Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Two parts cream cheese and one part Elmer's glue at RMR. Just what we needed, should be a good reset for inbounds at least. Tough day if you don't ski goats.

Re; holiday crowds... will be interesting to see what happens on the other holidays. I'm sure multiple reasons for the xmas slow down.

Yesterday was coastal mush with a side of grabby. Bottom third was hard to turn in. A few degrees from awesome!

Hey interior BC mags.

I'm in the middle of a two week BC road trip. Just made it back to Golden from a 9 night trip to Battle Abbey after getting stuck for an extra two nights due to helicopters being grounded.

My GF and I have a place booked in Fernie starting tomorrow. Does anyone happen to have a conditions update on how Fernie is skiing and how much rain it got from this recent cycle?

We're contemplating bailing on Fernie and heading home to the Tetons to ski pow with our remaining vacation days if things aren't looking good in Fernie.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Hey interior BC mags.

I'm in the middle of a two week BC road trip. Just made it back to Golden from a 9 night trip to Battle Abbey after getting stuck for an extra two nights due to helicopters being grounded.

My GF and I have a place booked in Fernie starting tomorrow. Does anyone happen to have a conditions update on how Fernie is skiing and how much rain it got from this recent cycle?

We're contemplating bailing on Fernie and heading home to the Tetons to ski pow with our remaining vacation days if things aren't looking good in Fernie.
    I'm not at Fernie but TGR doesn't get much traffic so will answer for the benefit of Revy/Valhallas area which is close enough. Freezing level was at 1600m - 1800m in the pineapple. Lower elevations will be in poor shape. Higher elevations will have survived. But my best guess is that things will be generally be rough in the Fernie area except for higher elevations

This is what the avalanche forecast for the region says:
    High freezing levels over the weekend produced moist surface snow up to 2000 m, now a crust and under a trace of recent flurries.
    I would head home to the Tetons. We're having a shit winter up here.

Winter powder conditions above 1500m here at Red. A bit grabby but skiable with a couple of inches of new snow on top at lower elevations.

17cm in last 48 hours. Top half isn't bad, but if the tetons are dumping then I would recommend you go there. Currie bowl is open so thats nice, but conditions are still what I consider variable.

Lower mountain is pretty shit. Upside is there's nobody around so you can find pow stashes in the right places!

Point your wheels south.. And spend the extra 8hrs.. Fernie is not great right now.. And well you know how good it is down in wydaho now

Thanks everyone. We bailed on Fernie and just got home. It's currently 20 degrees colder at home in the Tetons than it is in Fernie.

I'm zero for three on Canadian ski trips. Maybe someday I'll ski good snow on top of a stable base in Canada, ha.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    That works for me. I'm there for the snow, not the sushi.
    I was there with my family over new years. The food this year is the best it has ever been. Dinner still takes forever, but it was tasty.

Even with this season's stability issues we still got to ski a lot of the usual suspects. Had some flying issues with fog and icing, so only two full days out of five. Still fun!

Tell Pat that "bigline" (/s) says hi.

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    I was there with my family over new years. The food this year is the best it has ever been. Dinner still takes forever, but it was tasty.

Even with this season's stability issues we still got to ski a lot of the usual suspects. Had some flying issues with fog and icing, so only two full days out of five. Still fun!

Tyler H says hi!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flowguidingDSC09945.jpeg 
Views:	98 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	443202

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    Try to not make this a “Cease and desist” Bigliner….

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Tyler H says hi!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flowguidingDSC09945.jpeg 
Views:	98 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	443202
    Nice! Ty was lead guiding the 212 program, so we didn't get to ski with him this past trip.

Looks like the taps have been turned on at RMR, so to speak. Still a crappy snow year according to the charts, but are things starting to look up?

In the 15yrs I’ve been in this town/valley, this is the lowest snowpack I have ever experienced here. I mean, we’ve had high freezing levels before that leave the valley bottom a bit brown/green, but above 1000m I’ve been spoiled with consistently lusciously deep snowpacks. It’s only a meter base at the local honey hole, and 66% of normal in our basin as of Jan 1st.

I might need to seek some therapy if this weekend’s forecasted refresh doesn’t happen.

I just got back from a great time in Revy. Mostly staring at cute girls and drinking beers at the junior b hockey game. Seattle is lame in comparison. The skiing was alright in the resort, but pretty bummed on the snowpack so we couldn't get out to Rogers

Tourist question: Against our better judgement Mrs.doc and I are likely rolling through in early March with a 6mo old in tow. RMR/WW/Sun Peaks. Anybody know a babysitter or good childcare options? Willing to pay well cash and bonus points if they're willing to chill in the lot in the Van (Kidding...sorta)
    Last edited by Huskydoc; 01-19-2023 at 04:35 PM.

RMR 2023 - come for the skiing, stay for the Grizzlies.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    In the 15yrs I’ve been in this town/valley, this is the lowest snowpack I have ever experienced here. I mean, we’ve had high freezing levels before that leave the valley bottom a bit brown/green, but above 1000m I’ve been spoiled with consistently lusciously deep snowpacks. It’s only a meter base at the local honey hole, and 66% of normal in our basin as of Jan 1st.

I might need to seek some therapy if this weekend’s forecasted refresh doesn’t happen.
    Well, we're coming from a place where it has rained 20/25 days since Christmas, and everything is still green. I've seen buds coming out on trees FFS.... So, anywhere that has some sort of snow to slide on will be a treat.

This 'winter' is setting a new low bar for suckage. Excited to make the most of it, though!

Sun Peaks has excellent coverage and is skiing just fine right now. Of course it is not a place for powder hounds but usually is among the most reliable conditions/coverage in B.C. in the poor snow years.

2022/23 BC Southern Interior

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    Sun Peaks has excellent coverage and is skiing just fine right now. Of course it is not a place for powder hounds but usually is among the most reliable conditions/coverage in B.C. in the poor snow years.
    In the top 3 for the best family ski resort in the province, consistently IMO. Wish it was a bit closer and a bit cheaper, but who doesn’t The next pro-D day I’ll be up with the daughter. She’s pumped for the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    That was plan A for our family trip. But in the end, decided on Pano since I worked there like 23 years ago. I see it still doesn't snow there...

Can anyone confirm or deny: is self contained RV truck camping allowed at Kootenay pass or Red mountain? Thanks and hope everyone gets more snow

There's quite a few at the Red Mountain parking lot this week, so I assume it's allowed. Not so sure about Kootenay Pass. It is BC Parks, so I'm guessing it may not be. Parking up there is already at a premium, and I think they enforce the rules. Just not sure what they are..

Red has always allowed self contained RVs at no charge.

Last time I was at Whitewater, a few years ago they charged $25/night for RVs, $40 if you plug in to 15amp plug at their shop. Bring your own extension cord.

Sun Peaks also wants $25 for overnight parking with no services, last time I checked.