Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    ^^Thanks, Thom. You really went above and beyond to help me out with the mount. I think we both learned some different mounting techniques, which was neat. Excited to ski them.

In the way Thom drew the template, you mount the toe by drawing a line 1/2 of your boot sole length forward from the mount point and mounting on the "toe" line (not pin line). You then drop the boot into the heel and mark the length of the actual boot on the ski, and that is the "heel" line. As Thom said above, this may be off by a mm or so (but hopefully consistently); a practice mount on a 2x4 is highly recommended to ensure you're happy with the template spacing. I mounted them on some relatively stiff skis, so I decided to err on the side of small rather than larger heel gap. I think we ended up at about 5.25 mm instead of the Dynafit recommended 5.5 mm heel gap.
    You're welcome! I had fun. It's one of the most adventurous mounts I've done ... mostly due to the fact that we're both so OCD (NTTAWTT). When one of us had a brain fart, the other one picked up the baton.

I definitely simplified my "find and verify the center" technique in working with you.

Now, if Dynafit would only adopt counterbored (instead of countersunk) toe holes as Fritschi has done, finagling the toe alignment would be so much more effective.

Both of our past experiences have shown that a perfect mount will be foiled by sample to sample variance in boots (and even between left and right boot) - mandating the finagling of toe alignment ... nearly EVERY time. Both of us mark our left and right ski for this reason.

How many "pre" releases are due to misaligned toes - either due to an imprecise mount or from not maintaining a consistent left and right ski (before you take pin cup icing into account)?

I debated leaving the pin-line window (box) out of the drawing, fearing that it would confuse matters. Since the intended user of this binding has a sophisticated experience level, I left it in so they could choose either one.

I never trusted templates that mimic a shop jig - with markings intended to reference from the boot center mark on the ski.

The boot is right in front of you to tell you how long it is. Why not just measure it to verify against the stamped length and plot everything out from your chosen boot center on the ski? We've learned with the Dalbello Lupo Ti ID's length was mis-marked in the standard location and correctly marked in a different place on the boot.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 05-11-2017 at 11:56 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

See post #74. We made a minor revision to our mounting approach for the heel and uploaded a new copy of the template. Do I need to repeat that a test mount is in order

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Do I need to repeat that a test mount is in order

... Thom
    Well, I've got a couple sets of SSL 2.0 heel pieces to mount...

I have the B&D adjustment plates that make the heel pattern the same as a Speed Turn/ Speed Radical, and add 9.6mm of fore/after adjustment (thanks truax). Anyone know if mounting with a Speed Radical template would put me in the middle of the adjustment range? Should I just try it and post the results?

Mounting might have to wait

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06102.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	814.7 KB 
ID:	231353

Name:	DSC06104.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	554.1 KB 
ID:	231354

Something broken? Not seeing it

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Something broken? Not seeing it
    Crack through the metal by a screw hole, i.e. halfway to this problem:

Quote Originally Posted by skiitsbetter View Post
    Attachment 196414

check your toes around the screw holes. Glad this didn't happen on something steep. just skating out at the end of the day. other toe has cracks on the screw holes. Out of warranty
    Edit with big red arrows:

Name:	DSC06102_LI.jpg 
Views:	421 
Size:	742.9 KB 
ID:	231355

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    that is terrifying. how old are those?
    Great question! Just purchased from truax on Gear Swap. I don't mean to smear the guy, since he probably had no idea the crack was there, but he probably knows how old they are.

Arrived broken? Sharks in the water

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Arrived broken?
    yup

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    yup
    Are there cracks on the other hole in front too?

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Are there cracks on the other hole in front too?
    The other toe has a crack in the same location (forward side of the right rear screw hole) that hasn't made it all the way down to the base of the binding. Don't see any other cracks.

Toe #2

Name:	DSC06110.jpg 
Views:	455 
Size:	923.5 KB 
ID:	231373

Toe #1, from a more obvious angle

Name:	DSC06106.jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	685.0 KB 
ID:	231374

Ok. Good to be reminded of that potential failure mode.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Well, I've got a couple sets of SSL 2.0 heel pieces to mount...
    Let's get the tools out and party!

... Thom
    Galibier Design

How are folks feeling about the 2.0 after some longer term testing. Thinking about putting these on my 112 waist powder skis. Liking the idea of a lightweight binding with brakes. Other bindings I should be considering for small airs and fastish skiing? 6'0" 170lbs

Quote Originally Posted by skialpy View Post
    How are folks feeling about the 2.0 after some longer term testing. Thinking about putting these on my 112 waist powder skis. Liking the idea of a lightweight binding with brakes. Other bindings I should be considering for small airs and fastish skiing?
    I've got 2.5 pairs (one has radical toes) with plenty of use. Best bindings I even had. There is some side to side play on the lifters on my most well used pair (around 100 days) but I don't notice it and they've never flipped between modes on their own. The other two pairs are still tight.

I've run one pair with brakes. Those work too.

I've had the "unofficial" flat mode autorotate into downhill mode once in all those days, which is a far better track record than many bindings I've owned with an official flat mode. They ski better than older Verticals and Radicals (less wiggle in the heel). More like a Plum Guide without the ridiculous ramp angle.

I keep checking the toes for cracks, but they haven't appeared yet. .

I've successfully skied a pair of SSL 2.0s in the spring for 3+ years without issue. That being said, I'd lean towards something more like the ATK RT10 for mid-winter touring, especially if jumping cliffs is part of the equation. I'm a big fan of heel elasticity for safety reasons too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry - Mark Twain