Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Chinese Goggles on Amazon

Hey I thought these looked pretty cool and the price is right, what do you think?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014XKTCM4/

If you can wait 2 weeks for delivery you can get similar goggles on wish for about$15

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

Always had good luck with the non-name Chinese knockoffs. Spherical, double lens w a couple replacements for like 30-40 bucks? I can buy and lose/damage 3 pairs and still come out ahead.

Out of curiosity I bought 3-4 pairs on eBay last season. One pair was $20 free shipping and the highest pair was about $50+free shipping. Regardless of the price, it seemed they were all the same. I gave/traded them away to people who needed them in a pinch.

I was surprised at how nice they were. In the Friday thread, someone mentioned that sunglasses have among the highest markup anywhere.

I can’t help but think a $250 pair of ski goggles is highway robbery.

A couple of weeks ago I order two more pairs as emergency backups. I’ll take some pics when they come in.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Would be curious to hear performance reviews on some of these as well.

I have a friend in the sunglasses business and the markup he described was truly insane.

The markup is insane... I had a buddy that worked at an Oakley retail store and just before he quit he had me come in for a hookup... The short of it was his boss had to do the transaction so it was legit and not under the table and I got a pair of Oakley Flightdeck prizm that retail for $210 and my cost was $42 out the door... And that was just the friends and family discount... No doubt they still made some money...

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

I'm a fan of having multiple cheaper name brand goggles, Bole, Smith, Uvex I come across cheap to have different lens options, clear, amber, dark, yellow all in the boot bag ready to go.. or loan/give to a guest/friend who didn't realize that it's impossible to ski in a heavy manmade snowmaking session without some goggles.

I'm also a fan of "good" vintage sun glasses.. Vuarnet, RayBan, Oakley, and cheaper but cool retro iSki. I much prefer glasses to goggles unless it's really cold or rain/snow/guns blasting conditions.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Asian fit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I picked the same pair as the op posted. I would say they were a direct knockoff of the Anon goggles I had before (the ones that didn’t survive meeting my neighbors new lab puppy) so fit was the same and I am not Asian.

I had picked them up just to get me through the winter when I planned to see what went on sale. But they did the job so I never bothered with getting a replacement

Did somewhat feel bad for the designers at Anon or who ever came up with the shape etc. but I got over it.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

It would be Interesting to see how optics and clarity compare to Oakley and other high end goggles. Not sure I’d want to trust the Chinese versions for impact protection.

Out of curiosity how different is the lens shape from an Anon M2. I wonder if any knockoff is blatent enough that the lenses would fit in an actual Anon frame

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

I agree^^. Also, it is not too hard to make a decent regular light lens, but I wonder if the cheap brands are able to perform well in poor light... ie. Storms, foggy flat light, etc. I'd definitely snap up a pair if they do well. At least as a backup/loaner.

Sent from my SM-G950U using TGR Forums mobile app

Although, speaking of markup, Evo has Smith Squad XL for 75 bucks with 2 chromapop lenses right now. Not spherical, but good quality.

Sent from my SM-G950U using TGR Forums mobile app

I teach at night so I picked up a cheap pair with yellow lenses to try in our low light conditions. We're still not skiing yet in WA (at least I'm not) but will report once I've had a chance to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Out of curiosity how different is the lens shape from an Anon M2. I wonder if any knockoff is blatent enough that the lenses would fit in an actual Anon frame

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Tried exactly this, specifically from a brand called zionor. Very, very close but ultimately no dice

Hm. Wouldn't be worried about impact protection since it seems to be the same injection molded plastic. Would be worried about contrast though. I ski Smith sensor mirror (might be what they now call blue sensor mirror?) practically every ski day because that's Montana for you. Especially western MT.
    As for long term durability, I wouldn't be too concerned about it for that price. Fit maybe.
    Maybe I'll guinea pig some for you all since my Smiths are about done strap/foam wise.
    Can anyone tell if the light blue is like sensor mirror? I'm used to the amber tint, it's just the contrast coating that's blue. Just a blue lens seems...weird.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Just realized it's 50% off with coupon code GOGGLESPRO. Ordered black frame, orange lens. $20, what could go wrong?
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Just realized it's 50% off with coupon code GOGGLESPRO. Ordered black frame, orange lens. $20, what could go wrong?
    thanks for that...2 for $49

Name:  beer.jpg
Views: 6270
Size:  122.7 KB

Do they say

GOGGLEAS

on the side?

Been sportin Chinese lenses for a while now. My face just “agrees” with the Oakley crowbar design. I have 3 frames and 2 years ago I found cheap replacement lenses for like $20 on amazon bought several colors and haven’t noticed a differences. After several tree branch encounters I just toss and replace.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

For that price, I'd give 'em a shot. Anyone have any idea if they'll fit OK with a Giro Zone (ie. if the original Anon design might work?)

When you get right down to it, aren't they all "Chinese" goggles? Maybe Vietnam or Bangla Desh?

Whatever, just pulled the trigger. Thanks for the code stuck.

Review to follow.
    The Sheriff is near!

Is there a reason to be concerned about UV protection with cheap ebay/ Amazon goggles? The name brand sunglass makers always hype that when promoting their expensive products. Just hype or legit?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Is there a reason to be concerned about UV protection with cheap ebay/ Amazon goggles? The name brand sunglass makers always hype that when promoting their expensive products. Just hype or legit?
    Had that thought too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

GCN did an Oakley tour where they went into the QC labs and it looks like Oakley does a lot of testing that the Chinese knock off’s might not. Nonetheless other than brushing against a branch now and then, I’m not sure it matters.
    I forgot if they mentioned the UV testing stuff.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda