Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I used to think sub-1400 grams was too light for everyday use, but after 25 days in the Hawx Ultra XTD with no powerstrap @ 1350 grams I'm re-thinking it . . .
    I only have three days on mine, but I agree. I'm personally going to keep my race boots around, but I definitely think a boot like the Ultra XTD could be an only boot for many, many people. It's shockingly capable.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    With the move towards GripWalk for both boots and bindings for most manufacturers...
    Uuuuggggh. I was not aware that GripWalk was being adopted as the new normal. New "standards." Great.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Uuuuggggh. I was not aware that GripWalk was being adopted as the new normal. New "standards." Great.
    Better than having WTR and GripWalk. We at least now have just one. So it is the new standard, instead of standards. And a better sole for most skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Anyone get a chance to check out these Oakley goggles that have light / medium / dark lens adjustments with the push of a button? I figured this would happen eventually... if it works well that's pretty cool.

https://www.powder.com/gear-locker/oakley-lens/
    I am liking the sound of these... all ready have 3 pairs of goggles with 6 Prizm lenses... 1 more might be stretching it unless they are that good...

Falllines are my favourites now but these are the bigger version...

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Better than having WTR and GripWalk. We at least now have just one. So it is the new standard, instead of standards. And a better sole for most skiers.
    For sure, standard is better than standards. I'm just salty because the next pair of boots I buy may or may not fit into my pile of Salomon 9-series bindings and definitely won't be recommended. Skiing on 20+ year old bindings is also not recommended either so my complaints are not especially valid.

New ZeroG boot is not gripwalk. Normal rockered AT sole.

Would love to know what other boots are in the 1300g category to make it crowded????

Maestrale, Mtn Explore, Hawx XTD are all around 1420-1450
    Scarpa F1 is 1280

Spectre 2.0 is 1445 but in a 27.5.

Top ZeroG is definitely stiffer than all those, maybe minus the Atomic but again I'm not sure. It was designed
    to have another metal connection point further up the rear of the boot to give it better progression of flex and
    stiffen it up more than the other boots that have a similar walk mode.

Anyone get a chance to check out these Oakley goggles that have light / medium / dark lens adjustments with the push of a button? I figured this would happen eventually... if it works well that's pretty cool.

cool concept.
    (2:30 to skip to the demo)

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    cool concept.
    (2:30 to skip to the demo)
    That's just great... I was a big Smith I/OX fan and got hooked up with Oakley Flight deck with Prizm lenses and was a huge fan the first time I wore them... I now have 3 of the Prizm lenses (small fortune for just the lenses) and now this... If it works this could def cause me to invest... Pretty bad ass for sure, but no doubt will be spendy...

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by couchsending View Post
    New ZeroG boot is not gripwalk. Normal rockered AT sole.

Would love to know what other boots are in the 1300g category to make it crowded????
    OK, so my 1300g category comment was off.

My point is that the prior ZG was an incredibly capable and versatile boot, and IMO there wasn't anything out there that could compete directly. Hawx is similarly impressive from what I hear, but gripwalk sole makes it less versatile IMO.

With a rockered sole the new ZG is firmly in the "touring" boot category. I know it's a brave new world with Tecton and Shift, but unless my killer Instastorys start garnering some sponsorship I'll be skiing alpine bindings at the resort for a long time. Plenty of great options in the "touring" space, hence "crowded".

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    For sure, standard is better than standards. I'm just salty because the next pair of boots I buy may or may not fit into my pile of Salomon 9-series bindings and definitely won't be recommended. Skiing on 20+ year old bindings is also not recommended either so my complaints are not especially valid.
    Gripwalk fits into STH/9 series with a slight toe adjustment. Whether they release to your standards is another question.

Regarding the new Zero G... I haven't skied them, but carpet testing the current/old Zero G my issues with it were it had way too much volume in the ankle and heel for me, and the rearward touring range of motion seemed very limited. I wonder if those things will be the same

The zero g line was barely lighter than the cochise line. It makes sense for Tecnica to provide more distinction between them.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

The zero g line was barely lighter than the cochise line.
    Zero G Guide Pro 26.5 = 1508 grams, Cochise 130 26.5 = 1982 grams. To my way of thinking, 474 grams is substantial.

gregl and mbillie1 beat me to it. That ZeroG Guide was pretty light. This new one is whoa helium. Start clipping off fourth buckles and trimming powerstraps and getting all skimo on it and you could drop into the mid 1200s pretty easy. Not too shabby at all

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    That's just great... I was a big Smith I/OX fan and got hooked up with Oakley Flight deck with Prizm lenses and was a huge fan the first time I wore them... I now have 3 of the Prizm lenses (small fortune for just the lenses) and now this... If it works this could def cause me to invest... Pretty bad ass for sure, but no doubt will be spendy...
    But the VLT's are pretty ugly to my way of thinking.
    My 50 year old eyes won't like the 10%/15%/35% VLT's [Dark/mid/light]
    10% is something I'd hardly ever use. 15% isn't bad for a bright, bright day, IMO.
    But overcast days, flat-light days? 80-100% is more like it, IMO.

I'd guess it's simply not possible to get that kind of adjust with the tech, but given that - this Goggle is dead to me. [Well that, and it's about a bazillion bucks, I'm sure - so there's that too... ]

damn those would be great if they did work!

Zero G Guide Pro 26.5 = 1508 grams, Cochise 130 26.5 = 1982 grams. To my way of thinking, 474 grams is substantial.
    Yeah but the Cochise 120's - which are probably a better comparison - are like 1800 - 1850 I think. So... yeah, still lighter but this change makes them more distinctively lighter. I don't know, just saying.

For what it’s worth, their Prizm HI Pink is rated at 35-45% VLT and I find it comparable to their HI Yellow lenses which were rated at ~80%. Might be worth checking out in person.

I think I heard the guy in the video say $299.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    damn those would be great if they did work!
    Sure enough, but what is the tech? Is it entirely dependent on having a battery with a charge? If so not interested (just like I fkg don't want my kitchen faucet or stove dependent on a good internet connection - adding a point of failure for added functionality of questionable value is utterly stupid, though it seems to be a trend these days).

If it's like e-ink (like an OG kindle), where it only takes electricity to change the display, and is then stable w/ or w/o electricity, it would be ok. But if it's like Turbofan's, where if you let the battery drain (easy to do: forget to turn them off at the end of the day) they are worse than the worst non-fan goggle, I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGortex View Post
    For what it’s worth, their Prizm HI Pink is rated at 35-45% VLT and I find it comparable to their HI Yellow lenses which were rated at ~80%. Might be worth checking out in person.

I think I heard the guy in the video say $299.
    I've currently got lenses that are like: ~18%, 65% and 80% VLT.
    I could use the 65% pretty much all the time. I might squint a bit on really bright days, but they'd be OK.
    The 18% are nice on full blue-bird days, but poor anywhere else.
    The 80% are good in a remarkable variety of conditions - and if it's cloudy at all, they're what I wear.
    I'd frankly love to have a totally clear pair [100% VLT], and say 40% VLT for anything from modestly bright to full sun. I'd guess that would serve me for virtually everything. You can always squint, to block some light. It's kinda hard to add back in what your lenses block though.

Thus, these new-fangledly auto-switcharoo goggles just don't seem like my kinda gig, I guess.
    $299?! Someone get a rope!

I don’t understand light/optics well enough to know why, I just mean they don’t “feel” like their stated 35-45% VLT. I happily use them in the same conditions I’d normally use my 80% HI Yellow lenses.

I’m also picky about lenses and have a ton of them. I like the Prizm stuff and find them to be very versatile. More so than most of my other lenses.

Yeah but the Cochise 120's - which are probably a better comparison - are like 1800 - 1850 I think. So... yeah, still lighter but this change makes them more distinctively lighter. I don't know, just saying.
    The Cochise 120 I weighed last season was 1862 in a 26.5, and you're probably right in terms of how they ski.

I think Tecnica is changing focus and shooting for the touring crowd that went with the Hawx Ultra XTD this season. They needed to break the 1400 gram barrier to make that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Sure enough, but what is the tech? Is it entirely dependent on having a battery with a charge? If so not interested (just like I fkg don't want my kitchen faucet or stove dependent on a good internet connection - adding a point of failure for added functionality of questionable value is utterly stupid, though it seems to be a trend these days).

If it's like e-ink (like an OG kindle), where it only takes electricity to change the display, and is then stable w/ or w/o electricity, it would be ok. But if it's like Turbofan's, where if you let the battery drain (easy to do: forget to turn them off at the end of the day) they are worse than the worst non-fan goggle, I'm out.
    Did you even pay attention to the video?
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by PhiberAwptik View Post
    Did you even pay attention to the video?
    What?!? Of course I did! Ok...with the sound off and a good bit of fast-forwarding, haha! Oops I'm an idiot.

Actually sounds very cool, *if* light/dark is all there is to it (or maybe all the many different tints/coatings out there these days are just marketing fluff/fashion).

The guy sounded downright embarrassed when he had to state the suggested MSRP though. And I'd feel the same paying that much. Wonder how much a new lens is vs. the entire goggle. I can get a new goggle w/ lens for $10 more than just the lens for my current spex. So now I have 4 pairs - annoying but I'm set for a while at least.

The Cochise 120 I weighed last season was 1862 in a 26.5, and you're probably right in terms of how they ski.

I think Tecnica is changing focus and shooting for the touring crowd that went with the Hawx Ultra XTD this season. They needed to break the 1400 gram barrier to make that happen.
    With a heavy liner, throw a protour in there and you're sub 1700 grams... starting to get close on weight and the 120 with protours skis noticeably better than the old guide. Bonus - you have inbounds liners.

eiher way I am eager to get the new guide
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025