Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    What time of year and length of stay?

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    What time of year and length of stay?
    I am thinking, that the kids move slow in getting to the yurt. They also won’t ski from sunrise to sundown, so the number of ski hours/day is fairly low, so a bit longer trip would be good. 3 or 4 nights, would probably be good.

Considering around mid January and mid February.
    Good spring destinations (mid/late April) also welcome.

maybe the ridgeline yurt at Lost Trail would work for you. pretty cheap at $45 per person per night. wicked easy access means more time for touring or whatever. you can get gear hauled for a price too.

http://losttrail.com/lodging/

https://wildernessriver.com/ridgeline-yurts/

plus you get to visit Lost Trail, which is a great little ski area. only 16 hours from St. Cloud according to the googles....

http://losttrail.com/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01066DD4-93B4-4154-ABA6-2AE34D38E449.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	470.2 KB 
ID:	338946

the soup fucking sucks ass though.... no shit, worst fuckin’ soup i ever bought.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C24C1504-E6E9-4874-8CFC-9E3719DD782D.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	637.4 KB 
ID:	338945

Quote Originally Posted by Tjaardbreeuwer View Post
    somewhere with mostly gentle slopes, versus a very steep mountain range.
    Have you considered MN?

And you lecturing GfT on safe mountain travel is pretty damn funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Have you considered MN?
    I will certainly get out here at home (if we get enough snow), but AT skiing is very limited: often not enough snow to cover the rocks/logs on the ground, and super dense forest, so it's rare to find a descent that is both long enough, and open enough to make some turns. Great XC skiing though.
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    And you lecturing GfT on safe mountain travel is pretty damn funny.
    I certainly didn’t think I was lecturering @GuyfromTerrace? He had said (paraphrasing): that it would be hard to find a place to meadow skip + ski steep lines + have it be affordable. I entirely agree with that. I explained that of those things, I actually was NOT looking to ski steep lines, so only looking for affordable + low angle terrain.

He had (correctly) pointed out that you can find safe skiing in most conditions and locations, and so I clarified that I was looking for a location where the majority of the terrain was less steep, vs a place where most of the terrain is steep, and you might be able to wind your way through on lower angle stuff.

I think this is a case of things coming across different than intended.
    Last edited by Tjaardbreeuwer; 09-03-2020 at 07:27 PM.

You seem like you've read a lot about ski touring.

EOT.

Or like Gary said... get a guide.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    phenominal backhanded compliment.

I will certainly get out here at home (if we get enough snow), but AT skiing is very limited: often not enough snow to cover the rocks/logs on the ground, and super dense forest, so it's rare to find a descent that is both long enough, and open enough to make some turns. Great XC skiing though.

I certainly did think I was lecturering @GuyfromTerrace? He had said (paraphrasing): that it would be hard to find a place to meadow skip + ski steep lines + have it be affordable. I entirely agree with that. I explained that of those things, I actually was NOT looking to ski steep lines, so only looking for affordable + low angle terrain.

He had (correctly) pointed out that you can find safe skiing in most conditions and locations, and so I clarified that I was looking for a location where the majority of the terrain was less steep, vs a place where most of the terrain is steep, and you might be able to wind your way through on lower angle stuff.

I think this is a case of things coming across different than intended.
    http://<br /> <br /> https://youtu.b...w<br /> <br />

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Correct, as I mentioned in my opening post, I am new to touring, and the only education I have done is AIARE1 two years ago, and reading what I can. Last season was cut short, missing out on more time in the snow and more guided courses.
    Because of that, I know that I am not very good at snowpack knowledge yet, so my plan is to manage through terrain choice rather than more detailed snowpack analysis and predictions.

Hence my request for suggested locations with ample low angle terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post

fify...

seriously bud, ignore the trolls and check out them yurts.

Correct, as I mentioned in my opening post, I am new to touring, and the only education I have done is AIARE1 two years ago, and reading what I can. Last season was cut short, missing out on more time in the snow and more guided courses.
    Because of that, I know that I am not very good at snowpack knowledge yet, so my plan is to manage through terrain choice rather than more detailed snowpack analysis and predictions.

Hence my request for suggested locations with ample low angle terrain.
    My snark comes from a place of seeing multiple mags with extensive background touring offer you suggestions and yet you know better than them on locations they suggest.

My snark comes from a place of seeing multiple mags with extensive background touring offer you suggestions and yet you know better than them on locations they suggest.
    He took avy1. Probably on vacation.

So he's totally set to decide what's safe in an unfamiliar snowpack.

I bet he'll dig one of those pits they showed him. Just to confirm a regional forecast he read on the plane.

Before completely accurately deciding what's avalanche terrain or not on his map app for his equally inexperienced wife and their two small kids.

Hmm, I certainly wasn’t thinking that. Sorry if it came across that way for anyone.

One thing is that I think most people here, tend to ski different terrain than I’m looking for on this kind of trip. What they consider “low angle” might still be steeper than what I am willing to do.

I think there were some cool places mentioned, most of which I had not heard of before. Thanks for those!

So you want to XC ski on touring gear?

FWIW most huts in CO are located near a plethora of low angle, low consequence skiing. It is why they exist.

Looking for backcountry hut/yurt with &quot;hippie pow&quot;

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    FWIW most huts in CO are located near a plethora of low angle, low consequence skiing. It is why they exist.
    I was thinking this too. I suspect many of the easily accessed 10th Mtn Huts are already booking out give the expectations of what a shit show resorts will be this winter.

So you want to XC ski on touring gear?
    Yes, perhaps for some people. Not for me. I can’t make turns on my (backcountry) XC gear in ungroomed snow. But yes, perfectly happy on ~20 degree slope, making turns down the hill. So if some people would choose XC gear for that, than indeed, that’s what I meant.

As long as there are not big flat parts in the middle of the descent, where you’d have to put skins back on.
    Last edited by Tjaardbreeuwer; 09-09-2020 at 08:11 AM.

https://highsierrasnowcat.com

These guys have all you desire. Low angle stuff a few yards from the door to massively steep Sierra skimo lines with snowcat assisted skiing (you will still skin lots of vert, this is not a snow cat ski operation.) Guides prepare meals, but leave the yurt each evening. A little more expensive because it is guided, but they are well worth it especially if skiing with a family. Biggest bonus is the mostly very stable Sierra snow pack. We can slide and slide big, but it is much more predictable then many snow packs.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

OP. The more I read this thread, the more I think you need a guide.

Wing Ridge Hut in the Wallowas.
    http://www.wallowahuts.com/stoke.php
    About an hour skin in to the hut, get a guide to lead you in and show you the terrain. There's lots of low angle tree skiing off the main ridge and steeps into the bowls.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    OP. The more I read this thread, the more I think you need a guide.
    Thanks for the honest advice. Definitely considering options to make that work.

Thanks for the honest advice. Definitely considering options to make that work.
    You're welcome. This could be an awesome life changing adventure for you and your kids, or a shit show that turns em off BC skiing for good.

Look at the never summer nordic yurts in Colorado, they have super easy approaches (some drive up, most a mile or 2 from the car), lots of meadow skipping, affordable, rustic yet comfortable. They do not really have steep lines for the most part, but you said you're not really looking for that.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy