Middle Fork Salmon > Main Salmon TR

The flowy stoke continues. No riding for me today...All i can do is sit around fantasizing about spring and summer. Just getting around to posting these pics from this past June. Huge thanks to Carvedog and the late Count Derk for makin it happen for me. This trip practically fell in my lap thanks to them.

My apologies for the picture jonging. It only allows me to upload 10 at a time.

Forgot to mention myself and a buddy paddled in from Marsh. Great levels. Chickened out at Dagger Falls. I dont like rollin solo and that shit looked ledgey....and it's Idaho.

HotCarls version of a seal launch MF style. HC approaching velvet next.

I believe the good ol BakerBoy's in there somewhere.
    Last edited by Flowtorch; 03-27-2010 at 02:43 PM.

Pics 4 and 5 pistol creek creek rapid. MoonDog went for a swim in the first one. We had like 3dog swims on this trip. All ok....'cept for the one who ate the ganja goodies, lightweight.

Pic8&9-soaked in the springs morning, noon and night.

------------------

Pic2:Confluence with Big Creek. High on my to do list
    Pic4:BigCreek

Pic2: Moon hearts the Middle Fork
    Pic3: This big sweep boat doesnt have any options other than to gut stuff. He took a BIG hit here. An 18ft gear boat came through next and nearly flipped tossing out customers gear bags.
    Pic5:That bitch hotcarl

Soon after the last of the rapids on MF we merged with the Main. Most of the group was taking out at this point. Three of my buddies and myself were to float down after ditching the rest of group to the official put in for the Main and to meet Derk(permit holder for main). I said my goodbyes to the others and took off on my own downriver. Not 5 minutes or a mile from leaving the group I'm floating along thinking, man-this looks like the kind of place you would see a bear. I look to my left, scan the hillside and there's two big ones up the hill! Shit ya, welcome to the Main. Anyone experts know if they're grizz's?

Pic9-Derk, the man on his last river trip. Rip buddy.

Awesome pics and TR. I have only run the Main with my best friend who guided there commercially for a lot of years.

I don't THINK those are grizz, I only saw black bears on the main. Some of my least favorite bear experiences, but they were all black bears. Even with those really light colors, probably blacks.

Looks like an amazing trip, and great pics. Glad it happened to be on top of thread since I never look in Kayak. Thanks, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

Main

One of the best hotsprings ever. It has been altered by man yes but the bathtub soak is just phenomenal.

Pic5 is a funny story. One of the guys was breakin down the groover that morning. Meaning well, he gave the seat a good rinse and left it in a little pool to soak for a minute. Not being Idahoan's, he was not accustomed to sharing the river with jetboats. One come by shortly after and the wake swept the toilet seat out to sea. With our leisurely pace we didn't realize it for sometime.

Derk and I immediately set off in front of the group in our yaks to find the seat. We went well over 5 miles. Derk had given up and was a ways behind me. I was determined to find it, it has this sweet Whistler sticker and belongs to Hotcarl. Somewhere about mile 7 I was still scanning the river...a flash of white caught my eye. Swirling a couple feet below the surface on an eddy line in about 30,000cfs of water I grabbed it, the business end of it.

One of the most memorable trips ever for me. Following a river from near it's source, a shallow narrow creek to ocean size waves over 30k was incredible. Every tributary we saw was crankin. Every day you saw it grow and grow. Had every type of weather you could ask for. Wildlife. Flips. Great water. Long days. Idaho!

really nice pics and fun times.

to add pix without using attachments you have to upload your photos to a photo hosting site (flickr, picasa, shutterfly, snapfish, etc.) and copy and paste the URL into the little landscape icon when you are posting.
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

Man that's rough seeing pics from Derk's last river trip... too many good people broken or lost in 09. Here's to a better season! Thanks for the stoke... headed to the Salt for the 2nd time this season on Apr. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Flowtorch View Post
    Pic2:Confluence with Big Creek. High on my to do list
    Pic4:BigCreek
    Nice stuff. I did all of my thesis on Big Creek hydrology. Never boated it, but am quite familiar with it. Let me know if you have any questions.

My permit.
    So local it hurts...

wow that looks like a friggin blast! I am totally green with envy. I fished the salmon river a bit as a kid but never got to float it. Now I'm stuck in Dallas and dying to get back home (montana) and do this float. Beautiful!