Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    No. Fuck Fiddlers Green. Worst possible venue for a punk show. If they held it almost anywhere else, or any of those bands came to almost any other venue, I'd be there in a heartbeat.
    Worst possible venue for any show.
    You should have been here yesterday!

No. Fuck Fiddlers Green. Worst possible venue for a punk show. If they held it almost anywhere else, or any of those bands came to almost any other venue, I'd be there in a heartbeat.
    Yeah, agreed. Saw Slayer there last summer but wouldn't have gone if it wasn't their farewell tour. Hate that venue, and their $10 shock top.

Worst
    Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    Worst
    Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Hate
    I understand skipping a show because the venue will ruin it. And I understand the Dwarves are shades of their former selves, it's not my Black Flag, NOFX kinda made Bad Religion obsolete, and Dexter is getting a little gray to be singing that high. Likewise, yall must understand that The Vandals absolutely rule live and are worth putting up with quite a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    NOFX kinda made Bad Religion obsolete.
    Does not compute. Two totally different styles, and two of my favorite bands since middle school. Bad Religion has political substance, NOFX has humor. I'd still like to see the two together one last time, even at a shitty venue.

Does not compute. Two totally different styles, and two of my favorite bands since middle school. Bad Religion has political substance, NOFX has humor. I'd still like to see the two together one last time, even at a shitty venue.
    Agreed. We get Sum41 instead of Bad Religion here in SLC, blah.

Anyone going to Punk Rock Bowling in Vegas? This is the first year I've lived close enough but unfortunately already have plans. Rancid, The Vandals, Descendants and Flag all headlining.

Here is some modern punk that I've been into recently. Song doesn't actually start til 1:30.
    It sucks to suck.

Right? Both great bands (and both bands would agree with that statement) but they're totally different in both substance and style.

I strongly disagree. NOFX and Bad Religion have absolutely similar styles and sound. And for fucks sake NOFX is very political and always has been.

It’s not a coincidence that before founding Fat Records NOFX was on Epitaph (owned by Bad Religion frontman Brett Gurewitz) and their records were produced by Brett Gurewitz.

Mike is also a huge fan!

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    I strongly disagree. NOFX and Bad Religion have absolutely similar styles and sound. And for fucks sake NOFX is very political and always has been.

It’s not a coincidence that before founding Fat Records NOFX was on Epitaph (owned by Bad Religion frontman Brett Gurewitz) and their records were produced by Brett Gurewitz.

Mike is also a huge fan!
    Seriously two of my favorite bands evar, but I recognize the difference between them. Imagine Greg Graffin singing "My Vagina".

But thanks for bringing this up, and reminding me that I need to listen to them both more than I have been lately!

Does not compute
    they're totally different in both substance and style.
    NOFX and Bad Religion
    I recognize the difference between them
    I'm obviously with steepconcrete on this one. I didn't mean that they're exactly the same or that NOFX ripped off Bad Religion, but you don't get NOFX without BR. The "complex" harmonies (for punk), the skatepunk tempo, the layered guitar sound, the drums.

NOFX is what happens when a young punker from San Francisco in the 80's goes to a Bad Religion concert while wearing a Milo Goes to College shirt, takes a hit of speed, and realizes as much as he loves Earth A.D., Danzig and Co. already have a corner on that market. NOFX took the skatepunk framework that BR helped invent and perfected it.

Name:  b5a3387eefe792e9f736a432b563011f.640x640x1.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  87.3 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	album_NOFX-Surfer.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	280206

Name:  Stranger_Than_Fiction.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  16.6 KB

And yes, NOFX has always been political. It's just they used to be political with humor and now they're political with boring.
    Last edited by CS2-6; 04-27-2019 at 05:51 AM.
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

I have the blue vinyl version of Surfer.

I was thinking about this while mowing earlier.

1st - Fat Mike was from LA not SF. East Beverly Hills to be precise.

2nd- I’m not sure I can think of a band as similar to NFOXs sound wise than Bad Religion. Bracket maybe Lag Wagon? Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies does not count!

3rd... shit I had at least a few more. Forgot. Damn old age!

Ohh and check out thier book. The audiobook was on youtube I assume it stil is. It’s nutty.

A bit of reflection on venues that suck, for whatever reason. If I've already seen the band, in the current line up I may opt to pass on a show if the venue has pissed me off in the past. However, If I haven't seen them live and they're someplace close I'm gonna let a lot more slide and give the shitty venue my money anyway. There are too many times I've made wishy washy excuses to pass on shows only to have the artist die before I got another chance to see them.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Yeah, I mean it's no secret that NOFX and Fat Mike were/are influenced heavily by Bad Religion. Mike has talked about that a lot. Hell, every time both bands are playing in the same place, Mike usually ends up on stage poaching Jay's mic to sing backing vocals.

And I'll also agree that early NOFX was pretty much a Bad Religion ripoff sound.

But I think if you take their whole body of work, I think their sounds and styles have diverged quite a bit. And in no way do I think NOFX has made Bad Religion irrelevant. BR has stayed pretty true to their early sound and songwriting - song structures built around the classic principles of American folk music, 3 part vocal harmonies, and lyrical content focusing on the intellectual, political, and scientific. Of course, they've evolved, but they've taken a lot of care to make their new stuff true to the old stuff. Profane Rights of Man could have easily been on Suffer or No Control.

NOFX has evolved a lot from their BR copycat sound. They don't use vocal harmonies nearly as much, the song structures are often non-traditional (no choruses, etc), they use a lot more complex lead guitar parts (ever since El Hefe joined), they branch into other styles such as ska, lyrical content varies widely from political to profane to irreverent, etc.

I would argue that Pennywise sounds more like Bad Religion than NOFX. Which is not a dig, I really like Pennywise too.

Quote Originally Posted by TransplantedFromRMNP View Post
    Anyone hitting up the Sambroso show this weekend in Denver?

Dendrites, Dwarves, Strung Out, Black Flag, The Vandals, Bad Religion, Offspring

I’ll be there standing in the back

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    How was it? Got to see one of the most bad-ass guitarists in the punk scene, ever. So I liked it. I left way before Offspring played. Good band, but I don't really care to see them.

All those mini-beer tickets were nice, I wasn't expecting that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8188.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	985.3 KB 
ID:	280561

I have the blue vinyl version of Surfer.
    I'm beginning to learn you have quite a collection of rad things.
    Fat Mike was from LA not SF. East Beverly Hills
    Ah, damn it. I'm always forgetting that Fat Mike was in LA before he moved to SF (although he's apparently from Massachusetts?). I always associate NOFX with the Bay Area.
    not sure I can think of a band as similar to NFOXs sound wise than Bad Religion
    I dunno, a lot of those Fat Wreck bands from the late '90s (also known as the soundtrack to my highschool years) have a distinct NOFX flavor (Strung Out, pre-Today's Empires, Weakerthans-Propagandhi, Guttermouth, early-Big Wig, Pulley, Hi Standard, Frenzel Rhomb, the a fore-mentioned Lagwagon and Bracket, etc). That's not a bad thing, I loved them unconditionally at the time, but as I get a little older they don't do anything for me that NOFX doesn't do better.
    thier book. The audiobook
    Thanks, man, I will. I didn't even know about it. And, I still need to watch the Fat Wreck documentary.
    NOFX and Fat Mike were/are influenced heavily by Bad Religion...early NOFX was pretty much a Bad Religion ripoff...their sounds and styles have diverged quite a bit
    I don't disagree with a single thing in your post. I fucking love TGR. A handfull of people can agree nearly 100% on a topic and still argue about it.

And when I said "irrelevant", I was both humorously overstating the truth and revealing my own biases. I just prefer what NOFX became (and their assorted followers) to what BR became (and their assorted followers like No Use For A Name and Good Riddance).
    I really like Pennywise too.
    Seconded; Pennywise fucking rules.
    Last edited by CS2-6; 05-01-2019 at 03:22 AM.

Fat Wreck doc? Hell ya thanks for mentioning!

I don't disagree with a single thing in your post. I fucking love TGR. A handfull of people can agree nearly 100% on a topic and still argue about it.
    lol, fact.

And when I said "irrelevant", I was both humorously overstating the truth and revealing my own biases. I just prefer what NOFX became (and their assorted followers) to what BR became (and their assorted followers like No Use For A Name and Good Riddance).
    That's fair. I like a lot of NOFX stuff but I'm definitely a bigger BR fan and I'm super psyched for their new album on Friday.
    Oh and definitely check out the NOFX audiobook, it's incredible.

Back to posting music. Saw these guys open for Propagandhi last fall, they put on a good show.

Ok a little on the softer side but anyone like Ten Foot Pole or Millencolin ? They both still tour which amazes me. Ten Foot Pole is playing in Denver next week and considered going. Used to like their style.

@muted, is that Greg Ginn? It's getting to the point where I don't even recognize some of the 80s icons.

little-known fact: Raymond Pettibon is his brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    @muted, is that Greg Ginn? It's getting to the point where I don't even recognize some of the 80s icons.

little-known fact: Raymond Pettibon is his brother.
    yes! and i just found out who is brother was last week actually.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Ok a little on the softer side but anyone like Ten Foot Pole or Millencolin ? They both still tour which amazes me. Ten Foot Pole is playing in Denver next week and considered going. Used to like their style.
    Millencolin is playing the Oriental September 11. They are a good show.

Oriental theatre is bringing good acts. Saw Peter Murphy and David J in February. Seeing Bouncing Souls Friday night.

Black Flag @ Oriental Theater 8/28/19

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    stay outta my line

Went to see Off With Their Heads and Iron Chic at the Analog in Portland during a stopover on our honeymoon. Unbeknownst to us, RVIVR opened and blew the other 2 out of the water.

Been on a bouncing souls kick recently. According to the googles, they're playing Denver tonight and tomorrow. This is one of those times where I regret moving out of the front range to a place with zero music scene.