Page 27 of 122 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Where do you think they get all the guns. Massive business smuggling American guns to Mexico. Literally people walking into sportsmans/cabelas to buy guns and send them to Mexico in exchange for drugs coming north.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    most of the guns in mexico are stolen (bought/purchased) from Mexican police or military, Obama and Holder tried to prove your Cabela's theory by setting up straw purchasers in gun shops in the Fast and Furious op but got caught in the requirement for background checks and why would you trade guns when you can trade actual cash?
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    Wrong.

The Department of Justice's Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) found that 70 percent of firearms reported to have been recovered in Mexico from 2014 through 2018 and submitted for tracing were U.S. sourced.: https://www.gao.gov/products/gao-21-322
    sorry, we're talking about 2 different things, you are talking about guns recovered, I'm talking about guns still being used by the cartels....
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    most of the guns in mexico are stolen (bought/purchased) from Mexican police or military, Obama and Holder tried to prove your Cabela's theory by setting up straw purchasers in gun shops in the Fast and Furious op but got caught in the requirement for background checks and why would you trade guns when you can trade actual cash?
    Yeah, do you have any data to back that up? From the govt...

The Department of Justice's Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) found that 70 percent of firearms reported to have been recovered in Mexico from 2014 through 2018 and submitted for tracing were U.S. sourced: https://www.gao.gov/products/gao-21-322

As far as the history of gunwalking goes, yeah, that also predates Obama and probably W.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

^^^ why does every thread with american posters end up a gun debate.

In all seriousness (not really), gas prices are getting out of hand and goddamn I miss Tillamook Cheese and cheap beer. I'm fully vaxxed, open er up. I really want to eat at Carnal in Bham, no jokre about that.

I can't find any stats about stolen military weapons, but the gun tracing is of more than 150k US sourced arms. That's a lot of fucking guns that are going over the Mexican border. And Canada's. And apparently, to the UK... and everywhere else. Stupid fucking gun laws.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post
    I really want to eat at Carnal in Bham, no jokre about that.
    Me too, and I live here. Haven't dined "in" in fifteen months.

It's definitely still having an impact up here. I'd post a link to this article but it won't let me do that or even copy and paste the text. But hey, here's a maggot still building his post count anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Me too, and I live here. Haven't dined "in" in fifteen months.
    I ate out many times during the pandemic but have recently stopped going because the service sucks. Short-staffed restaurants and kitchens, along with a resurgence of customers suddenly showing up, make for a pretty negative dining experience and long wait times. Going to be six months to a year before this ship gets turned around and things come back into balance between supply/demand in the service industry.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I ate out many times during the pandemic but have recently stopped going because the service sucks. Short-staffed restaurants and kitchens, along with a resurgence of customers suddenly showing up, make for a pretty negative dining experience and long wait times. Going to be six months to a year before this ship gets turned around and things come back into balance between supply/demand in the service industry.
    You're an optimist. I think a lot of people who had been working service industry jobs got forced to look elsewhere by the pandemic and then realized that they preferred steady income and less abuse from customers, this deciding not to return. As long as the economy is good, it's going to be tough to sell entry level service industry jobs.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Yeah that's true in this town. Everybody has a help wanted sign.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    You're an optimist. I think a lot of people who had been working service industry jobs got forced to look elsewhere by the pandemic and then realized that they preferred steady income and less abuse from customers, this deciding not to return. As long as the economy is good, it's going to be tough to sell entry level service industry jobs.

You may be right, but I'm curious to see what happens when all the federal unemployment benefits expire. I'm living proof people won't have any incentive to go back to work as long as that tap keeps flowing. Look at all the money the feds have piled on us this year just in terms of stimulus checks. We're a family of 4, and it's crazy how much money they gave us. And we didn't even need it, although it certainly came in handy. I dunno, I think it will sort itself out eventually. Lots of people still collecting UE and there's no work search requirement...who in their right mind is going to walk away from that to go work a service job?

You may be right, but I'm curious to see what happens when all the federal unemployment benefits expire. I'm living proof people won't have any incentive to go back to work as long as that tap keeps flowing. Look at all the money the feds have piled on us this year just in terms of stimulus checks. We're a family of 4, and it's crazy how much money they gave us. And we didn't even need it, although it certainly came in handy. I dunno, I think it will sort itself out eventually. Lots of people still collecting UE and there's no work search requirement...who in their right mind is going to walk away from that to go work a service job?
    Anecdotally, based on folks I know in Montana (where the governor already stopped the enhanced benefits), the ones that were actually good at serving and bartending are either already back at it or gainfully employed elsewhere, often for more money and with benefits like healthcare and PTO. I'm sure there are some people gaming the system as best they can, but a lot of those people are probably also the ones you don't want to see sharing your shift at the restaurant.

Its borders in general as much as it is can/US border and the acceptence that there are mouthbreathers on both sides of the border that don't give af. NS, NB , PEI have had a fairly long stretch of being able to have the maritime bubble , with NB checking all cars coming in from Quebec(more people there dont give af, amongst the good people) until the 3rd wave hit and they broke up the bubble. Theyre still negotiating to get the maratime bubble back in place before they invite the rest of Canada and then the US. Going to have to wait your turn for those frosty cold alpines and fundy lobster

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

(where the governor already stopped the enhanced benefits)
    Actually the additional benefits don't expire until the end of June, per the Gov's directive. So time will tell.

Actually the additional benefits don't expire until the end of June, per the Gov's directive. So time will tell.
    That's what I get for not reading the whole article. I still think that the number of good service industry employees sitting on their butts (or riding their bikes or whatever) is relatively small, but the number of less-stellar employees doing so may be significant. As you said, though, time will tell.

I'm shocked

Quote Originally Posted by josef View Post
    This whole thread reads like a Canadian version of a MAGA rally…. “Build the wall!”
    Quote Originally Posted by josef View Post
    I hear you. I don’t have an opinion on you all opening the border or not. I have two young boat anchors at home so it doesn’t effect me one bit. In years past I spent a lot of time in Canada and love the place. That being said according to the data I have seen the US is slightly further along in vaccinations than Canada and that’s with 10x the people to vaccinate.

It’s your border and you get to open them when you want. I just find the narrative of pitting one group against the other to be a little comical.
    This

That's what I get for not reading the whole article. I still think that the number of good service industry employees sitting on their butts (or riding their bikes or whatever) is relatively small, but the number of less-stellar employees doing so may be significant. As you said, though, time will tell.

In the general population I agree with this statement. However in the small world of ski area employees the abuse of extra benefits was rampant. Countless ski patrollers and lifties I know didn’t show up for their summer jobs once the gravy train was rolling. The COVID summer of fun enjoyment and posting your travels to the gram was ridiculous last year, and many have continued this path.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    In the general population I agree with this statement. However in the small world of ski area employees the abuse of extra benefits was rampant. Countless ski patrollers and lifties I know didn’t show up for their summer jobs once the gravy train was rolling. The COVID summer of fun enjoyment and posting your travels to the gram was ridiculous last year, and many have continued this path.
    I don't often agree with our Republican governor, but I do think the federal relief bill that extended UE benefits until the end of September was overkill. Ending them in June made more sense because there are so many jobs available and everybody who wants to be vaxxed should be by now, so there's really no excuse for not going back to work. At least in Montana. I realize some states are farther behind in reopening, and that might make a difference.

But hey, this thread is about Canada. What is the Canadian government doing to help businesses and employees that have been harmed by the pandemic and lack of U.S. tourists?

But hey, this thread is about Canada. What is the Canadian government doing to help businesses and employees that have been harmed by the pandemic and lack of U.S. tourists?
    Viewing the situation from a distance, it seems like Canada has been dealing with the same issues the U.S. has. It's a difficult balance between supporting displaced workers and supporting them so much that they'd rather be on the dole than working. Curious to hear the perspective from Canadians.

I didnt really qualify for any free $$$$ but they gave me 500$ so i bought a FAT bike
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Amazing how angry folks get when service workers and ski patrollers bilk the government when the wealthy in both countries have been doing this for years. This is chump change we are talking about in the grand scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Viewing the situation from a distance, it seems like Canada has been dealing with the same issues the U.S. has. It's a difficult balance between supporting displaced workers and supporting them so much that they'd rather be on the dole than working. Curious to hear the perspective from Canadians.
    Some people are collecting CERB but the ones I know of who are doing so would be the perpetual EI takers anyway. Of all the things I've heard friends and acquaintances bitch about, freeloading Canadians taking government money instead of working has actually never popped up. People (myself included) seem more concerned about all the private small business owners being able to recover over the next year or so than anything, really.

Having said all that, I live in a (comparatively) rich neighborhood full of caucasian dentists so YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Amazing how angry folks get when service workers and ski patrollers bilk the government when the wealthy in both countries have been doing this for years. This is chump change we are talking about in the grand scheme of things.
    First thing I thought when I read that was "good. maybe they'll start paying them more."

This.

I get in this argument occasionally with my MIL... she complains about people gaming the system and uses that as a reason to get rid of whatever program some person is gaming.

I try to get her to not dwell on the outlier cases and look to see if said program HELPS people that need help.

But she's old and doesn't want to hear it.