Page 14 of 197 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    I can't help thinking of the parallels in the snow. I still find myself reminiscing about the good old days before snowboards and fat skis. It took fitness and skill to ski powder so there was plenty to ski in the resorts on a powder day. The few of us skiing our 207cm GS skis on epic days felt steezy. The rest stayed on the groomed or in the lodge.

Then the boarders started tearing up all of our favorite runs on powder days. It didn't help that a lot of them were really douchey. Then, fat-rockered skis came and it was over. Gapers of all sorts could "ski powder" or at least they could get down and track it all out. I remember standing in a lift line one storm day looking at the kids with clown shoes on and telling my ski buddy to punch me in face if he ever saw me on fat, rockered, skis. Fortunately, he doesn't remember the conversation.

Fast forward and it is what it is. I suck at mountain biking and have'nt tried an ebike but I'm getting old and, if they allowed them on the single track where I live, I might give it a go. It sucks for the young/fit/skilled riders but maybe someday the close-in trails will feel like skiing at a crowded resort full of tourists on a powder day and it will take some effort to get to more remote places that remind us of the good old days. Other places will be more like Alta or Deer Valley and outlaw the new technology.

I got passed in the bike lane by an electric assist for the millionth time and i think i need one now. i stopped the guy after and it looked just like a regular road bike, he said he gets about four days to a charge, it flies, and costs a grand.

M series!
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Not very many "more remote places" mountain bikes are allowed and ebike douchies could use their batteries to get there.

Ebikes are like if they made skins with mini snowmobile tracks that moved you up the mountain in the backcountry so you didn't have to work... I mean, you still have to stand so it's kinda like work.

And these mini snowmobiles for your feet are great because you want to ski the backcountry pow, too but you don't have time to get into good enough shape. You live in Texas, right? You only get a week long ski vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    I got passed in the bike lane by an electric assist for the millionth time and i think i need one now. i stopped the guy after and it looked just like a regular road bike, he said he gets about four days to a charge, it flies, and costs a grand.!
    this thread is about e-bikes on mtn bike trails and the argument is if they belong or not?

Commuting would be a great app, that pict looks like a shitty trail bike
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by stearnsn View Post
    I can't help thinking of the parallels in the snow. I still find myself reminiscing about the good old days before snowboards and fat skis. It took fitness and skill to ski powder so there was plenty to ski in the resorts on a powder day. The few of us skiing our 207cm GS skis on epic days felt steezy. The rest stayed on the groomed or in the lodge.

Then the boarders started tearing up all of our favorite runs on powder days. It didn't help that a lot of them were really douchey. Then, fat-rockered skis came and it was over. Gapers of all sorts could "ski powder" or at least they could get down and track it all out. I remember standing in a lift line one storm day looking at the kids with clown shoes on and telling my ski buddy to punch me in face if he ever saw me on fat, rockered, skis. Fortunately, he doesn't remember the conversation.

Fast forward and it is what it is. I suck at mountain biking and have'nt tried an ebike but I'm getting old and, if they allowed them on the single track where I live, I might give it a go. It sucks for the young/fit/skilled riders but maybe someday the close-in trails will feel like skiing at a crowded resort full of tourists on a powder day and it will take some effort to get to more remote places that remind us of the good old days. Other places will be more like Alta or Deer Valley and outlaw the new technology.
    It’s funny to me that you bring up snowboarding in this context. Do you know who the early snowboarders were? The best skiers on the mountain. That’s who. The youngest most aggressive most athletic skiers saw it and said that looks like fun. Before long they were schooling the skiers in powder. The weak ass skiers were completely threatened by this so they hated on the boarders and wanted to ban them. Shawn Palmer was a ripping skier as a kid. In my snowboard posse in Telluride in the late 80’s we were all better skiers than the skiers hating on us. A couple of them had won race events skiing in the jr olympics just a few years prior.
    Same fucking thing with ebike weak fucking pussies threatened. Let’s ban it let’s pass laws.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    this thread is about e-bikes on mtn bike trails and the argument is if they belong or not?
    Actually, the thread is supposed to be about what e-bikes are out there, what peoples experiences are on the e-bikes, and any other info regarding e-bike tech.

The thread was taken over by the "should e-bikes be allowed" argument.

Quote Originally Posted by El Kanone View Post
    It’s funny to me that you bring up snowboarding in this context. Do you know who the early snowboarders were? The best skiers on the mountain. That’s who. The youngest most aggressive most athletic skiers saw it and said that looks like fun. Before long they were schooling the skiers in powder. The weak ass skiers were completely threatened by this so they hated on the boarders and wanted to ban them. Shawn Palmer was a ripping skier as a kid. In my snowboard posse in Telluride in the late 80’s we were all better skiers than the skiers hating on us. A couple of them had won race events skiing in the jr olympics just a few years prior.
    Same fucking thing with ebike weak fucking pussies threatened. Let’s ban it let’s pass laws.

Pretty much bingo. The only real argument against e-bikes is that it could affect access for ALL mountain bikes. All the other arguments are basically the above.

i don't get yer analogy, so are you saying the e-bikers are all better snow boarders or better skiers ... or they got stronger dope

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Actually, the thread is supposed to be about what e-bikes are out there, what peoples experiences are on the e-bikes, and any other info regarding e-bike tech.

Pretty much. Try giving any input about how ebikes function and it gets taken over by the same old arguments

Pretty much bingo. The only real argument against e-bikes is that it could affect access for ALL mountain bikes. All the other arguments are basically the above.
    Sorry this is stalkerish. I don't want ebikes as I see it threatening trail access in BC. But then I see mtngirl and DaveVt type rhetoric and that dominates the conversation. It sounds elitist because it is

thread title is "electric bike" but then in the openning post it was really about e-mtn bikes

IMO there isn't much point in buying an E-mtn bike if its illegal to ride it anywhere that you want to ride it and so the land use thing will become part of the whole e-mountainbike discussion especialy if you come on a mtn bike forum to ask about e- mtnbikes

they don't have these kinds of land use questions on motocross forums or snowmoblie forums, its all braap all the time cuz they are separate from other BC users, they got their own lobby groups and everything.

whereas e-mtn bike mfgers are quietly selling lots of e-mtn bikes riding on the coat tails of the mtn bikers/lobbyists who did all the work, maybe the mfgers need to get out and lobby, tell the power that be ... a motor is not really a motor

they don't have these kinds of land use questions on motocross forums or snowmoblie forums,

BWAAHHAHAAAAAA!!!!!

Oh man. That's a good one.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by El Kanone View Post

Here's the deal, if you want to go motorized, even electric, own it and get a motorbike and ride them where they're allowed. Don't pretend to be a mountain biker while riding an ebike and pretending to be a mountain biker. I have no problem with motorized use where appropriate, ebikes are appropriate for seniors and the handicapped on bike lanes and paths. Anything else is, well, gay.

Making concessions to an ever expanding list of special interest user groups is lame. It's a slippery slope to ruining access for everyone if we start making exceptions to the rules when it comes to motorized use. It has nothing to do with who is radder and more skilled and sour grapes. The interest of the majority is what matters. I know that may not sit well with all the 'freedom lovers' but fuck them.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    BWAAHHAHAAAAAA!!!!!

Oh man. That's a good one.
    no its Braaap !

ok but it would be a seperate thread because its a well established "us and them" thing intsead of claiming a motor is not a motor

Why does everyone seem to think that mtn ebikers are not mtn bikers now and in the past? I don't personally know anyone with one, but online you see mtn bikers riding ebikes. So the whole "we've been advocating for trails...blah blah blah" argument. How do you know these same people are not ebikers or soon to be ebikers?

I could give a shit if someone rides one or not. I'm not going to until I cannot ride my regular mtn bike anymore, then maybe I'll give it a shot...on all the trails I've built and mantained over the years...on my own time...not getting paid by some group.

And yeah, fuck all those douche skiers hating on snowboarders back in the day. That always pissed me off as primarily a skier. TGR crew before tgr was always about sliding down the hill no matter the device you rode. The way it should be and the way they still are today.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Why does everyone seem to think that mtn ebikers are not mtn bikers now and in the past? I don't personally know anyone with one, but online you see mtn bikers riding ebikes.
    Many ebikers i know are/were mtnbikers are. So?

So the whole "we've been advocating for trails...blah blah blah" argument. How do you know these same people are not ebikers or soon to be ebikers?
    I don't understand. RIde what you want. But if ebikers want sanctioned trails for ebikes - then advocate for them as ebikers. Take care of yourselves

I could give a shit if someone rides one or not. I'm not going to until I cannot ride my regular mtn bike anymore, then maybe I'll give it a shot...on all the trails I've built and mantained over the years...on my own time...not getting paid by some group.
    Builders right. If you want ebikes or MotoX or trials or trailrunners on your trails IMO that's your right. If its a sanctioned trail then you;ve got to deal with a land manager and all the PITA that entails. If your trails are unsanctioned then even better - do what you want

C'mon Lee. Nobody is interested in reason. This thread is about gut feelings and logical fallacies!
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Not very many "more remote places" mountain bikes are allowed and ebike douchies could use their batteries to get there.

Ebikes are like if they made skins with mini snowmobile tracks that moved you up the mountain in the backcountry so you didn't have to work... I mean, you still have to stand so it's kinda like work.

And these mini snowmobiles for your feet are great because you want to ski the backcountry pow, too but you don't have time to get into good enough shape. You live in Texas, right? You only get a week long ski vacation.
    I just got a pair of eSkis!

They are absolutely no different than regular touring skis because you still have to stand there on your skis!

You still have to do all the work, because the motor only works if you're standing there on your skis!

the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    C'mon Lee. Nobody is interested in reason. This thread is about gut feelings and logical fallacies!
    True. I do enjoy trolling. Especially rewarding is pointing out that social media/forum or internet blather about " gut feelings and logical fallacies" doesn't matter; and that its the land managers are what's important. And that the only thing that will change land managers minds is endless meetings, public workshops and lots of hard work. Specialized's response to that was = well we sponsored a study saying that ebikes are good and you (the volunteer advocacy group) can go to your land managers in North Van, Whistler, Squamish and Pemberton and argue for ebikes on trails OK?

This nobody is soft. No enthusiasm for the sport. Probably never been on a real mountain bike or pedalled up a hill. Bike looks totally clumsy. Bet he wishes he had a throttle. I suspect there is a throttle there somewhere. Team jerry . Doood is sooo ghey NTTIAWWT

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    This nobody is soft. No enthusiasm for the sport. Probably never been on a real mountain bike or pedalled up a hill. Bike looks totally clumsy. Bet he wishes he had a throttle. I suspect there is a throttle there somewhere. Team jerry . Doood is sooo ghey NTTIAWWT

Haha. People doing a paid job is supposed to prove what exactly?

And yes those bikes look totally clumsy.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

no its Braaap !
    We need to hang out

I think his point was that decent riders are using these, having fun, getting creative with their riding and getting a good workout in. You know - mountain biking. There's a reason sales are taking off and it's not because people don't want to exercise when they bike.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Haha. People doing a paid job is supposed to prove what exactly?

And yes those bikes look totally clumsy.
    Trying to fit everyone in for the max troll. Thanks for playing. He wouldn’t be doing that without the chedda. I suspect he was tortured.

Can’t even watch this. Paid actor and not very playful. Someone wrote his lines for him for sure. Dude is washed. Total hack

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Many ebikers i know are/were mtnbikers are. So?

Have you been following this thread? One of the key whines is how mtn bikers have advocated for their trails. Yeah, the same fucking guys riding ebikes now. Keep up canuck.