Just in case you think Gore and Whiteface are self supporting businesses

The owners of Hunter and Platt should sue.

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise...bways-to-skis/

ORDA as a whole operates at a loss all the time. Come to whiteface mid week in January, you'll see maybe a handful of purchased day passes, maybe. It's almost all season pass holders. The place is always empty mid week.
    Cuomo loves it up here, he's always throwing money into the area, it's awesome.
    Not sure why Hunter or Platt should sue, or even care. They are pretty far away from each other for this to even affect them

More Gore
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

More Gore. So was there for the Stella storm last March. Skied until about 3:00 went in for a break and they closed the mountain because they had gotten too much snow.

Name:  gore mar2017.JPG
Views: 954
Size:  95.6 KB

Well actually the Gov. declared a state of emergency so all state employees had to leave. They plowed the parking lot in the morning so we got in ok but that was it. They even shut the bar down.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gore1.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	481.8 KB 
ID:	209366

Snow was up to the door sill, cars stuck all over the parking lot, Hunter and Platt got nothing to worry about. Good Times.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gore2.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	532.0 KB 
ID:	209367

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    The owners of Hunter and Platt should sue.

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise...bways-to-skis/
    does this bother you?

in most posts about business you are all about trying to fuck the man

There's plenty of state subsidized employment going on in NYS, the fact that a handful of upstate jobs are maintained this way (through these ski areas) hardly bothers me. In fact, I probably support it unless the dollars spent are really wasted to a greater degree than with other state subsidized jobs.

I don't think Lazlo at Plattekill cares, even if it is nominally unfair.
    [quote][//quote]

Eh, shouldn't have mentioned the lawsuit. Just trying to mix it up. Its just that I used to hear employees tell me at Gore (I even worked with a few patrollers) that Gore was profitable. Cough, cough, bullshit. Still, good way to support the poor people up north, and provide an awesome little mountain to the Albany and north skier. New Yorkers and Joisy people go to Vermont.

Not run like private ski hills, though. One time I was there on a Tuesday after an overnight 12-16. Nobody there, delicious. So, Benny decides to get greedy and poach the old double line, which was closed. Ski by it, thinking, the quad further on down has to be open. Er, no. 45 minute hike out. When I asked a patrolman why that whole side of the mountain was closed, he said, Its Tuesday. But, but, there's a ton of snow on the mountain. He looks at me, and says, again, It"s Tuesday. Oh, ok, I get it. State employees, what are you going to do.

Eh, shouldn't have mentioned the lawsuit. Just trying to mix it up. Its just that I used to hear employees tell me at Gore (I even worked with a few patrollers) that Gore was profitable. Cough, cough, bullshit. Still, good way to support the poor people up north, and provide an awesome little mountain to the Albany and north skier. New Yorkers and Joisy people go to Vermont.

Not run like private ski hills, though. One time I was there on a Tuesday after an overnight 12-16. Nobody there, delicious. So, Benny decides to get greedy and poach the old double line, which was closed. Ski by it, thinking, the quad further on down has to be open. Er, no. 45 minute hike out. When I asked a patrolman why that whole side of the mountain was closed, he said, Its Tuesday. But, but, there's a ton of snow on the mountain. He looks at me, and says, again, It"s Tuesday. Oh, ok, I get it. State employees, what are you going to do.
    You should have said to him "MORE GORE"
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

high school friend used to volly at Jay and moved home and volunteered ski patrol at gore for one season. he didn't have a lot of good things to say

orda loses money every year. it would be hard to know if gore makes money. I doubt it, the ORDA report gives details on revenue but not expenses - what a surprise

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    You should have said to him "MORE GORE"
    Five days on the Max pass this year. I'll be ready for Tuesday powder, though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums mobile app

Wow America is COMMUNIST.

Pretty good article on skiing becoming an international middle class sport. Whiteface fits the bill with this.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...masses/385691/

Plus, the money the state spends on Gore and Whiteface, keeps hotels, restaurants and storefront ski shops (many around NYS) open, too. So, this sort of Keyensian spending makes a lot of sense.

Above all, Whiteface is the mountain in what is an international sport center, Lake Placid, for x-country & biathalon, ski jumping, bobsled & luge, hockey, figure skating, plus equestrian training & competition.

I've had substantive dealings with both Aaron Kellett and Bill Borland, the top man and business manager for the mountain. Really good guys.

Again, money well spent.

Sent from my SM-G920T using TGR Forums mobile app
    Last edited by charles martel; 07-17-2017 at 05:20 AM.