View Poll Results: Is the 20/21 ski/ride season over?

Voters
260. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course it's cancelled, we are hosed!

56 21.54%
  • Only if we start putting up statures of Dr. Fauci

12 4.62%
  • I've cancelled my plans on travel, but still hope my local will open.

89 34.23%
  • Full steam ahead, I wear a mask when I ski/ride.

103 39.62%
Page 7 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    That means avalanche path. Do you know what an avalanche path is, binky? It's like a place where there is so much snow, and it's really steep, the snow just slides down! You wouldn't know, I guess, you hike up mud and rocks in black fly infested Vermont, binky.

Yo Bunny, you be the mostest negative ass klown around. It's not the avi path issue, it's constantly just seeing everything from a negative viewpoint. Talk to your therapist more regularly and work on this issue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190401_132154.jpg 
Views:	1103 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	334858
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

And this

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    How Novavax Won $1.6 Billion to Make a Coronavirus Vaccine https://nyti.ms/2ChPu4q
    What does this have to do with Moderna, Oxford, or CanSino (the 3 frontrunners for a viable vaccine)?

Did you read this article and decide that it somehow proves your point of the drug companies working on a COVID vaccine being evil? All this really says is the US government gave them a ton of money to try to come up with a vaccine. Sounds like a good thing to me...

Ah, forget it. Some people aren't capable of seeing the glass half full, it's all good.

Well Paulster

"The body stops making antibodies when they're no longer needed to fight off infection, so a reduction over time without further exposure would be expected. What's important is whether or not the 'memory' remains so that if the virus is reintroduced, the body will ramp up those antibodies very quickly. This is one of the reasons why it takes so long to determine if a vaccine is effective."

The news likes to read medical research and pick out one scary sounding fact and then blast their headline with it. Pretty much every time I dig a little deeper, their assessment is a little overblown. Gotta get those clicks, I guess."

well it is not looking too promising on the vaccine front:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/a...44pAvUgtt0LeyU

peer reviewed journal articles do have some weight. It seems more and more likely that effective treatments will be the norm and that a high percentage of us will likely get it at some point. The new normal I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsmurfer View Post
    Well Paulster

"The body stops making antibodies when they're no longer needed to fight off infection, so a reduction over time without further exposure would be expected. What's important is whether or not the 'memory' remains so that if the virus is reintroduced, the body will ramp up those antibodies very quickly. This is one of the reasons why it takes so long to determine if a vaccine is effective."

The news likes to read medical research and pick out one scary sounding fact and then blast their headline with it. Pretty much every time I dig a little deeper, their assessment is a little overblown. Gotta get those clicks, I guess."

peer reviewed journal articles do have some weight. It seems more and more likely that effective treatments will be the norm and that a high percentage of us will likely get it at some point. The new normal I guess.
    It's looking VERY positive on the vaccine front. The Oxford vaccine is looking very promising, and it might even be ready for use in September or October (2020). They're already mass-producing it just in case it's a goodie. Trial data to come out today, actually. And this is only one of 3 front-runners! And there's something like 27 more in development. Human ingenuity will prevail, I have no doubt.

Here's some stuff about the Oxford one:
    Oxford vaccine: Early trials suggest “double protection” from coronavirus

Oxford COVID-19 vaccine may be available in two months, trial results today

Oxford COVID-19 vaccine phase 1 data expected today; Lancet editor's tweet triggers buzz in medical fraternity

More about antibodies and vaccines:
    What happens after vaccination?
    After you have been vaccinated, some of the cells that are responsible for protecting you against disease — your B lymphocytes — detect the antigens in the vaccine. The B lymphocytes will react as if the real infectious organism was invading your body. They multiply to form an army of identical cells that are able to respond to the antigens in the vaccine. The cloned cells then evolve into one of 2 types of cells:

plasma cells; or
    memory B cells.
    The plasma cells produce antibodies (Y- or T-shaped molecules), which are trained specifically to attach to and inactivate the organism you are being vaccinated against.

This response from your immune system, generated by the B lymphocytes, is known as the primary response. It takes several days to build to maximum intensity, and the antibody concentration in the blood peaks at about 14 days.

Your body continues making antibodies and memory B cells for a couple of weeks after vaccination. Over time, the antibodies will gradually disappear, but the memory B cells will remain dormant in your body for many years.

Is the 20/21 ski season over at resorts already?

Last edited by 4matic; 07-20-2020 at 01:52 PM.

Well, here it is: https://www.thelancet.com/lancet/art...736(20)31604-4

It looks like it works.

In conclusion, ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 was safe, tolerated, and immunogenic, while reactogenicity was reduced with paracetamol. A single dose elicited both humoral and cellular responses against SARS-CoV-2, with a booster immunisation augmenting neutralising anti- body titres. The preliminary results of this first-in-human clinical trial supported clinical development progression into ongoing phase 2 and 3 trials. Older age groups with comorbidities, health-care workers, and those with higher risk for SARS-CoV-2 exposure are being recruited and assessed for efficacy, safety, and immunogenicity of ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 given as a single-dose or two-dose administration regimen in further trials conducted in the UK and overseas. We will also evaluate the vaccine in children, once sufficient safety data have been accumu- lated in adult studies. Phase 3 trials are now underway in Brazil, South Africa, and the UK and will evaluate vaccine efficacy in diverse populations.
    Don't worry doomers I got you bros:

"BUT IT'S GOING TO TAKE TOO LONG"
    Phase 3 studies to happen next, but these have already been underway since May.

"THERE'S TOO MANY PEOPLE IN THE WORLD TO VACCINATE"
    Bill & Melinda gates foundation has already helped with funding to produce this bad-boy. They're targeting 2 BILLION doses by the end of the year, with ~300 million doses for developing countries.

"PEOPLE WONT ALL GET IT BECAUSE FREEDOM"
    Well, fuck those people. But at the very least we will have protected our healthcare workers and other important societal 'front lines' - which will be huge for saving the lives of even the most ardent anti-vaxxers.

Have hope. It's free, and it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Yo Bunny, you be the mostest negative ass klown around. It's not the avi path issue, it's constantly just seeing everything from a negative viewpoint. Talk to your therapist more regularly and work on this issue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190401_132154.jpg 
Views:	1103 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	334858
    I approve of that jacket and message....
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    They got close to developing one for SARS/MERS but since those diseases disappeared on their own the vaccine didn't get done. COVID-19 is the same type of virus though so they're using that same technology as a sort of head-start on this one. Much of the work is done, it's all down to testing for effectiveness and safety at this point.
    They did develop SARS/MERS vaccines. They were halfway through trials when the govt pulled the plug on the efforts (funding) because the viruses were contained and disappeared. The guy I got my vaccination from was one of the people who had developed a vaccine and he was able to modify it to work on covid 19, basically doing exactly what Moderna is doing now. Since he has killed the virus in vitro, adding his blood to a petri dish with the virus in it and watched it kill the virus, I'm convinced the Moderna vaccine will be the one going forward. I also believe everyone will get nasal spray boosters to do until it's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsmurfer View Post
    Well Paulster

Why do you put some of your post in an indecipherable font color and some in white?

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    They did develop SARS/MERS vaccines. They were halfway through trials when the govt pulled the plug on the efforts (funding) because the viruses were contained and disappeared. The guy I got my vaccination from was one of the people who had developed a vaccine and he was able to modify it to work on covid 19, basically doing exactly what Moderna is doing now. Since he has killed the virus in vitro, adding his blood to a petri dish with the virus in it and watched it kill the virus, I'm convinced the Moderna vaccine will be the one going forward. I also believe everyone will get nasal spray boosters to do until it's gone.
    That's cool. I think I also read that the Moderna technology can work with a lot of other viruses as well, they just plug in the RNA and it should be good to go, or something like that. Do you know if that's true?

What dude told me was that he took fragments of the spike protein and cultured it in some insect material medium that is sop and that's what I've read about the Moderna vaccine. I heard some talk of RNA but I don't know if it's as simple as a plug and play. I'm just a dood who got vaccinated and the opportunity came through Viva and I know Viva knows and that was good enough for me.

Come on Moderna or Oxford or other. Save the ski season!

After flying four packed flights in and out of Texas, I feel like my potential exposure and acquisition of covid was significant enough to breathe a sigh of relief at 15 days. Supposed to get my booster this week. I really think they'll be distributing vaccine by late October/early November. Just a feel. Just in time for the season. So I'm buying my epic.

It's looking VERY positive on the vaccine front. The Oxford vaccine is looking very promising, and it might even be ready for use in September or October (2020). They're already mass-producing it just in case it's a goodie. Trial data to come out today, actually. And this is only one of 3 front-runners! And there's something like 27 more in development. Human ingenuity will prevail, I have no doubt.

Here's some stuff about the Oxford one:
    Oxford vaccine: Early trials suggest “double protection” from coronavirus

Oxford COVID-19 vaccine may be available in two months, trial results today

Oxford COVID-19 vaccine phase 1 data expected today; Lancet editor's tweet triggers buzz in medical fraternity

More about antibodies and vaccines:
    Well, I am going to be the skeptic. Hope I am wrong. But the real world is different than trials and tests. It will most likely be a case of trial and error for finding the right vaccine that works for you personally. So, some people will do good on vaccine X, while other will take vaccine X, get the COVID and get sick or even die. Other's will do better on vaccine Y and so on.

Going to suck to a certain degree getting vaccinated and not knowing with more than 50/50 certainty if the vaccine is going to work or not.

I guess it's better than nothing...
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Why do you put some of your post in an indecipherable font color and some in white?
    I do not see the font color, sorry was not on purpose. I hope your right on the vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Well, I am going to be the skeptic. Hope I am wrong. But the real world is different than trials and tests. It will most likely be a case of trial and error for finding the right vaccine that works for you personally. So, some people will do good on vaccine X, while other will take vaccine X, get the COVID and get sick or even die. Other's will do better on vaccine Y and so on...
    Do you have anything to back this up?
    You say: "The real world indifferent than trials and tests" but then go on to say "It will most likely be a case of trial and error" So it isn't trials and tests like real scientists do, it is just trial and error? You know these folks have like real good microscopes and stuff right?

You do know why they do multiple rounds of trials to get this shit right, right? It's not just some anecdotal "My brother's coworkers cousin said he drank bleach and now he don't got no Covid at all! Y'all should totally try that and see if it works for you!". Shit, or maybe it is, I don't even know anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    That means avalanche path. Do you know what an avalanche path is, binky? It's like a place where there is so much snow, and it's really steep, the snow just slides down! You wouldn't know, I guess, you hike up mud and rocks in black fly infested Vermont, binky.
    Damn Benny. VT skis and stokes more in one season than you have in your life.
    Carry on VT. Keep on stoking!

What dude told me was that he took fragments of the spike protein and cultured it in some insect material medium that is sop and that's what I've read about the Moderna vaccine. I heard some talk of RNA but I don't know if it's as simple as a plug and play. I'm just a dood who got vaccinated and the opportunity came through Viva and I know Viva knows and that was good enough for me.
    Damn bro. Thx for volunteering.
    This is so new, its scary. Usually it’s years of trials. I take my hat off to the folks that step up for vaccine trials so early.
    . . .

Well, I am going to be the skeptic. Hope I am wrong. But the real world is different than trials and tests. It will most likely be a case of trial and error for finding the right vaccine that works for you personally. So, some people will do good on vaccine X, while other will take vaccine X, get the COVID and get sick or even die. Other's will do better on vaccine Y and so on.

Going to suck to a certain degree getting vaccinated and not knowing with more than 50/50 certainty if the vaccine is going to work or not.

I guess it's better than nothing...
    How is the real world different than trials and tests that are being done in the real world?

Phase 3 testing is a broad spectrum of people with varying backgrounds, pre-existing conditions, and all sorts of shit - done in the real world. They're doing this phase in places where the virus is spreading rapidly - so Brazil and I forget the other place is the target here. Started in May.

If a certain subset of the population is deemed to not be able to be given the vaccine, they won't get it. This is normal for all of them, isn't it? It's why anti-vaxxers are such a threat to the health of those who cannot otherwise have vaccines in a given population. The 50/50 success rate sounds kind of bonkers though, did you read that somewhere? I don't think that a vaccine would be deemed successful and fit for distribution with that poor viability. Can you actually get COVID from a vaccine??? That sounds pretty scary... I dunno man.

I'm down for reading up on this stuff though, if you've got some sources for that stuff you're talking about. I read the actual published report, and the thing works. Nobody got COVID, and it wasn't a 50/50 chance of working. True, I have no fucking clue what a Titre is, but still... Check it out: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...#seccestitle10

I mean, yeah it's hard, and this is a massive problem, but there's no reason not to believe that they're on the right track here. It's all very promising news!

"PEOPLE WONT ALL GET IT BECAUSE FREEDOM"
    This is one of the purest forms of Darwinism possible and could over the long term result in an increase in the average intelligence of the population.
    "Holy Cow!" someone exclaimed from the back of the stationwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    My fear right now is that Vail runs their projections and decides they should only open their busiest resorts. So maybe in CO that means Vail/Breck/Keystone but they leave Beaver Creek and Crested Butte closed all year. Hopefully I'm just being pessimistic.
    The busiest ski resort in the world is La Plagne in France, with ~2.5M visitors per season. 3 base areas, 11 villages. Never been there, I bet the liftlines are lovely.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Plagne

The USA's most visited resorts are: #1 Vail with 1,634,250 visitors, #2 Breck with 1,600,750. Then Mammoth, then Keystone at #4, with 1,036,000. After Steamboat, all the way down the list at #6, is Beaver Creek with 919,000.
    https://snowbrains.com/top-10-most-p...s-ski-resorts/

So, Vail and Beaver Creek are 7 miles apart, owned by the same corporation (Vail Resorts) and on the same (Epic) pass, but total 2,553,250 skier visits. Breck and Keystone are 10 miles apart, also owned by VR and Epic, totaling 2,636,750 skier visits.

Not quite apples to apples...but Breck/Keystone is the busiest ski resort in the world, followed by Vail/Beaver Creek, then La Plagne. VR would for sure open them in tandem, for all types of reasons, like transportation, employee housing, lodge/f&b staffing, etc. However, I think you may have a valid concern with CB.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Do you have anything to back this up?
    You say: "The real world indifferent than trials and tests" but then go on to say "It will most likely be a case of trial and error" So it isn't trials and tests like real scientists do, it is just trial and error? You know these folks have like real good microscopes and stuff right?

You do know why they do multiple rounds of trials to get this shit right, right? It's not just some anecdotal "My brother's coworkers cousin said he drank bleach and now he don't got no Covid at all! Y'all should totally try that and see if it works for you!". Shit, or maybe it is, I don't even know anymore.
    What do the drug companies have to back it up? They have a few small trials. Sure, let's go ahead and inject 7 billion people. It works! We tested 1,077 people and no one died and everyone is fine! Let's start exposing the volunteers to the virus and see how things go. Like I said, I'm taking the skeptics view point.

Besides, how many people get the flu shot every year and it works even 50% of the time?

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/2018-2019.html
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

What do the drug companies have to back it up? They have a few small trials. Sure, let's go ahead and inject 7 billion people. It works! We tested 1,077 people and no one died and everyone is fine! Let's start exposing the volunteers to the virus and see how things go. Like I said, I'm taking the skeptics view point.

Besides, how many people get the flu shot every year and it works even 50% of the time?

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/2018-2019.html
    You're not taking a skeptics point of view you're making things up and taking a non-scientific point of view.

The flu is caused by many different viruses. Every year scientists use facts and evidence (not pulling things out of their ass) to try to figure out which ones are going to make the global rounds, and develop a vaccine for 3-4 of them. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong. Even when they fuck up and people still get sick, often the symptom severity is dramatically reduced. The flu vaccine saves thousands of lives every year, and would save more if everyone went out and got it. Saying things like "the flu vaccine doesn't really work well" isn't just ignorant, it can be harmful.

Here you go: https://fullfact.org/online/coronavi...o-flu-vaccine/

I have full faith in the global scientific community, and when they say that something is safe and should be used, then I will believe them. I hope you do, too.

I gotta admit I waited a few years to get a flu shot thnking "I'll wait til they get the bugs out of it."
    Have since only ever gotten a flu shot one time, prior to this.
    Here's to hoping we all survive.