Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    There's a town in NJ across the river from NYC where a lot of Asians live. It's known as Ft. Ree.
    Dat funhee., ahoy hoy hoy hoy hoy....
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Tee hee hee
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    Clearly a CIA hit job.
    No, he could have been friends with Bill and Hillary.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Im not usually the snowflake type, or maybe im missing something, but damn there is a lot of racist shit being said about a dude who likely died cold, alone, and terrified while on what was probably supposed to be the ski trip of a lifetime (wasnt reported missing for so long b/c he was headed to whistler for a week afterwards).

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Im not usually the snowflake type, or maybe im missing something, but damn there is a lot of racist shit being said about a dude who likely died cold, alone, and terrified while on what was probably supposed to be the ski trip of a lifetime (wasnt reported missing for so long b/c he was headed to whistler for a week afterwards).
    I hope he wasn't driving to Whistler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

agreed. entirely fucked up.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I hope he wasn't driving to Whistler.
    Coffee snorted.

Actually, most it was some insensitive shit said about Asians in general, not this dude in particular. Juvenile, yes. Hate speech, hardly..

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Other than his relatives reporting him AWOL, guessing there were other signs, maybe his car in the parking garage/lot, didn't check out of his room, etc? Is this another argument for everyone wearing a beacon in bounds? Clearly his cell phone wasn't pinging his location because that's probably the first thing they tried to do when looking for him.
    Do you understand how beacons work? Obviously not, based on this comment.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Actually, most it was some insensitive shit said about Asians in general, not this dude in particular. Juvenile, yes. Hate speech, hardly..
    Yeah, it is OK to insult an entire race, but not one member of that race. Wait, I think you got that backwards.

I wonder if they'll ever install RECCO in every ski pass. Seems like a decent way to be able to find missing bodies more efficiently. Of course, day passes would be harder but at $200+ a day seems like they could work something out.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I wonder if they'll ever install RECCO in every ski pass. Seems like a decent way to be able to find missing bodies more efficiently. Of course, day passes would be harder but at $200+ a day seems like they could work something out.
    Recco can be used to find things like phones too. But I don't know how long the range is. Someone on here used it to find a gopro at Crystal some years ago

Really though. They have RFID passes at many/most resorts now that send your entire life history to the liftys iPad... doesnt seem like that far of a reach to get a RECCO type chip in there too that simply bounces a signal off. But im no expert on that stuff.

Random question, do ski patrol have RECCO in their clothing? Seems like they would intentionally not, so that they wouldnt get conflicting locations, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    It would be my understanding that if he were beeping, the patrol and volunteers could have swept the resort for him after closing when all the others with beacons were either gone or participating in the search with theirs set to find. Would have helped to know the last lift he rode to narrow the search some but ya, a beacon might have saved him.

Skeletons skied Tahoe back in ‘68.

Name:  IMG_4029.JPG
Views: 689
Size:  229.8 KB

i heard you can now get the ikon or epic option of having it installed under the skin as an implant...this year optional , next year mandatory....

just think....no more lanyard profiling at big sky. etc....

freeride is working on the same for avi bacons...
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    It would be my understanding that yes, I don’t understand how beacons work. Also, now that I think about it since he wasn’t reported missing for a week, beacons become irrelevant.
    FIFY. FYI beacons have a range of approximately 40-50 meters. The idea of scanning the entire Back Bowls in anything like a relevant time frame is unfeasible. In short, a beacon would not have saved him.

Random question, do ski patrol have RECCO in their clothing? Seems like they would intentionally not, so that they wouldnt get conflicting locations, right?
    Correct. Patrollers using the Recco unit to search are supposed to have all the Recco reflectors removed to prevent conflicting signals.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    FIFY. FYI beacons have a range of approximately 40-50 meters. The idea of scanning the entire Back Bowls in anything like a relevant time frame is unfeasible. In short, a beacon would not have saved him.

Correct. Patrollers using the Recco unit to search are supposed to have all the Recco reflectors removed to prevent conflicting signals.
    What's the range for RECCO? Is drone technology on the horizon for this? Could probably run drones to cover a lot of ground in a short time.
    Didn't know he was MIA over a week before anyone knew. Do recall someone saying they left their beacon on in a jacket and a month later it was still running fine.

Beacons and Recco can be picked up from much further away by special equipment that many SAR groups now have, including helicopter mounted Recco and beacons.

FYI there are shields that SAR and Patrol can wear over their Recco reflectors. They also remove watches, jewelry, and other reflective devices before using the Recco device.

What's the range for RECCO? Is drone technology on the horizon for this? Could probably run drones to cover a lot of ground in a short time.
    Didn't know he was MIA over a week before anyone knew. Do recall someone saying they left their beacon on in a jacket and a month later it was still running fine.
    My understanding is that the SEND function takes minimal battery power, its the SEARCH function that sucks juice. I once left my beacon on in a ski bag for a week and it had only dropped 5%.

If I recall correctly the standard minimum for beacons is 200 hours transmit after 1 hour of search.

250 hours of search only.

Most far exceed this.

How many passes get lost over the span of 1 season and end up scattered about the mountain?

Would that interfere with searching for a missing person by searching for the Recco reflector attached to THEIR pass?

That is why users are not suppose to attach Recco chips to anything except their body or explosives.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

FWIW.

When I lived in Vail in the mid 70's, I remember talk then of remains of a lost skier being found the following summer. Word was then that they had tree welled in the back and had been eaten by a mountian lion.

Wondering how often does someone at a ski area go missing, not to be found until spring time? Can't recall hearing of any others, although before the internet something like this may not have been widely disseminated.

Quote Originally Posted by stayhighstaydry View Post
    Wondering how often does someone at a ski area go missing, not to be found until spring time? Can't recall hearing of any others, although before the internet something like this may not have been widely disseminated.
    Happened a few years ago at Crystal in bounds during a huge, sustained, snow event and despite coordinated search efforts with RECCO and beacons.

He now has a memorial tree.
    Last edited by PNWbrit; 08-20-2019 at 02:47 PM.

I wonder if Vail will implement a system where you're scanned when you leave the resort after dealing with this. I could see them implementing it somehow slowly in the next several seasons.