Selling a truck that's been in an accident...

Just days after I found out I had a job offer in the UK and need to sell my truck, some girl turned in front of me and hit me nearly head on. The body shop did a great job and $10k later, the truck looks nearly brand new. I asked the insurance company if they were going to reimburse me for the lost value but they said that once repaired the truck would be worth exactly the same. Yeah, sure. Maybe it would be if i could freakin sell it! Insurance companies should just total out every vehicle that gets in an accident, seems they're worthless once that happens.

I had it sold to a dealership the other day and then it came to the disclosure and the dealership backed out.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of this thing?

2008 Nissan Frontier crew cab long bed 4x4
    Here's the ebay listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AMESELX%3AIT

If I'm going to have to give it away, may as well be to a maggot. so make an offer if you think you might be interested.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Oh trust me that's crossed my mind. A little too obvious i think though....
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Have you settled with the company? I had a 2004 Denali get hit head on when it had about 6,000 miles on it. $16,000 repair bill, and I was able to get $10,000 in a dimunition in value claim.

Looking for something like that, but a little far from Tennessee.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Thanks for the info, sounds like even if i've closed the claim i can still file for diminution of value.
    Ben Franklin

Good luck on the diminished value claim. I have been down this road on two cars with no luck and had an attorney get nasty in one case with no results.
    To late now, but for other readers that find them self in a situation where the car is pretty busted up, but no totaled. Ask the insurance company if they can work with you to sell the car to a dismantling company and reimburse you for the rest. I don't remember the exact details, but my daughter crashed a Passat that was worth maybe $11-12k as a re sale. It was $10k to fix, so USAA at my request found a buyer for it at around $10k as is. I just took the money, as I didn't want her driving that car.
    OP, in your shoes, I would be honest about the accident and repairs as any dope that has the car checked out will know it was crashed and then could likely fuck with you for non disclosure. Just deal with it honestly is my 2 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    OP, in your shoes, I would be honest about the accident and repairs as any dope that has the car checked out will know it was crashed and then could likely fuck with you for non disclosure. Just deal with it honestly is my 2 cents.
    True. Even if the accident doesn't get reported to carfax etc., it will show up on a CLUE report that all insurers and lenders have access to.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Now i'm hearing some advice that i shouldn't sell the truck until i've settled the diminution of value claim. sweet. I'm supposed to be in UK in two weeks i hope i can get this sorted.
    Ben Franklin

her insurance or yours?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Her insurance. There was no question she was at fault.
    Ben Franklin

I would be interested in the truck but I'm broke! My 2001 frontier is paid for but doesn't fit the family - four door would be nice. Sooooo, if you are giving it away, I have a home for it!!!

Sorry, I am of no help whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I'm the most extreme skier in my office. I'll see your III and raise you one level of radness.

Looks like an actual sales price for this truck (w/o accident & subsequent repair) would be in the neighborhood of $15K. What are you looking to get for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

similar incident just happened to my Volvo. Last weekend some dumb biatch drove through a stop sign and hit me as I was crossing the intersection (no stop sign for me)... I have $5k in damage to a car worth $14k, but the repair will require a body section taken from donor car and welded into mine. I too was on the verge of listing mine for sale, and the accident history will surely have an impact on what I can get for it, and I'm sure it won't be what I still owe... So, I appreciate any advice given to the op.

edit for question: live2ski; what is this USAA you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by fez View Post
    Her insurance. There was no question she was at fault.
    Go back to to the dealer and find out what they will pay as a repaured truck... The difference is the loss in value.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by QuikR12 View Post
    similar incident just happened to my Volvo. Last weekend some dumb biatch drove through a stop sign and hit me as I was crossing the intersection (no stop sign for me)... I have $5k in damage to a car worth $14k, but the repair will require a body section taken from donor car and welded into mine. I too was on the verge of listing mine for sale, and the accident history will surely have an impact on what I can get for it, and I'm sure it won't be what I still owe... So, I appreciate any advice given to the op.

edit for question: live2ski; what is this USAA you speak of?
    USAA is a great insurance company for military and dependents. Your car is fucked and there is no way I would let the insurance company repair it. I would demand they total it like my daughters Passat.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Looks like an actual sales price for this truck (w/o accident & subsequent repair) would be in the neighborhood of $15K. What are you looking to get for it?
    Not sure where you are getting your numbers, but on KBB.com book value is around $21k, trade in is around $18k. The dealer that backed out was ready to pay $18k. With the accident disclosure, I had another dealer tell me they would give me $12k. Once i get the diminution of value claim done, I guess I'm going to put it on ebay with a $12k starting bid and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Go back to to the dealer and find out what they will pay as a repaured truck... The difference is the loss in value.
    Unfortunately no one is willing to do that for me. I've talked to a few other dealers, but no one is willing to put anything in writing. The dealer who was ready to buy at $18k isn't interested at all in the truck knowing it's been repaired, part of their marketing spiel is that they don't sell cars that require disclosure. I'm in Sodak right now and any vehicle that has had over $5k in damage requires disclosure.

I paid $50 to an online outfit that uses a algorithm of some sort to calculate diminished value. They came up with about what i was hearing from the dealers, around $6k in lost value. A few reviews around the web indicated that people had success using their docs for DV claims. I sent that off to the insurance company day before yesterday. Hopefully I'll have an answer today or early next week. I call around 4 times a day to ask. figure if i cant get paid, at least i can cost their cs group some money.

The other option to the $50 online thing would be a full appraisal. Those run around $300 - $350 so i figured i'd give the cheaper option a try first.

and QuickR12, USAA is a insurance and financial services company for ex military and their families. great company if you qualify.
    Ben Franklin

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction.

Like I said, if the words "state" or "farm" are anywhere in the name of the opposing insurance company, you're about to get screwed. I.e. State Farm, Allstate, Farm Bureau.

Good luck.

Ken
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

^^^
    Don't forget Farmer's, my homeowners insurance company that is dicking me around on a hail damage claim.
    Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by fez View Post
    Not sure where you are getting your numbers, but on KBB.com book value is around $21k, trade in is around $18k. The dealer that backed out was ready to pay $18k. With the accident disclosure, I had another dealer tell me they would give me $12k. Once i get the diminution of value claim done, I guess I'm going to put it on ebay with a $12k starting bid and see what happens.
    Kelly Blue Book is bullshit, on all their numbers -- always has been. NADA is high too, but not as egregiously so as KBB.

I like Edmunds' TMV appraisal -- have used it in the past for buying (new and used) and for selling, and it's been a good guide in my experience.

After you get the diminution claim resolved, let me know. I'd buy your truck at $12K, assuming it is in as good shape as the ebay ad makes it out to be. Mrs. C.'s Tacoma has ~120K miles on it; could replace it with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by ridefree View Post
    I would be interested in the truck but I'm broke! My 2001 frontier is paid for but doesn't fit the family - four door would be nice. Sooooo, if you are giving it away, I have a home for it!!!

Sorry, I am of no help whatsoever.
    I might be interested in your 2001, and then you could buy Fez's 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinner View Post
    I might be interested in your 2001, and then you could buy Fez's 2008.
    Then who would buy your Lincoln?

Well, truck's gone. Got $14,500 for it, not bad i guess. Still dealing with the insurance company, hopefully get a few more grand out of them. At least now i can get moving on to my new job.
    Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    USAA is a great insurance company for military and dependents.
    +1
    My stepfather got me grandfathered in. He's been dead 21 years, but I'm still with them. They've never pulled any crap with me or anyone else I know.
    You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness, and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer.