Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Nobody in business gives shit away. If they did, they wouldnt be in business. That's a charity.
    Uber gives free trips to the morgue. *limited locations only, coming soon to your town.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Waymo, formerly the self-driving car project of Google, said that in tests on roads in California last year, its cars went an average of nearly 5,600 miles before the driver had to take control from the computer to steer out of trouble. As of March, Uber was struggling to meet its target of 13 miles per “intervention” in Arizona,

Ouch

Waymo/Google has been on the road for about a decade now; pretty much everyone who lives or works in the south SF peninsula has seen their Lexuses with the wind-up thing on the roof driving around at various points (I just read that they've switched to minivans). Their cars have a rep for being noticeably conservative and cautious, and they have an outstanding safety record, in an area with a high density of cars, peds, and bikes. Uber's running a very different kind of operation.

https://nyti.ms/2pGGMmS

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums mobile app

"Mr. Khosrowshahi even insists that Uber...could start using flying taxis in five to 10 years"

Hah! Wow. How high is this guy?

At some point they need to share the best of this technology for safety concerns. It's good to have competition to explore different approaches but in the end what best should be mandated for all to use.
    Sure the best wins the financial gains and that the way it should be.
    Uber should shut up for now because they fucked up imo

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    "Mr. Khosrowshahi even insists that Uber...could start using flying taxis in five to 10 years"

Or, maybe a better question is, how rich is this guy?
    As long as he and the shareholders are rewarded with dynasty money by unicorn chasing VCs, he'll keep on saying stupid shit. Works for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

Or, maybe a better question is, how rich is this guy?
    As long as he and the shareholders are rewarded with dynasty money by unicorn chasing VCs, he'll keep on saying stupid shit. Works for him.
    Sure he's trying to get people to look forward rather than think about the total shit-show Uber is in.
    Stupid words will work on stupid people.

So Arizona's governor, "disturbed" by the video, has ordered Uber's self-driving cars off its roads. Which begs the question: How does that even work in a state where automated cars aren't regulated? Businesses are free from the burden of government regulation, except that the governor can go around issuing orders?!? Great ideology you've got going there, guys. If Bluto Kalanick was still in charge of that company, they'd be suing Arizona right now.

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    So Arizona's governor, "disturbed" by the video, has ordered Uber's self-driving cars off its roads. Which begs the question: How does that even work in a state where automated cars aren't regulated? Businesses are free from the burden of government regulation, except that the governor can go around issuing orders?!? Great ideology you've got going there, guys. If Bluto Kalanick was still in charge of that company, they'd be suing Arizona right now.
    Gov of AZ has been pretty cozy with Uber... maybe too cozy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Gov of AZ has been pretty cozy with Uber... maybe too cozy.
    In other news, Doug Ducey was struck and killed by a self-driving Uber car Wednesday afternoon.

Where's the outcry to repeal Newton's law of inertia? Same dumbass thinking that boarders who fly out of the woods have when they're hit by someone skiing the trail they didn't look up.

Thin the herd. There's too much weakness.

There has to be a money trail in Arizona. Has to be.

Oh, wait, that's way below the standards of the typical TGR poster. Riding the bus. Ewwww. Other people. They smell.
    oh man...if you only knew. lulz

Knew what?

Why the fuck is everybody so obtuse around here? Are you all girls?

Knew what?

They prefer to be called man childs.

Knew what?

And stay off his lawn.

Knew what?

OK, let me say in general I don’t mind riding buses. I rode shuttle buses in college for several years with no problems, but I suppose you could say I was probably the dirty old man then bumping into the coeds.

I’ve ridden buses on trips to several cities without problems - Chicago, SF, Seattle, San Diego, Munich to name just a few. The buses in Telluride and Aspen are also pretty nice.

But, I wouldn’t recommend the bus on South Lamar in Austin. I rode that bus maybe 10 times to commute back and forth to ACL, and 8 times were fine. The other two, though...

One time a guy gets on the bus and sits near me. I’m facing forward and he’s on one of those sideways seats next to me, so I’m looking right at him. All he has on is a blue hospital gown, very loosely tied, so his junk is peeking out. It’s like he just got up and walked out of a hospital or doctors office while being treated without changing back into street clothes. He looked like he was in a daze, and he smelled like he just took a crap in his gown.

Another time, an old man who looked drunk started to make eyes at me. Then he came over and sat next to me and started rubbing his leg on mine. I quickly changed seats. Not sure how he got the impression that I’d be open to his advances, but maybe he was hitting on anything that moved.

Also one time I had barely missed the bus I intended to catch, and had to wait about 45 minutes for the next one to come along. So I’m sitting there at a pretty deserted bus stop biding my time when this bum comes over and starts chatting me up, on random subjects, and I’m sitting there with a pretty expensive camera around my neck wondering what happens next. Finally he asks if I could give him some money to buy a beer. I give him a buck and he disappears, thankfully.

Dude, you gotta cultivate the NY stone cold face.

Yeah, probably right. I’ve had some interesting experiences on the subways in NY, too.

Knew what?

not everyone here is above the bus.
    there are a few bus drivers here.

I've been riding the bus since I was a little kid....it's a funky adventure.

I love riding the bus
    and I am a girl too
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    I love riding the bus
    and I am a girl too
    When I was a teenager I used to ride the bus to learn the City. At 16 I get a car and it put an end to that.

We have a pretty good system but now it's getting too crowded for the odd times I go downtown to avoid a DUI

Will fully autonomous cars allow for higher levels of blood alcohol or THC ? I wonder

Apparently Uber disabled the factory installed emergency braking system in the Volvo because they thought it was engaging too often. They depended on the backup driver to hit the brakes in an emergency. So they had a self driving car but not a self stopping car. Makes sense.
    http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Oli...0C08&mode=text
    Uber still plans to keep testing the cars, just not in Arizona.

i think it high lights that self driving cars are further in the future than is portrayed in the media. Their performance in rain and snow is really bad