Page 17 of 175 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Which means it won’t happen.
    You’ve got to be the most negative person on this website.

Anyway, the 06z gfs looks money.

(Albeit a little less money then the 0z, so maybe you’ve got a point)

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    I am in the “fuck the WROD” camp this year too. Cali has so much other sports that are great in November, to deal with shitty skiing. And I love skiing.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Exactly

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

You don’t have to choose one or the other. Caught second chair at Alpine this morning with KT Cheryl (of course) and after about 10 or so laps to break the legs in, going mountain biking this afternoon. Better than nothing. Granted I was motivated to try out some new skis and bindings and probably won’t bother tomorrow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8441.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	255882
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Sweet looking skis. They match the WROD.

FWIW, I’ve enjoyed a WROD or two in my life. Dooley hooked me up back in one of the drought years and I put in miles at gnarstar. It was good fun. It’s not like I wouldn’t put turns down if I was at the base, had a pass and time to kill.

Still much prefer to see them buried u see two feet of snow. Not sure why that’s controversial.

Anyway, 12z and 18z looking good. Nothing like that 0z, which also worked well for my travel days, but still looking like I’ll be able to make a snowman next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    ... Dooley hooked me up...
    Is that as in:
    "...hang down your head, Tom Dooley, hang down your head and cry"?

Give NoStars credit. They opened up Vista lift today, as well as Arrow.
    Rose still only has that flat under Wizard.

Once in a while at NS they get Burnout open with only man made.
    That is actually a pretty gnar trail when weird and icy.

[Yeh, I know you meant Dooks, btw ]

Sent from my SM-G930P using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

OFFICIAL TAHOE 18/19 STOKE, CONDITIONS, WEATHER THREAD

Yeah and N* is just better situated for manmade. No inversion issues. Trees also help.

When I was there Burnout was open, as well as two runs in that other steep area. Spent most of the day back there. They did have a ton open. But like I said, that is a good place to make snow. Rise is too exposed. The wind does not help. Steeps are harder to cover. Inversions.

Oh. And I knew you knew.

Another bonus of gnarstar is that while you are skiing the man made you don’t have to look at all the steeps that don’t have enough snow.

Think I’m going to start a ski company and call it WROD.

Anyways, here’s your WROD stoke you asked for. Smoke settled in throughout the day.

Name:	IMG_4037.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	255984

I’m here wearing a sheepy looking Patagonia fleece if anyone wants to say hi!

From Tahoe Backcountry Alliance:

Join us Saturday November 17th at 6:30pm at Tahoe Mountain Sports in Truckee for an evening of winter film fun.

The Backcountry Film Festival is a celebration of the human-powered experience and a gathering place for the backcountry snowsports community. Funds raised at each screening stay in the local community to support human-powered recreation and conservation efforts, winter education and avalanche/safety programs and to raise awareness of winter management issues.

All proceeds from the Backcountry Film Festival will support the work of the Tahoe Backcountry Alliance.

Purchase tickets here:

Film Festival Tickets

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    Think I’m going to start a ski company and call it WROD.

Anyways, here’s your WROD stoke you asked for. Smoke settled in throughout the day.

Name:	IMG_4037.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	255984
    WROD moguls, now that’s progress. Well done Vail...

It's always nice when they bring the moguls out of storage this early in the season...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by drbecks View Post
    I’m here wearing a sheepy looking Patagonia fleece if anyone wants to say hi!
    Welcome to the forum, Dr.
    How were the films?
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Good idea. Ok execution.
    ☆Origins of Trail Names☆
    This one is for Sierra at Tahoe:
    https://localfreshies.com/legacy-the...erra-at-tahoe/

Sent from my SM-G930P using TGR Forums mobile app
    Last edited by TurxSki; 11-18-2018 at 12:32 PM.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Welcome to the forum, Dr.
    How were the films?
    Thanks! The films were pretty good - the opener (The Abbey) was cool, and the last film was about a guy surfing in Lake Superior which was insane. The short cut of Ode to Muir was a bit meh.

Tahoe mags, I've been putting together a ski touring map for Southwest Tahoe, and after a few seasons of work it's finally gone to print. It shows approach and descent routes from Rubicon down to Pyramid/Ralston, and has photos and guide text for some of the best lines in the zone.

Ask here or shoot me a message if you have any questions on it!

And if you're interested, use code "TGR10" to get a 10% discount on a pre-order (order by 11/26, shipping by 11/28): https://backcountryskimaps.com/product/tahoe-southwest/

Quote Originally Posted by lazyasian View Post
    Tahoe mags, I've been putting together a ski touring map for Southwest Tahoe, and after a few seasons of work it's finally gone to print. It shows approach and descent routes from Rubicon down to Pyramid/Ralston, and has photos and guide text for some of the best lines in the zone.

Ask here or shoot me a message if you have any questions on it!

And if you're interested, use code "TGR10" to get a 10% discount on a pre-order (order by 11/26, shipping by 11/28): https://backcountryskimaps.com/product/tahoe-southwest/
    How much of the revenue are you donating to Tahoe Backcountry Alliance?

Also, thanks for the heads up that this might be my last season getting to enjoy some of the best lines in the north lake zone before the map comes out and sends all the hordes straight to it.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

The only top to bottom skiable backcountry in Tahoe is Carson Pass or the Mt. Rose Area. Otherwise expect to hike to the snow :/. You can thank global warming.

Check out the new P.O.W. / Greenwashing parking at Squaw this season... you have to have 3+ riders per vehicle or pay $30 to park here. Taking up at least 2/3's of the available parking, and really 3/4 when you count employees. Since the mass transit is so consistent and reliable for locals who want to do a few laps and get to work, right?

I like Jeremy Jones, I really do, but fuck man, doesn't he see how he's getting used?

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 7.37.20 PM.png
Views: 602
Size:  375.5 KB

January 2017. Tahoe.

Name:	IMG_3104.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	256099

Name:	IMG_3042.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	256100

Name:	IMG_3038.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	256101

Not like it's the first backcountry guide book or map, but really? Living in another country and you put out a map for people too dumb to figure shit out for themselves? Luckily it's an actual map and no one buys those anymore. The market for this is the same people that need their phone to figure out how to get to work every day. And yes, I know there is already an app for finding backcounty spots. And yes, I will get a chuckle when I hear of people getting lost or stranded when their phone dies or loses service (so long as no one dies).
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Check out the new P.O.W. / Greenwashing parking at Squaw this season... you have to have 3+ riders per vehicle or pay $30 to park here. Taking up at least 2/3's of the available parking, and really 3/4 when you count employees. Since the mass transit is so consistent and reliable for locals who want to do a few laps and get to work, right?

I like Jeremy Jones, I really do, but fuck man, doesn't he see how he's getting used?

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 7.37.20 PM.png
Views: 602
Size:  375.5 KB
    Yeah, I remember hearing about this a few months back. This will work really well, especially on weekends. Almost as brilliant as Alpine having almost all of the upper lot vacant for paid parking on busy days. I guess they figure the best way to solve the traffic problem is by making parking more scarce. Oh, and those little vans (micro-transit - so catchy) that serve the few people already in the valley that are mostly always empty and you need a fuckin app to get a ride.

OFFICIAL TAHOE 18/19 STOKE, CONDITIONS, WEATHER THREAD

Cash grab under the guise of environmentalism... just cut the shit and make it paid parking and stop insulting us. Oh well, whatever, I will mostly only be there on weekdays. I’d be less skeptical if it was 2 or more but 3 or more makes it pretty obvious.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I suppose they're just lubing us up to get us ready for the parking lot to disappear in a few years. Grab yer ankles...

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Not like it's the first backcountry guide book or map, but really? Living in another country and you put out a map for people too dumb to figure shit out for themselves? Luckily it's an actual map and no one buys those anymore. The market for this is the same people that need their phone to figure out how to get to work every day. And yes, I know there is already an app for finding backcounty spots. And yes, I will get a chuckle when I hear of people getting lost or stranded when their phone dies or loses service (so long as no one dies).
    I understand people who are against guidebooks and maps and am not going to be changing any opinions there. So going to have to agree to disagree on that one.

As far as living in another country though, I don't see how that invalidates the knowledge I gained from all my time living in Tahoe and SF. I moved up here and loved the Whistler maps that were available, which was what got me thinking that it would be a useful resource for people in Tahoe as well.

But you don't like it and I'm cool with that. No need for anyone to get one if they don't want one!

That's what they do at Jackson. It can work so long as people can reliably park at the transit center in Tahoe City and somewhere in Truckee (has to be convenient AND on the way) and all hop into one car. It pissed me off the first time but once I got the hang of it it wasn't bad and the transit center had bathrooms which made a difference. At Jackson there are no unpaid options other than the carpool or shuttle from transit center.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.