Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Confession vs Bodacious

So, I've been ready to pull the trigger on the Bodacious since it's going away - but I also have the potential for a good deal on the confession.

So, I've skied the OG Bodacious in a 177 - and I think I'm willing to size up to a 186. So, the "redux" black 2019 Bodacious is what we're talking about - and it's apparently the same as the OG.

The Confession I'm looking at is a 186 2019 version too.

So, any beta you can offer between the two would be awesome.

---
    If I were to err, I'd probably err on the heavy/missle/bomber side vs "playful." [I think that favors the Bodacious.]

Also, there have been reports of delam issues on several Volkl skis, and the confession in specific. So if there's any insight there, that would be handy. [Perhaps another + on the Bodacious side.]

Finally, I like to throw things sideways, so I wonder how well the Confession handles this. [The OG and Cochise are perfect in this regard.] How locked is the Confession?

TIA
    -Greg

Fwiw I hated the confession, but loved the og cochise, haven’t skied the og bodacious but I would bet they’re about what I would expect out of a 10mm wider and slightly heavier cochise.

I found the confession to feel light and to deflect easy, I also found the tail super locked in but that might have been the tune on the demo pair. Also they delammed throughout the demo day, not under my feet but under someone else.

Basically I’d go with the bodacious, way better built ski and I prefer the shape and rocker profile of the og flip core skis.

Bodacious is a cult ski. Don’t hear much chatter about the love for Confessions IME

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    If I were to err, I'd probably err on the heavy/missle/bomber side vs "playful." [I think that favors the Bodacious.]

Also, there have been reports of delam issues on several Volkl skis, and the confession in specific. So if there's any insight there, that would be handy. [Perhaps another + on the Bodacious side.]

Finally, I like to throw things sideways, so I wonder how well the Confession handles this. [The OG and Cochise are perfect in this regard.] How locked is the Confession?
    I'd say the Bodacious tracks better at the limit but is harder to "throw sideways" in a panic; it's designed for the skier who just points it and trusts that the hill will flatten out eventually. Even though I own two pairs of Bodacious, I find myself spending most of my time on the Rustler 11 these days (and if I was on Völkl I would be on the Revolt 121 rather than the Confession). Just because a ski is being phased out or you can get a killer price on it isn't the best reason to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I'd say the Bodacious tracks better at the limit but is harder to "throw sideways" in a panic; it's designed for the skier who just points it and trusts that the hill will flatten out eventually.
    Haven't skied the Confession, so I can't speak to that comparison, but what I would say about the Bodacious is that, while I totally agree about the bold part (emphasis mine), I do think that it's very easy to throw sideways and shut down *for how much of an absolute steamroller it is*. Obviously that's a pretty big caveat, but it is why I love that ski so much.

...it's designed for the skier who just points it and trusts that the hill will flatten out eventually.

Just because a ski is being phased out or you can get a killer price on it isn't the best reason to buy it.
    That's the money quote. LOL. And I tend to agree with it. But that's part of what I love about it too.
    I've seen your comments about the Rustler-11 too. But I'm skeptical, I guess - at least that I'll like them that much.

And perhaps I gave the wrong impression. I'm not buying the Bodacious because it's going away and it's cheap - I'm buying it because I think I want to size up. [Contrary to what I thought a year ago.] I sized up on the Cochise and I'm rather shocked at how much I like them - even in places I thought I wouldn't. [There's a semi-long story about how I ended up with a 185 Cochise - but that belongs in another thread.] And these, even though they are "cheap-ish" [$425 from Corbetts] are the most I've ever paid for a pair of skis ever. So, it's not the "cheap" bug that's pushing me. I am probably feeling a bit more pushed, since I can't sit and wait for a cheaper pair to show up, now that it's going away, and will probably be hoarded. And I like those black topsheets.

I'm the ultra ski deal hound. I picked up a pair of Kastle FX104's, mounted (fairly beat up top-sheets, but awesome otherwise) for <$160 with shipping. So, this purchase will kill my reputation as a "cheap bastard."

@HAB, SJ and MRF - that's really helpful - and seems to mirror what I've seen/read about the two.
    Still glad for any other input out there.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Haven't skied the Confession, so I can't speak to that comparison, but what I would say about the Bodacious is that, while I totally agree about the bold part (emphasis mine), I do think that it's very easy to throw sideways and shut down *for how much of an absolute steamroller it is*. Obviously that's a pretty big caveat, but it is why I love that ski so much.
    You can throw any ski sideways quickly if you unweight it enough - with the Bodacious, that can be a lot. It's not the best tool in a narrow chute when you are unwilling to straightline it if you miss a turn; critical speed control in tight spaces often requires a bit of a "hop" to get the turn started. The more rockered tail on the Confession releases easier, but the ski is not as precise or stable under normal conditions. FWIW, as wasatchback mentioned, there are quite a few of the current (original shape) black Bodacious around still, and they aren't exactly flying off the rack.

I'm buying it because I think I want to size up.
    How tall are you and what do you weigh?

How tall are you and what do you weigh?
    5'7" (on a good day) and ~140-145.

I should also note, that I'm skiing almost exclusively in the PNW / Hood. Float is usually not an issue in the denser snow, the ability to steamroll heavy chop is more important. (And, in fact, I pretty regularly find myself bringing out the OG's on days when there's only, say 4-6" on top, but the snow is funky enough that, for some reason I can't determine, the Bodacious skis better than the Cochise.)

The real question; "What is terminal velocity on a pair of those black beasts!"

In my experience you'll be limiting factor on the top speed of the black beasts. They will go as fast as your willing to go without complaining about it. Bodes are great in dense PNW chop but IMO Billy Goats are better chop slayers. BGs flatten out and just smash chop.

+1 to all of that. With that being said, OP, I have 35lbs and 5" on you, and the 186 Bode is a heavy ski to move around. But it sounds like you are up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    In my experience you'll be limiting factor on the top speed of the black beasts. They will go as fast as your willing to go without complaining about it. Bodes are great in dense PNW chop but IMO Billy Goats are better chop slayers. BGs flatten out and just smash chop.
    Yeah, I've heard this. ON3P is just up the street from me too.
    I sent them an email early last winter asking if I could demo some stuff, since I'm local - never heard back. FTR, I'd like to try the Wren Ti and the BG.

But really, the BG is more stable and such, than the Bodes? [Or just a better chop destroyer, somehow?]
    The supergoats, talked about around here, always sounded like a lot of fun too.

The BG and Bodes overlap quite a bit but there are differences. BGs have way more splay, are more maneuverable and are better in powder. Bodes take more rider input and are heavier. BGs are meh to carve. The Bodes are a blast when you put them on edge. They are my favorite fat ski to carve because they absolutely rip. Both are excellent skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    The BG and Bodes overlap quite a bit but there are differences. BGs have way more splay, are more maneuverable and are better in powder. Bodes take more rider input and are heavier. BGs are meh to carve. The Bodes are a blast when you put them on edge. They are my favorite fat ski to carve because they absolutely rip. Both are excellent skis.
    Agree with Kopi_Red's assessment - Billy Goats ride up above the snow (pow OR chop) while Bodacious kind of submarines along. BGs don't carve, while Bodacious will rip GS/Super G turns like a mofo. Wouldn't be a terrible idea to have both in the quiver, many people here do. For me, at 5'8" 170, the 186 Bodacious is plenty of ski, and can be a handful in tight quarters.

I really need to get on a pair of BGs one of these days...

Of course, with Wren 113s, Bodacious, Bibbys, Renegades and Protests, the fat end of my quiver is pretty crowded. But hey, more skis are fun.

Also, very strongly agreed with the above, the Bodacious is stupid fun to rip big carved turns on for a 118mm underfoot ski.

I'm 5' 4" and have skied both the 186 and 196 OG bodacious. Had the 186 for several seasons until the edge finally blew. I bought them for 250 with bindings from someone who im pretty sure had put a hundred days atleast on them and I was still able to do a few comps and ski well over a hundred days on them over a few seasons(don't ski much resort these days) Awesome Ski. This year there was a pair of 196's on here for a decent price so grabbed them. Took a few runs to get the handle of them as they are chonky bastards but I find them very easy to release the edge and Mcconkey turn while when pinning it is the game they have excellent stability. Sure not as easy to smear as Renegades or Hoji's but as mentioned above these things RAIL carves on hard snow and are insanely fun. Most of my resort skiing is Lake Louise and Kicking horse and These days I usually only ski inbounds on quiet hardpack days and I still happily pick these wide boi's up most days.

Quote Originally Posted by LSeed View Post
    I'm 5' 4" and have skied both the 186 and 196 OG bodacious. Had the 186 for several seasons until the edge finally blew. I bought them for 250 with bindings from someone who im pretty sure had put a hundred days atleast on them and I was still able to do a few comps and ski well over a hundred days on them over a few seasons(don't ski much resort these days) Awesome Ski. This year there was a pair of 196's on here for a decent price so grabbed them. Took a few runs to get the handle of them as they are chonky bastards but I find them very easy to release the edge and Mcconkey turn while when pinning it is the game they have excellent stability. Sure not as easy to smear as Renegades or Hoji's but as mentioned above these things RAIL carves on hard snow and are insanely fun. Most of my resort skiing is Lake Louise and Kicking horse and These days I usually only ski inbounds on quiet hardpack days and I still happily pick these wide boi's up most days.
    I’d agree with most of this. I’ve always felt the og bodacious is a super easy ski but stable. These days I generally ski it on dust on crust days as it’s damp and so easy to ski. While the Hoji designed skis are easier to slarve I think the renegade charges harder than the bodacious. But does take a more active driver. Only skied two runs on the confession and they just seemed boring.

Thanks all for all the replies.
    So, I think I'll plan on the Bodacious - provided I decide to buy something.

[I do have a pair of Volkl Ones, which I like quite a lot, and seem more like the BG - but haven't compared the two much. But the Ones don't come out much - they're generally a "loaner" ski for friends to ski on pow days, and I ski the Bodes. I don't think I skied them even once this last year - though there weren't any truly deep pow days I got last year. There were some days with a lot of new, but it was pretty dense and windy those days, and while the skiing was awesome, it wasn't deep. Much more Cochise/Bodes conditions than Ones.]

-Greg

Well, that's done.

Found a pair of the current black top-sheet ones locally at a pretty decent price, mounted with demo bindings - checks all the boxes, except the bindings are the old jesters with that horrid heel. I'm sure I'll manage somehow. [I wasn't even looking for them - I just stumbled across them searching for some skis for a friend. I took it as a sign I *must* buy them.]

Now to see how well I like them in 186 - "eventually the hill will flatten out, eh?"

Well, that's done.

Found a pair of the current black top-sheet ones locally at a pretty decent price, mounted with demo bindings - checks all the boxes, except the bindings are the old jesters with that horrid heel. I'm sure I'll manage somehow. [I wasn't even looking for them - I just stumbled across them searching for some skis for a friend. I took it as a sign I *must* buy them.]

Now to see how well I like them in 186 - "eventually the hill will flatten out, eh?"
    Off craigslist? I was half tempted to pick those up, my current pair are pretty thrashed.

Let me know if you decide to cut them loose.

Off craigslist? I was half tempted to pick those up, my current pair are pretty thrashed.

Let me know if you decide to cut them loose.
    Back off, I want 'em too. But OP, I hope you do like them!

Yup, CL.

I was using search tempest to search CL across the US. Didn't find what I was looking for, and as a throw-away I tossed in a "Blizzard Bodacious" search. (I've been lusting after the Corbett's ones, and almost pulled the trigger a few weeks ago.) And bang, one pops up. Only half interested, figuring the dude will want $650 or something nuts for them, I look. Hmmm. That's not an awesome price, but not terrible either. Hmm...where are these...? Beaverton? Wha?!?

So a little back and forth, and I picked them up yesterday.

They're really in pretty awesome shape.
    Those Jesters *look* nice - but man I hate them in deep snow. But I'll hold on remounting with something else till I decide if I'm keeping them or not.
    (Hard to imagine not, but who knows. I'm in my early 50's now, so I probably ought to slow down sometime - I just wasn't planning on it quite yet.)

Hit GregL up. I think he's got a couple pairs he doesn't seem to use much!
    But yes - I have a friend that will probably want first right of refusal, but after that, I'll try to remember to offer them here next.

BUT I CALLED DIBS!!

Enjoy 'em. They're fun skis.

Follow-up.

Well, it's not often that I'd ski the Bodacious on opening day - but yesterday was pretty nuts all around on Hood. (Covid, lines, lot of fresh snow, WIND, lift stoppage galore, etc. - on that note, why the heck didn't they run Blue in the chaos, eh?)

I had them out the last half the day and they are definitely keepers.

Weather was pretty intense, but that produced really nice snow and fresh tracks over and over and over.
    So, while any ski would have skied well enough in the snow, I can tell I'll be keeping these long term. I won't like them in the huge bumps that form in the heather run-out, but I can probably mostly straight-line those on the side and, as GregL says, "trust that the hill will flatten out eventually."

They look sick in the charcoal/black top-sheet too.

If you'd like to ski them for a run or three at MHM sometime, hit me up. I'm totally glad I've sized up and I can't imagine I'll be parting ways with them anytime soon.
    [As my early season legs will tell you, though, they do work you over pretty good! Mmmm... Heavy, damp missile skis... ]

Asogear on eBay had a bunch (so they claim) of 186s for sale for like 425, just snagged a pair, although mine haven’t shipped yet so that’s a little concerning, but grab em!
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.