Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jmars View Post
    Day 2 on mine, got to SLC on Monday night for a last minute trip this week. Skied solitude yesterday and while it was great and the protest is floaty my hips are KILLING me right now. Im not sure if it’s bc I’m mounted on the line and maybe there is to much tail but I am getting worked compared to my concepts.
    192 flex 4.

Worked enough that im at the bird currently thinking of taking my concepts and not the protest but fuck that kinda sucks.

I question if should’ve just gone stock build
    Veneer? I've been thinking about whether I should have gone flex 4 vs flex 3 on my 192s.

No veneer...I’m thinking I should’ve went 3 but I’ll remount -1.5 and go from there. First time I’ve got my ass kicked like this in years by a ski

No veneer...I’m thinking I should’ve went 3 but I’ll remount -1.5 and go from there. First time I’ve got my ass kicked like this in years by a ski
    I picked up cascadelukes map 3veneer. I would not want more stiff I’m 190 with gear and -1.4 isotope reuse his holes
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    I picked up cascadelukes map 3veneer. I would not want more stiff I’m 190 with gear and -1.4 isotope reuse his holes
    So you're neutron deficient?

Had a MUCH a better day today on them. I still think it’s a bunch of ski but today I was more in tune with both myself and the ski.... I skied from open tram (fark it’s was cold waiting and I shouldn’t have) till 3:45pm and I didn’t want to sell them(unlike yesterday).

Tracked out late day bowls were tough and the beat up heavily used lower aspect terrain kicked me around a bit. These are the areas I want to pop over but I also want to drive a bit too in those conditions....something this ski it’s exactly built for....I know RX

Will probably have the Protest out again for at least the morning as more terrain opens.

Quote Originally Posted by Drazzamatazz View Post
    5 days on the Protest in Japan did not disappoint. Took me a day or so to get used to them (didn't help I also kept pre-releasing from my Shifts...decided DIN was too low for such a platform and had no issues after adjusting), and while they certainly worked my legs when getting back to the lifts on piste, there were plenty of WOW moments once things clicked.

That said, if and when I return next year I think I'll bring a companion ski. We were graced with mostly bluebird days, which was great, but also meant we had to work for the powder turns. By day 4 I was definitely feeling it. While I could always be in better shape, it probably would have been nice to have something a little less demanding on my tired legs. Learned pretty quickly Protests wanted to be up at speed, and by the end of the trip that was starting to feel a little sketchy. Damn though, when popping out of the trees and seeing a straight path back to the lift...felt real nice charging through everyone else's tracks.

Its hard to know for sure, and things would obviously be different if it was all tits deep powder runs right off the lift everyday, but I think I would have liked something smaller and more importantly lighter for 1 of the 5 days we were there.

This is exactly how I felt about the Protests and I ended up taking a day off because of it.

I’ve been thinking a ton about the 3 v 4 flex issue and I don’t think we are all off with the 4 flex, you just need to ski them hard. The 3 will float a bit better, be easier to bend into turns, but the 4 gives you a bit of a higher top end. I have noticed my 4 flex Protests being sluggish from edge to edge, and I think it’s due to the stiffness.

I’m also still on the stock tune too. It worked so I never messed with it. I’ve always detuned my previous Praxis skis and I want to give the Protests the same treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

In most cases it’s the mount position. Tiresome going slow and keeping the tips up in deep or heavy snow. -1.5 to -2 makes it able to push the ski around at any speed. Very relaxed. For me anyway

Day 2 on mine, got to SLC on Monday night for a last minute trip this week. Skied solitude yesterday and while it was great and the protest is floaty my hips are KILLING me right now. Im not sure if it’s bc I’m mounted on the line and maybe there is to much tail but I am getting worked compared to my concepts.
    192 flex 4.

Worked enough that im at the bird currently thinking of taking my concepts and not the protest but fuck that kinda sucks.

I question if should’ve just gone stock build
    Different Binding? Wrong binding delta for me toasts my quads.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    In most cases it’s the mount position. Tiresome going slow and keeping the tips up in deep or heavy snow. -1.5 to -2 makes it able to push the ski around at any speed. Very relaxed. For me anyway
    #metoo

or if on dynafits, only remount toe with a B&D shim (or DIY, whatever), instead of having to move the mount back.
    Aggressive in my own mind

I’m filling the holes today and going to mount them -1.5 or -2

After skiing pow this morning, our exit put us on top of a pretty steep (45-50*) and pretty firm and variable chute/boulderfield. Partner was on Zero G 108s. It actually seemed easier for me to hop-turn on the Protests. Bite was surprisingly good for skis that are 128 underfoot. Damn these things are suhweet!
    sproing!

I’m -2 on 192 ProTest flex 4 enduro and wouldn’t change a thing.
    5’10” 205 with gear.

skibrd - really curious to hear how the mount changes them for ya. Your setup is sooooooo dank. Gotta detune tips/tails too for that slidey-carvey P*test magic!

On the length/mount/stiffness, I'm 6', 190#, 187 flex 3 carbon MAP layup, mounted at -0.75 with Kingpins. 187 is amazing for touring. I love the mount. I love the flex. I love the ski. Have I mentioned that yet in this thread?? Haha.

Had them mounted for alpine (Sollyfits) on the rec line, and they skied great for me there too.

Without having skied a stiffer version - so take this with a mondo grain of salt - I think the shape might work against a stiff layup. Maybe it's the fat forebody that would be harder to bend. Maybe it's the slight bit of camber... I don't really know, but I would definitely understand a 4 or 5 flex Praxis RX or similarly-shaped chargey, flat tailed, big mountain ski. But with a stiff-flex Protest, it seems like you would be forced to drive something that wants to be surfed and yet can also be driven at the same time. I know that 4FRNT Rens ride pow amazing with a stiff lay-up, but those are full reverse camber. Perhaps someone with more ski shape knowledge can guess, but I encourage those of you who feel like the Protests are either a lot of work (/tires you out) or that it's hard to ski at low speeds to try a softer version. Happy to loan mine out for a spin if you're in Tahoe.

ETA: just saw CascadeLuke was on 192 flex 3, and now on 192 flex 4 -- whaddya think CL? Better in flex 3 or 4? Differences??
    sproing!

I'm on a flex 4.5 and would not consider softening at 220lb nekkid. When a shape is as dialled as this, why would i want it to flex deeply when pushed or at speed? I want it to retain its shape and be predictable. Deep flex was my most hated pontoon characteristic.

At my weight I have no issue with low speed performance although low speed float would surely improve. That's low on my priority list though. I like to ski in the fall line while throwing surfy speed checks and direction changes when needed, be it trees or open terrain.

I have mine mounted with tectons and ski them with that hawx xtd 130. Those calling them lots of work should perhaps rethink the aversion for the UL core as I think it suits the conditions these skis thrive in which is to say fresh snow of any kind. mounted on the line and would not move back although I've got the more upright lean lock on order.

All this aches and pains business sounds so foreign to me.

187 on the dimple. Skied in everything from blower January powder in Japan, to 2" of something 3D'ish in NZ. Long days, big vert, as fast as my legs will carry. Tech bindings or Solly Drivers. Maestrales or Tecnica Cochise. Never been sore or felt funny or unbalanced, never had tip dive. Most incredibly intuitive ski for me.

This was all said as a tribute to the Protests, not to my ability.

The shape of the ProTest absolutely lends itself to a stiffer build. The ski doesn’t need to depend on tip flex to plane up. All of this confirmed with Keith.

it's fairly self evident if you just fondle a pair even. It's why i find soft heavily rockered skis so perplexing. the notion of soft powder skis predates rocker. the idea was that flex made the ski take a shape that allowed it to come up to the surface. the concept falls apart if the skis are already shaped to plane up.

I filled the holes on my Protests today, epoxy and wood, no plastic plugs for me, I hope.

Pivots are going on at -1, where the Shifts were. I like how the tails sink in and don’t want to be further back.

My issue with skis currently is lack of leg strength, and a weak core. I can fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    it's fairly self evident if you just fondle a pair even. It's why i find soft heavily rockered skis so perplexing. the notion of soft powder skis predates rocker. the idea was that flex made the ski take a shape that allowed it to come up to the surface. the concept falls apart if the skis are already shaped to plane up.
    Word. Just threw in the Keith thing since some don’t want to believe some internet dude.

truth.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    Finish the thought? What about the protest is made to plane?

Checking back in here...I’m going to mount 1.5 back. I’m 175lbs nude but I enjoy stiffer skis...love my Concept 187cm (4), PJ is a 4 (184cm) and my SnD is 5 (185cm). As for binding I run the warden on everything pretty much(not on the SnD). Another “stiff” ski I am on is a Salomon QLab 190, the tail is beast if that ski and it’s on me of my favorites (STH2 16 on the lab).

I have to assume this is all me and just my pure lack of time on the ski, I noted day 2 was great so I’m defaulting to the me here.

That sluggish feeling skibrd mentioned rang true with me but on the flip side the ski is beyond fast...just gets up and goes.

Maybe this is the first time that mounting a ski on the line isn’t for me. Soon to find out but seems to be the right path.

Checking back in here...I’m going to mount 1.5 back. I’m 175lbs nude but I enjoy stiffer skis...love my Concept 187cm (4), PJ is a 4 (184cm) and my SnD is 5 (185cm). As for binding I run the warden on everything pretty much(not on the SnD). Another “stiff” ski I am on is a Salomon QLab 190, the tail is beast if that ski and it’s on me of my favorites (STH2 16 on the lab).

I have to assume this is all me and just my pure lack of time on the ski, I noted day 2 was great so I’m defaulting to the me here.

That sluggish feeling skibrd mentioned rang true with me but on the flip side the ski is beyond fast...just gets up and goes.

Maybe this is the first time that mounting a ski on the line isn’t for me. Soon to find out but seems to be the right path.
    Props for the continued optimism. My patience for non intuitive skis is vanishing as I age. Hope they click for you. If not,

ON3P C&D

I’m slowly evolving into flowing alpy.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

I think we all evolve that way...older I get the less time I have and the less skis I really need...

If day 2 for me wasn’t so much better then I’d be negative but I have to blame user too bc for me it’s a very untraditional design that needs the tool needs to be learn (to a point) before making a full decision. I’ve been in a lot of snow this week and it’s not like I wasn’t having fun....just getting mental and that can be a rabbit hole.

More to come but I haven’t disliked anything from Keith yet.