Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

best catskiing operation in BC?

I also did the groupOn, but a year later with maggot Fat Mike and his buds from the oil fields. Kieran and Donna were super accommodating and we all had a great time. Nash and the cute Norwegian guide, gave us a tour of Red after our trip.

I did a lot of solo heli/cat trips when I lived in Chicago. I found if I always went last. I still got fresh tracks and whenever they did the biggest line of the day, they always called me up first. I almost always had fun.
    Only once the tail guide got in trouble and I had to rescue him. Then they put the brakes on for the rest of the day.

That's Kieran and Paula, not Donna...

ETA - And I misspelled her name the first time.... Sorry Paula!
    Last edited by GoldMember; 12-06-2018 at 09:20 AM.

Oops, sorry Paulla.

Island Lake Lodge just posted a last minute trip cancellation. This operation is usually sold out solid, with a long wait list. Ask for MIke and tell them The Ski Journal sent you.

Via Facebook @Island Lake Lodge

Island Lake Lodge
    1 hr ·

We have a last minute cancellation Jan 7 - 10. Conditions are currently excellent. Give us a call if you can come and crush some powder! 250-423-3700

Island Lake Lodge is great, amazing terrain.

Ditto, loved our time at Island Lake!

What ever happened to Steve Kujit? Great guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Ditto, loved our time at Island Lake!

What ever happened to Steve Kujit? Great guy!
    the guide with the bald head, named Steve...is still at ILL. Highly recommended guide.

we came close to booking last minute seats at retallack, and briefly considered eagle pass heli but ended up just doing this: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...dtrip-Dec-2018. so alas, i have yet to pop my catskiing cherry

Anyone here been to Keefer Lake Lodge? Fairly new operation with a really new lodge that looks pretty awesome. We're heading there next week for a 4 day trip but I don't have a lot of background on it. Looking for any beta the dental community has to offer.

My buddy works there. He says the terrain sucks but the lodge is awesome. Have fun!

Retallack was sweet

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    My buddy works there. He says the terrain sucks but the lodge is awesome. Have fun!
    Hmmm.....that's not really what I was hoping to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Its mellow. Not at all like Retallack

What kind of dough do people usually through down for 4-5 days of cat skiing at a lodge.

Is that 4-5k pretty standard?

If you’re on a cancellation list cheaper? Like how much?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by SkiLyft; 01-01-2020 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wibby View Post
    the guide with the bald head, named Steve...is still at ILL. Highly recommended guide.
    Steve Kujit has long, thick hair, so you must be talking about a different Steve. Or he got a wig.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
    Steve Kujit has long, thick hair, so you must be talking about a different Steve. Or he got a wig.
    Sounds like a different Steve. At the time I was referring to Steve Kloepzig.

/packing my bags for Island Lake Lodge. Monday arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Its mellow. Not at all like Retallack
    Oh well, we'll make the best of it. Untracked pow is untracked pow... Still a fun time.

IME its mostly about the weatehr and then the group, the first time we had shitty snow/ a lower snow pack / a slow group/ death crust up high (which tripped everyone cept the snow boarding guide) and people who couldn't beat the Cat down yeah the waiting sucks BUT realisticaly you might miss what a run ?

Cuz you only do as many runs as the cat (which is slow) can carry you so the real choke point is the cat and shitty conditions are shitty, slow riders are the least of my worries

second trip we had good snow, terrain had filled in and we had 12 highly competent and competative skiers & boarders that were all good time bro's ... much better trip

Good thing about Skeena cat ski is that I can leave home at 7am and be on the cat at 8 so I have no accomadation or travel costs, also I can just call up to see if they have room on the spur of the moment
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Headed to Valhalla for a day the second week of March. Seemed like the best option of price/terrain/proximity to our location around that date so pulled the trigger. The way this season is shaping up in WA, might be the first time i get to try out my new Protests...

Headed to Mustang for the steep chutes program in march, I'll put up a TR when done, super pumped.

Retallack is awesome, that's about all I have to add. Hope to be back someday.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    I thought your company did a media trip video thing there last year? There is some ok terrain but its a long haul from lodge. Nothing like you would find at any other cat op in BC (terrain wise). It was low tide until about 10 days ago. Coverage should be good.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    I thought your company did a media trip video thing there last year? There is some ok terrain but its a long haul from lodge. Nothing like you would find at any other cat op in BC (terrain wise). It was low tide until about 10 days ago. Coverage should be good.
    Nah, I retired from the filming. This is a recreational trip. I'm going with the guy who filmed there but I wasn't on the media trip with him last year. This is my first cat trip in 5 or 6 years.

Didn't read the entire thread to see if anyone else mentioned this, but in the past I've had good luck by putting myself on a standby list at multiple operations and getting a pretty good price offered to me if and when they call.

This has happened more than once at Valhalla, and one 2 night all inclusive trip to White Grizzly.

Every time I've had success has been low snow times, but there is so much terrain you still get some fresh turns.

Ymmv

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I used to book Southwest into GEG and do standby, when conditions looked promising.
    Just cancel the whole trip if they don’t.