

edit: I mean I totally get the impulse. I used to feel that way, back when things started to go good for us. But I kept thinking about it, and I (we) came to a different conclusion.

So far, at least. Maybe it'll change, I dunno.

He's completely wrong imo.

edit: I mean I totally get the impulse. I used to feel that way, back when things started to go good for us. But I kept thinking about it, and I (we) came to a different conclusion.

So far, at least. Maybe it'll change, I dunno.
    Once we're able to Pierce the old money trusts and restore proper inheritance taxes, I agree, but until then there's somewhat of an imperative to leave something if you don't want your kids to be worse off than you were.
    Modern capital accumulation is nuts, and when you look at the enabling effects it has for modern entrepreneurship it's magnified.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Likely, being in the trades, fred deals with a lot of people that want high end domestic shit, who are, given that as icemang sagaciously summarizes, older and likely b00mers.
    Hunh, I just figured that some older guy dazzled fred’s girlfriend with a little big spending then fucked her. I bet that’s close.

Boomers started out okay, they had their hearts in the right place, then they had responsibilities like kids, then they got scared. It's how it goes.
    And jaded.

Hell, I'm a genXer and I'm jaded.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Once we're able to Pierce the old money trusts and restore proper inheritance taxes, I agree, but until then there's somewhat of an imperative to leave something if you don't want your kids to be worse off than you were.
    Modern capital accumulation is nuts, and when you look at the enabling effects it has for modern entrepreneurship it's magnified.
    Well nothing's written in stone, as I tried to allude to. We'll see what happens. I'd like to finish thinking about this before the alzheimers kicks in though.

Yeah, well generational warfare merely compliments all the other distracted squabbling among the hoi polloi while the .01% squeeze our remains.
    Look ! Guns!
    Look! Abortion!
    Look! Immigration!
    Look Gays!
    Look Racial h00haw!
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

you get it

I already knew it but felt the need to say that anyways.

My problem is that they're more susceptible to fake news, social media manipulation and all these false things like "can't work a socket wrench, can't be trusted with the nation hurr Durr". .
    ^This is an underrated comment. The generation that refuses to die is also completely ill equipped to function in a world that hatched out of their fuck-ups. And they can't resist putting fleshy hands on their side of the scale while falling for political Nigerian prince scams.

The icing on the cake is when the millennials actually try to reel in the .01 % the boomers go "now wait a second... let's not get ahead of ourselves... they wouldn't be successful if they didn't know what they are doing..."

We have met the enemy..... and it is us.

no it's them, guy.

^i can be a massicist at times.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Imperial or metric?
    Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    Depends what year Jag you drive.
    My 73 Pinto had both.

I would like to point out that it's not boomers who are too stupid to vaccinate their kids. We all vaccinated ours. Most of us had the childhood diseases and didn't want our kids to go through them. I had polio--no paralysis but I like to blame it for my general athletic ineptitude and pencil arms, legs, and neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    ^This is an underrated comment. The generation that refuses to die is also completely ill equipped to function in a world that hatched out of their fuck-ups. And they can't resist putting fleshy hands on their side of the scale while falling for political Nigerian prince scams.

The icing on the cake is when the millennials actually try to reel in the .01 % the boomers go "now wait a second... let's not get ahead of ourselves... they wouldn't be successful if they didn't know what they are doing..."

Hopefully, the AJ Soprano Generation of Tattooed Little Boys In Stretch Pants won't all fuck up their own suicides. Take your fucking comic book cosplay with you.

As a "millennial" (I'm that weird tweener gen in the early 80s), I just want boomers to get out of the way.
    They fucked things up, whatever, I'm over it. My problem is that they're more susceptible to fake news, social media manipulation and all these false things like "can't work a socket wrench, can't be trusted with the nation hurr Durr".
    Just stop. The crony gangs aren't cutting it in the modern age (just like look at the indictments in Bush/Trump and to a lesser extent Clinton), so let the new competent folks in to do the job.
    Iceman is spot on that it's the .01% we need to curtail, but we can't do that with Boomer majorities voting for people that enable them and for people that restrict the voting rights of younger people.
    I'm just here trying to fix the mess so my kids aren't killed off by climate change after 30+ years of people sticking their fingers in their ears around climate risk.
    Just walk away. Let us try and fail and try again instead of insisting on continuing to hamstring the rest of us. You probably had crappy parenting and social influences. Abdicate responsibility for all I care, just sit down and be quiet for once.
    Yup born at the end of the 70's and the socket wrench story is real, as are the flat earthers and a whole host of other stupid shit.

I wish many of the same things as you, but it'd be nice if the millennials shut the fuck up and hid. Easily the most painfully obtuse, vain group of self-entitled assholes who wear gullibility as a badge of honor. Gen z has some hope though.

Ice, I've got college paid for my little ones and bought them houses (we'll see if they keep them). Worst case scenario its residual income for them, a rather inefficient UBI of sorts.

Look around people. Get some perspective.

I dunno who’s railing about weed but I know my 80+ year old dad voted to legalize weed in 1972. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cali...tion_19_(1972)

My dad had polio at 13. Polio motherfuckers. Not something anyone in this board ever had to worry about.

He was told he couldn’t go into restaurants and was denied apartment rentals because of his race. In SF.In the 1960’s.

There’s a bunch of old people out there who experienced real issues and hardships and tried for many things GenXers and Millennials have been bitching about in this thread. They were successful at some and not others.

Everything is impermanent. Suffering. Pleasure.

You can choose to be bitter or you can live your best life with what you have right at this moment.

Up to you, bitches

Are you really that much of a fuckwit? Inherited wealth is bad for the world, and bad for the people who get it. Better to spend it on shit that people get paid to produce than it is to preserve it. It's far better to do that, or just give it to charity, than it is to pass it down for the "benefit" of your kids.

This shit is obvious to a person who thinks, my man.
    Capital velocity is an important economic term. But I do get that people want to make their offsprings’ lives better. A really good quote from earlier in the thread:

Tough times create strong men.
    Strong men create good times.
    Good times create weak men.
    Weak men create tough times.

Funny, I was having a beer tonight with a friend I view as a conversationalist. He asked me me why I didn’t want to run for local office. My joking response was that I don’t have kids so he should run and fix their future. My real response was I have too many skeletons but I do believe in leaving things better than I find them.

Honestly, I’m lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Deebased View Post
    Yup born at the end of the 70's and the socket wrench story is real, as are the flat earthers and a whole host of other stupid shit.

I wish many of the same things as you, but it'd be nice if the millennials shut the fuck up and hid. Easily the most painfully obtuse, vain group of self-entitled assholes who wear gullibility as a badge of honor. Gen z has some hope though.

Ice, I've got college paid for my little ones and bought them houses (we'll see if they keep them). Worst case scenario its residual income for them, a rather inefficient UBI of sorts.
    That hasn't been my experience with millennials,but there's plenty of bad apples, like all gens.

Agreed on the younger gen though. I look at our recent and past interns and they are mind-blowingly mature, on average (still some dickheads, but what can ya do).