Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Should I take up Golf?

Over 50, check.
    Lives in Florida part time, check.
    Bored, obviously if I'm considering Golf.

I played a little bit when I was kid but I was more interested in boating and fishing, figured it would be something I would pick up later in life. Not a huge fan of the game, I think it's silly but I like the idea of how it started with drunken Scottish sheepherder's.

Disc golf. Seriously.

If you’re bored and hell-bent on spending a stupid amount of money just to be frustrated, then maybe golf is your thing. If I had to pay $15 for range balls every time I wanted to practice the damn sport, I would rather just blow money at Top Golf.

Edit: What Robin said.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    Not a huge fan of the game, I think it's silly but I like the idea of how it started with drunken Scottish sheepherder's.
    With this...why would you want to? Maybe try pickleball? I hear it's all that with the GILFs.

But for real, I just started golfing again this year after ~25 years off (with maybe 6 total rounds during that period) and I am hooked like a fucking junkie. I like it because it is infinitely hard yet somehow relaxing. Hitting a good shot is almost as much fun as skiing or riding singletrack, and it doesn't require any significant physical effort and you probably aren't going to break a leg or dislocate a shoulder golfing, unless shit gets real.

Also, I don't find it that much more expensive than skiing, and likely LESS expensive than mountain biking. Gear lasts a long time and I paid $1100 for a pass at a nice local course, which is twice what I pay for a ski pass, but the season is almost twice as long and golf is way less condition-dependent. In other words, unless it's raining, it's great. Compare this to skiing where it sucked in December/January, was great in February, and then snowed about 5" in all of March.

My biggest downside so far is that I have spent a lot of my limited free time this spring golfing instead of doing more physically active things, like biking. In fact, I have a 4:56 tee time today.

I can't throw a frisbee for shit.
    The main interest in Golf is I have a couple friends that play so I thought it would be fun. We usually get together for bowling or playing Valheim online. Figured it was another game to get drunk with friends and would be a good day out.

I started at 46 yo as a reason to keep in shape through the rest of my life. My physical limitations hold me back but I learned how to putt and make good short game shots and got to an 8 HI, but I loved golf since I was a kid. I made lots of friends and got to be outdoors a lot because of golf. If you played baseball and were a good hitter or hockey, you have a leg up. If you like to practice, are the least bit creative, and have control over your emotions golf is really fun. If you don't want to practice, have expectations of performing at a high level w/out putting in the time, or are overly emotional it's probably not a good fit. And there is some great bass fishing in golf course ponds so you'll likely find some new fishing holes.

I suggest finding a place to practice, getting a putter, a sand wedge, and an 8i and see if you like messing around with making shots. You don't want to ingrain a lot of bad habits in a full swing starting w a driver banging 100 balls aimlessly downrange day after day. Maybe there is a par 3 course nearby?

Golf’s a fun time waster and hangout with friends, golfers are generally pretentious insufferable douchebags.

Sounds like it’s a match for you mud.

#1. Golf is a game and not a sport. If you walk it does provide exercise.

It is really absurd if you take it too seriously and get pissed at yourself. The Pros make it look way too easy.

I enjoy the hell out of it.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I started playing golf with friends last spring and had a great time getting drunk with friends and dickin around with golf carts. I have a baseball background so I just used the swing I already knew and adapted it. I could crush drives but my ball striking was generally terrible and my short game equally so. I started to care about how I played and it got less fun very quickly so I started getting drunker and drunker in an effort to stay noncompetitive or something like that. I came to a head when I did this:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0045.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	300.2 KB 
ID:	373810
    I am now banned from local golf courses and have not golfed or drank since.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    swing your fucking sword.

It's a challenge. Rewarding if you work at it.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

Buddy of mine was a good golfer and drinker. At a wild college alum golf outing he passed out on 18 after holing out for a 64.

OP. Playing a round with beers and buds it's a reason to do it IMO. Extra points if you don't keep score.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

sporting clays, if you don't want to try disc golf, it's way more fun than golf
    one of the local old guys says "i can still get a hard on why would i want to golf"
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Golf’s a fun time waster and hangout with friends, golfers are generally pretentious insufferable douchebags.

I know Telemarker's and used to road race in the Central and Prospect Park series in NYC, I think I can deal with a few country club snobs.

^^^ You are 1/2 way there.

I get out for 9 or 18 and I pretty much don't think about the shit that was bothering me for that time.

When my mom retired she took up the game and it gave us something stupid we could do together.

Once you get past the embarrassing period and are more comfortable with it, getting matched with strangers is a pretty good way to meet some interesting people and a few douches.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post

I get out for 9 or 18 and I pretty much don't think about the shit that was bothering me for that time.
    I’ve been feeling this much more lately. It’s more about me time and relaxing outside on the course.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    I started at 46 yo as a reason to keep in shape through the rest of my life. My physical limitations hold me back but I learned how to putt and make good short game shots and got to an 8 HI, but I loved golf since I was a kid. I made lots of friends and got to be outdoors a lot because of golf. If you played baseball and were a good hitter or hockey, you have a leg up. If you like to practice, are the least bit creative, and have control over your emotions golf is really fun. If you don't want to practice, have expectations of performing at a high level w/out putting in the time, or are overly emotional it's probably not a good fit. And there is some great bass fishing in golf course ponds so you'll likely find some new fishing holes.

I suggest finding a place to practice, getting a putter, a sand wedge, and an 8i and see if you like messing around with making shots. You don't want to ingrain a lot of bad habits in a full swing starting w a driver banging 100 balls aimlessly downrange day after day. Maybe there is a par 3 course nearby?
    Hockey yes. Baseball not necessarily--especially if you were a pull hitter. Ex baseball player I played with hit nothing but pull hooks off the tee--really bad pull hooks. One time he hit a duck hook and hit a duck in the head.
    The thing to remember--the thing I had a hard time remembering--is that you aren't allowed to get mad or frustrated by a shot unless it's a shot you can make 99/100. And you can't pat yourself on the back for a great shot unless--same criterion.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post

If you have friends who play it's fun. If you're like me and don't have many golf playing friends and wind up as a single attached to a group of strangers--I wound up playing with a lot of people I didn't care for, and I'm sure they felt the same about me. (Thinking the flag was at half-staff for Ray Charles when it was for Reagan is not a great way to make friends on a golf course.) I used to play with my son and my wife but when they stopped playing, the playing with strangers thing (and a bad back) made me quit the game. It's tough to be sociable for 5 hours with people you are meh about.

After a long hiatus, I just bought some new clubs and plan to golf a fair amount this summer. However, I'm not doing it for the exercise. I get that hiking and biking. So I may rent more carts this year and just focus on the golfing.

I used to keep a 7 iron in my car and just stop off at the local driving range to burn one and hit a bucket of balls. Then progressed to keeping score by how many balls I found vs how many I lost in a round. Wear a hockey jersey and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    I know Telemarker's and used to road race in the Central and Prospect Park series in NYC, I think I can deal with a few country club snobs.
    Hahaha!

I quit a cc because I barely played and I barely played because most were douchebags. The few I did play with had already quit, so I wasn't far behind them.

Today I'll mtn bike 10 out of 10 times before playing a round. I just play as a work thing now because it's better than working... usually ...that 8 on a par 3 can be incredibly depressing and you wish you were at work.

Most 25-35 year old males that didn’t have a consuming hobby pre-Covid have turned to Golf. Good luck getting a tee time...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Hockey yes. Baseball not necessarily--especially if you were a pull hitter. Ex baseball player I played with hit nothing but pull hooks off the tee--really bad pull hooks. One time he hit a duck hook and hit a duck in the head.

The thing to remember--the thing I had a hard time remembering--is that you aren't allowed to get mad or frustrated by a shot unless it's a shot you can make 99/100. And you can't pat yourself on the back for a great shot unless--same criterion.

If you have friends who play it's fun. If you're like me and don't have many golf playing friends and wind up as a single attached to a group of strangers--I wound up playing with a lot of people I didn't care for, and I'm sure they felt the same about me. (Thinking the flag was at half-staff for Ray Charles when it was for Reagan is not a great way to make friends on a golf course.) I used to play with my son and my wife but when they stopped playing, the playing with strangers thing (and a bad back) made me quit the game. It's tough to be sociable for 5 hours with people you are meh about.

The golf swing and baseball swing are the same just on different planes. Dead pull hitters can get clubs that are open(pointed right) at address so the ball always fades and/or change(weaken) their grips. Lots of clubs, particularly drivers, are set up closed since most golfers are OTT and hit slices. And lots of athletes try to smash every tee shot into orbit so there can be a breakdown in mechanics on the tee as well.

Florida seems pretty ideal for boating and fishing ???

I got re-attached to golf by spending a few summertimes in rural redneck towns in the West (where there wasn't uch good dry fly fishing nearby) that have empty cheap courses where you can almost always walk right on and play a sub-90 minute 9 holes. if you are willing to play mid-day in the summer i bet you can pull that off in Florida. if you have many friends that play, maybe you won't care about this aspect?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    #1. Golf is a game and not a sport. If you walk it does provide exercise.

It is really absurd if you take it too seriously and get pissed at yourself. The Pros make it look way too easy.

I enjoy the hell out of it.
    I used to golf a lot as a teen into my 20s. I got bored quickly. Walking the course is the only saving grace. Otherwise, it is like going on a picnic with a girl that you would like to have sex with, but is just a cock tease.
    Buy a 10' surf rod and fish for permit instead.
    I kind of followed the same course as stealurface831, but I always walked the course.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

If you’re a “process person,” the process of golf - from technique/mechanics to equipment to post-round stories and drinks with friends - can be really fun.

If you focus primarily on results, don’t bother - you’ll get tired of not getting the results you want.

If you play, walk. Better for you and better for your game.