Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Building a TK842? It will be twice the original.

Next time I crack open the amp, I'll see if we can get tk421 on board.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post

sent from Utah.
    man i wanna learn how to do all this nerdery

should i just start with a basic amp kit?

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post

sent from Utah.
    I don't know why I am fixated on this. Buck was my favorite of the male characters from Boogie Nights. I crack up every time I see this thread title because I can't help thinking of the movie.

Haha, it's so fun. Swing by the house one day, and I'll show you some stuff, and give you some pointers on getting started.
    For me it all started with a few repairs. The research it took to understand how stuff works was crucial, and after several successful repairs, I felt like I generally understood how amplifiers worked, and was ready to tackle my first build. 3 successful builds later, and more repairs, I am trying to take the next step, designing my own circuits and building them, and learning to evaluate them. What's fun about this is the rabbit hole is so deep in so many different directions.
    I'm thinking a gain clone kit might be a good first build. I did a honey badger for my first one. Jump in, the water is fine.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Also, lt slice is a pretty cool simulator.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Definitely not at basinbeaters level yet but I've recapped a few sets of speakers recently. It's been keeping me busy after work in the evenings. These Dynacos that my dad gave me got fresh grill cloth, new caps and refinished veneer.

also dipping my toe into the rabbit hole that is vinyl. Not sold yet and so far it's been nothing but challenges but most of that could be because I'm using gear that is 40 - 50 years old

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Definitely not at basinbeaters level yet but I've recapped a few sets of speakers recently. It's been keeping me busy after work in the evenings. These Dynacos that my dad gave me got fresh grill cloth, new caps and refinished veneer.

also dipping my toe into the rabbit hole that is vinyl. Not sold yet and so far it's been nothing but challenges but most of that could be because I'm using gear that is 40 - 50 years old

man those grills looks fucking great!!

i've done basic stuff, like CX network rebuilds, but nothing else. need to try something harder.

my la scalas are ugly as shit, maybe i should rebuild those

Those speakers are niiiice looking!
    I'll build the amp, tgapp design the speaker, and dfinn put it all together and make it look pretty. Tgr sound system.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Ooooh, la scalas. Nice! Let's see em!

No pics yet but also working on refreshing a pair of Sansui SP-3500s. Someone turned them up really loud, melted resistors and plastic on the crossovers. I replaced all the resistors and caps, replaced blown tweeters and mids. Just need to re-foam the woofers now, both had separated from the surrounds.

Buffer circuit plays hip hop. Scope dances.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Cool 100pHz square wave playing through the gb150d. Yellow is input signal, and blue is the output. You can see a vmin and max for each along the bottom. They are on different scales, with the input swinging about 3.12V, and the output of the amplifier swinging 79.6V. Square wave is good to look at for amplifiers as it shows you how well the amplifier tracks the signal, if it overshoots significantly, or if there is ringing in the amplifier circuit. It also can tell you if the amplifier has a good slew rate, or the amount of voltage it can swing in a given time. There are many other things you can learn about the amplifier from a square wave, this is just the tip.
    This source signal shows a slight curve at the beginning of the flat top square indicating a slight drop in the output, but the drop is evident in the source signal, and the amp output mirrors that exactly. The input is low quality from a cheapo officemax dock. So it looks like a decent quality function generator is the next tool for the bench. eBay here we come.

.Name:  gb150d 1000hz square wave.jpeg
Views: 1299
Size:  65.8 KB

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

The rabbit hole deepens. I've tested my buffer in lt spice, and built a breadboard prototype and a perforated board prototype. All three check out. Time to do design a pcb and get some made. I added an 18v regulated power supply section so I can feed it 15vac.
    Gonna call it the Summit Audio Lab 1 in 1 out buffer. 1 in 1 out because it provides unity gain.

Here is my crack at designing a pcb.

Edit, 5 copies are on the way for a grand total of $8.27 shipped.

Name:  Summit%20Audio%20Lab%201%20in%201%20out%20Buffer%20V0.1.jpeg
Views: 1166
Size:  107.3 KB

sent from Utah.
    Last edited by basinbeater; 02-09-2021 at 12:49 PM.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    man those grills looks fucking great!!

i've done basic stuff, like CX network rebuilds, but nothing else. need to try something harder.

my la scalas are ugly as shit, maybe i should rebuild those
    They can't be much uglier than my Khorns. Actually there not that bad, they're the decorator series and have none of the extra wood or grills. I have some rosewood boards that I'll eventually cut up or these. I'm still not sure if I'll veneer them yet, I like the color they've turned but a nice veneer would look nice with the rosewood.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Klipschorns 2.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	362078

That Sony/Dynaco system should sound nice, I have a pair of A35's with an early 70's Sony amp that sound much better than they should.

Quote Originally Posted by refried View Post
    They can't be much uglier than my Khorns.
    challenge accepted

I left the room messy to show them in their natural habitat

ouch! someone did not treat those very nicely

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    ouch! someone did not treat those very nicely
    yeah, they were apparently used as a high school auditorium loud speaker setup before i got them. they're the industrial variant, but i have new crossovers and mostly new drivers in them, and the cabinets don't rattle, so i keep them around

i have heresy II's upstairs, which are good, but not nearly as good as the la scalas

They look optimized for playing punk.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

You may have won that, but can you beat these Pioneers? Someone added a pair EV mids and tweeters to them and I was surprised they sound OK, I'm using them as Shop speakers switching between those and B&O S75's

Name:  Pioneer CS-53 2.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  344.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by refried View Post
    You may have won that, but can you beat these Pioneers? Someone added a pair EV mids and tweeters to them and I was surprised they sound OK, I'm using them as Shop speakers switching between those and B&O S75's

Name:  Pioneer CS-53 2.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  344.2 KB
    the skis make that picture perfect

just to prove I'm not a total scub..

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    They look optimized for playing punk.
    Need to vandalize them with a screwdriver in order to listen to the Butthole Surfers.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    the skis make that picture perfect

I lost use of a building I was using for storage, I didn't realize how much stuff I had in there. After too many trips things just got piled up. Everything has a proper home now.

The DQ-20's I was using before the Khorns (along with a Velodyne HGS-18, not shown). I'm using them in the HT system now, they replaced ADS 730's (I'm using 300's and 200's for surround speakers).

Name:  Dahlquist.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  473.2 KB
    Speakerlabs
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2240512.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	858.2 KB 
ID:	362085

Those dq20 look sweet.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

yeah those dq20's are beautiful, but how power hungry are they, really?

i used to have a pair of magneplanar's, but i found that their no-limit power consumption didn't really jive with me hard-limit budget considerations.

i like klipsch because i can get a few good watts for dirt cheap, and they just sing