Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Backcountry Intro lessons for JONGs

I remember one of the first things I posted here was about Efficient Skinning. I got called out by xTreme Colorado gnarcore who no doubt skin all of 1,000 ft and call it a day

It introduced me to the concept that TGR was full of "hard core" skiers that really didn't know what the fuck they were doing.

Since then I've come around to the fact that the world is full of "hard core" skiers that really didn't know what the fuck they were doing but now want to go the backcountry so that they can do whatever they they think they can do.

I shadowed a new product developed by Extremely Canadian/Whistler Blackcomb that is basically an Introduction to the Backcountry class. I thought it would be very successful and it is. There's a huge demand for it. Apparently there is self-realization even among the sickening amount of Whistler wannabe bro-brah angst.

Essentially its a one-day Learn how to travel in the backcountry class. It's defining aspect is that the quality of instruction is very very high. The head of the program is the President of the ACMG - Keith Reid.

This was written a month ago but the TGR webguy was busy screwing the pooch so apology for its lateness.

Read it here - http://www.tetongravity.com/reviews/...Review-333.htm

and maybe you'll see why this skintrack (courtesy of Pow11)

or other cool tricks like wearing your shovel outside your backpack is a stupid idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	599995_4971359880119_687688219_n.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	133938  

Good stuff Lee
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post

or other cool tricks like wearing your shovel outside your backpack is a stupid idea.
    But how's everybody supposed to know that Im an extremegnar backcountry skier if they cant see my shovel and handle?
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

To make this not so region specific maybe throw in some places where you can also get not just avalanche awareness classes but also How to Travel in the Backcountry you idiot type lessons

I've been following the descriptions by Hakuba Mountain Life in Hakuba Japan and it looks great. He posts here

Other places to get formal or informal instruction at least in Western Canada

You can join clubs but the quality of people is exceedingly random.

Feel free to chime in some more ideas from other regions

Quote Originally Posted by _Aaron_ View Post
    Good stuff Lee

But how's everybody supposed to know that Im an extremegnar backcountry skier if they cant see my shovel and handle?
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness

I might have to add that to my signature.

For the Teton Region JHMG offers a 2 day intro to ski touring clinic. Im sure Exum offers the something in the same vein but Im not aware of it.

www.jhmg.com
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    More stoke, less shit.

Saw that today and just shook our heads. There were a couple of people who followed up that track throughout the afternoon....
    Yikes...

And good article! We enjoyed that as well and took quite a bit away from that day. Have since played around a bit more in the area and explored a couple of the other area (Whistler) Garibaldi has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by _Aaron_ View Post
    I might have to add that to my signature.

www.jhmg.com
    Agreed! I call second dibs if you don't end up using it...
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

another Western Canada outfit with some great programs
    http://www.islandalpineguides.com/
    You dont stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing

and then show up to McDonalds like this in Pemberton at 8am, with your ski boots and headlamp on as well, to meet a bunch of people you don't know to go heli drop Mt. Currie. That actually happened. You know who I'm talking about!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

I went up to Rogers past in mid-Feb and my buddy and I had a guided tour with Marty Schaffer. He is a really outgoing, fun, and above all, knowledgeable. Check him out at www.capow.ca/

Gaining knowledge was a high priority for our group and he was more than happy to teach us throughout the day. Learned a lot of new things. The avy conditions were touchy, but it was a good way for my buddy and I to gain experience in that environment.

For New England, I came across EMS's offerings when signing up for an AIARE course: http://www.emsexploration.com/ski/backcountry/

Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    For New England, I came across EMS's offerings when signing up for an AIARE course: http://www.emsexploration.com/ski/backcountry/
    Screw ems. See ime or rhino guides - Jim Shimberg is a great guy and will provide a fun day. Mark Synott is a a helluva nice guy too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

The who's who of posers and fakers
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

whatch you talkin bout dd?

digitaldeath......your so hardcore arent you ....go pound sand douochbag....

THANKS LEELAU FOR THE POST
    always forward but never straight

I'm still laughing from Lee's preamble. Brilliant writing.

I put my shovel down my pants. Kinda like a cup. Is that not how you're supposed to do it? Shit, I better take this class. I just might learn something.

Seriously though, thanks for posting the link.
    Last edited by Toadman; 03-04-2013 at 02:34 PM.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by lynchdogger View Post
    Screw ems. See ime or rhino guides - Jim Shimberg is a great guy and will provide a fun day. Mark Synott is a a helluva nice guy too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    Haha, fair enough! I figured they have something, I think Chauvin has something as well. I just saw they had them when I was trying to find an avy course offered on dates that worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by chadeau View Post
    I went up to Rogers past in mid-Feb and my buddy and I had a guided tour with Marty Schaffer. He is a really outgoing, fun, and above all, knowledgeable. Check him out at www.capow.ca/

Gaining knowledge was a high priority for our group and he was more than happy to teach us throughout the day. Learned a lot of new things. The avy conditions were touchy, but it was a good way for my buddy and I to gain experience in that environment.
    Marty & others ran a 3 day Freeski camp in Rogers Pass in December, & I think he was doing another at Blanket Glacier sometime. It was awesome - highly recommended.

A bunch of mags went along, there's stuff about it buried somewhere in the Canadian Rockies thread. Also this link:

http://skisandmountains.com/rogers-freeski/

wait so your saying having your shovel handle securely in your ice tool holder is a bad idea?
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    wait so your saying having your shovel handle securely in your ice tool holder is a bad idea?
    It's less than optimal...
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Huh, I guess I need a new backpack, oh well time to shop
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

For the college whipper-snappers in CO there is a program with CUFST that fits the bill.

Make contact and you can probably get in on some stuff even if you're not a student (I have that on good authority from someone who works there, haha).
    When in doubt...straighten 'em out.

joelbettner.blogspot.com

"I do look like the Arrow shirt man, I did lace up my skates professionally, and I did do a fabulous job finishing my muffin."

Quote Originally Posted by chadeau View Post
    ...Learned a lot of new things. The avy conditions were touchy, but it was a good way for my buddy and I to gain experience in that environment.
    I almost feel gypped. My lvl 1 class happened after several weeks of temperature inversion under a huge dome of high pressure that occured right after a major rain event. While there were layers to be seen, the pack was basically 2 feet of solid crust with various rain crusts and sugar snow crusts under that. I should probably re-take that class and hope for more interesting/educational snow conditions.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.