Page 32 of 62 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Sell fast. I know I know easy to say but short term? Looks bad...maybe rent it until things settle?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Yeah, sadly I can’t just make that decision on my own and the crazy would have to agree to do so.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Name:  Duplex Shelter punch cat.JPG
Views: 1590
Size:  50.9 KB

Coronavirus complaint/commiseration thread.

https://amp.jsonline.com/amp/3058575001

New research from the University of Wisconsin-Madison suggests that contrary to government guidelines, asthma may not put a person at increased risk for severe COVID-19, but may, in fact, offer some protection against it.
    I showed this and the earlier NYT article to my kids and just told them it was interesting and maybe they didn’t need to be quite so panicked about COVID. They told me it was fake news.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    They told me it was fake news.
    I love it. Wisdom from the mouth of babes
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Wallstrasse 28, Hessen, 35321, Laubach, Germany
    How is that possible? Only 4,633 people died in China. Where analysts say the origin of the virus in China.
    Is China hiding their death toll?

Yes. Russia, too.

But, then again, we are, too.

Meanwhile, this is a long line of cars waiting to spend ten bucks to get into a local couple hundreds acre "preserve" in the middle of upper Westchester. I just biked by two big parking lots almost full. Beautiful 70 degree day, I understand, but, where were all these people before all this? Now, suddenly, the bourgeoisie has discovered the simple pleasures of walking in nature? I'll bet it's the first time 85% have been to the place. It looked like the Walking Dead. Everybody staggering around in fresh sneakers. Go home! This used to be a cool traffic free shortcut.

Is that Ward Pound Ridge? That's the only public land that's not locked out for miles around. All of the Town of Lewisboro properties are blocked and everything else near Pound Ridge is too so unless you want to walk on streets that are close to regular traffic again it's the only game in town.

Did anyone else notice how Washington recorded its biggest spike in new cases in several weeks on Friday? That just happened to be 7 days after the ban on construction was lifted across the state. I'm sure there's no connection there.

Pathological liars, Republican sycophants and charlatans: that's the construction industry in a nutshell. Inslee should have told those walking, breathing scourges on the planet who populate that field to sit on their fucking hands for another month like everyone else. What a fucking pussy he was for caving to the deplorables. I thought he was doing a commendable job and was putting public health above avarice, but kowtowing to construction was unforgivable and shows just how broken his ethical compass really is.

^^^ We never closed our Construction activities here. Still a low infection rate.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Is that Ward Pound Ridge? That's the only public land that's not locked out for miles around. All of the Town of Lewisboro properties are blocked and everything else near Pound Ridge is too so unless you want to walk on streets that are close to regular traffic again it's the only game in town.
    Yup. The ranger told me some drove two hours to get there. I didnt realize it was the only game in town.

I hike up on Pine mountain, and that's turning into a shitshow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    ^^^ We never closed our Construction activities here. Still a low infection rate.
    And June 17 is the third Wednesday of that month this year. That statement is about as germane to my post as yours is.

Even as conservative as CA has been, most construction has been ongoing and we've had very few cases relatively speaking, especially up north. I think the warmer weather and people going out was probably the main cause to any increases.

The demographic distribution of cases here in WA indicates that it is spreading widely in the construction/landscaping industries.

Also, the complete lack of consideration for cleanliness, proper use of masks and social distancing that I observed out on most of the job sites I visited last week (including 5 guys carpooling to and from job sites together, sharing tools, etc) indicates to me that the industry can't handle the responsibility of working safely, and therefore should be shuttered again, at least until more rigorous guidelines are implemented and an enforcement mechanism is created.

Some places understand that you need to keep takers and users on a short leash:

Strict rules governing construction sites designed to slow the spread of COVID-19 are being broken only three days into a public health order that allows the work, city of Aspen officials said.
    “The most common violations are not wearing masks, not social distancing and carpooling,” City Engineer Trish Aragon said Wednesday.
    Managers of construction sites are required to sign off on a 13-page site safety plan that details numerous measures for workers to employ.
    Included in the rules are workers are not allowed to leave the site and visit grocery stores or area restaurants for take-out...

...Public health officials expect a spike in cases as a result, and are continuing to monitor cases at Aspen Valley Hospital in an effort to not overwhelm the health care system.
    If there is a spike in cases, public health orders can be amended to curtail activity...

...Aragon said enforcement and monitoring are being conducted through the police department, as well as staff in the building and parking departments.
    “Our most effective tool is shutting the site down,” she said of repeated violations.
    Enforcement will occur in a three step process, beginning with a verbal warning.
    The second measure is a corrective notice, which means that if an infraction is observed on a site that has received a verbal warning the general contractor has to submit an amendment to their safety plan within 48 hours.
    If city staff does not receive an amendment within 48 hours, the site will be shut down for 14 days.
    A third infraction leads to another 14-day shut down.

Aragon said it’s not just city staff watching construction sites, it’s also members of the public.
    “We’ve got 2,000 inspectors out there,” she said.
    Full article, if anyone is interested. I didn't want to post a wall of text or a blind quote, so I split the difference.
    https://www.aspentimes.com/news/local/city-of-aspen-to-crack-down-on-noncompliant-covid-19-construction-sites/

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Good to know. I almost went out of my way yesterday to go by the Lewisboro Town Park just to see if it was open for parking. Going by the Pound Ridge town park, it was open. Mt. Lakes park is accessible.

Our local preserve has been over run the last few weeks by persons not normally disposed to hiking or other outdoor activities. The amount of trash they leave on the trails and in the parking lot is disgusting.

Pathological liars, Republican sycophants and charlatans: that's the construction industry in a nutshell.
    And June 17 is the third Wednesday of that month this year. That statement is about as germane to my post as yours is.
    Pot meet kettle

Also, the complete lack of consideration for cleanliness, proper use of masks and social distancing that I observed out on most of the job sites I visited last week (including 5 guys carpooling to and from job sites together, sharing tools, etc) indicates to me that the industry can't handle the responsibility of working safely, and therefore should be shuttered again, at least until more rigorous guidelines are implemented and an enforcement mechanism is created.
    More fodder for your snark but there are not enforcement mechanisms in place here, just an understanding that if things get out of hand, expect to be shut down and out of work. So far that has been enough. On one of my sites, 10 members of a single sub-contractor tested positive. That sub and his workers were sent home for 2 weeks. That got the message across loud and clear.

Be curious to know what your function VS mine. Let me know if you want to chat via PM.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Interesting to see how the numbers change after this weekend. Been flatlined here at 146 cases for like 8 or 9 days. I saw quite a few people "social distancing" aka playing cornhole and getting hammered in their yards with 8-10 friends/family yesterday. I'm sure I sound like some crotchety old man. Huge portion of my neighbors are still in their 20s. The idea of doing something mellow with roomates or SOs only on a sunny Satuday in May is out of the question at that age. I get it.

The other thought.......based purely on nothing but armchair mountain people tough guy science.....is that it blew through a huge portion of the population here already? Well before it was on anyone's radar and months before testing was available anywhere within 1000 miles.

Why is it that nearly everyone I know from all different types of jobs. Construction, banking, real estate, food service, etc were all really sick with the "craziest 3 week cold and dry cough they ever had" in Dec/Jan/Feb?

::::adjusts tinfoil hat:::::

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Did anyone else notice how Washington recorded its biggest spike in new cases in several weeks on Friday? That just happened to be 7 days after the ban on construction was lifted across the state. I'm sure there's no connection there.

Pathological liars, Republican sycophants and charlatans: that's the construction industry in a nutshell. Inslee should have told those walking, breathing scourges on the planet who populate that field to sit on their fucking hands for another month like everyone else. What a fucking pussy he was for caving to the deplorables. I thought he was doing a commendable job and was putting public health above avarice, but kowtowing to construction was unforgivable and shows just how broken his ethical compass really is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Like MT, OR & CA did not shut down commercial/residential construction during the current SAH orders. From what I can see, WA is just aligning its construction practices with the others in the Western States Alliance (or whatever they call the five state compact) like they said they would.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post

Why is it that nearly everyone I know from all different types of jobs. Construction, banking, real estate, food service, etc were all really sick with the "craziest 3 week cold and dry cough they ever had" in Dec/Jan/Feb?

::::adjusts tinfoil hat:::::
    Look in the mirror, sounds to me like you are adjusting your dunce cap.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    We thought we had it end of feb.

Wife got AB testing last week. Negative.

Oh well. Not every flu can be rat flu
    . . .

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Look, I understand that people get sick in the winter on a normal year. At the time I knew one person (a maggot...a well known maggot) who was actually tuned in and saw this shit coming. At the time NO ONE else around here had any idea this thing was gonna make it to the USA or even knew it existed. So these people weren't biased by the news etc and thinking they had "it". Yet, around this time so many people I know, myself included, had a strange non-cold/non-flu, sicker than they had been in 10-20+ years 3+ week chest centered illness.

Many of these people had been in contact with Europeans and other international travelers whose only trip to the USA possibly 6 months was to the intermountain west ski areas and their second/third/fourth homes in places like YC/Jackson/etc.

I would love an actual scientist/epidemiologist to explain to me how it is "impossible" that a highly contagious virus with a long incubation period was carried by international travelers from Europe/Asia directly to high end resort areas in the intermountain west in December.

Yeah, I don’t know. Maybe you’re right. It seems to me that if a community had it we’d have seen some fairly clear evidence of it in the local nursing home, if nowhere else.

I’d be more inclined to believe there was something behind these anecdotes if the same anecdotes included stories of nursing homes being ravaged at around the same time. And I haven’t seen that.

Just conjecturing to your conjecture.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Look, I understand that people get sick in the winter on a normal year. At the time I knew one person (a maggot...a well known maggot) who was actually tuned in and saw this shit coming. At the time NO ONE else around here had any idea this thing was gonna make it to the USA or even knew it existed. So these people weren't biased by the news etc and thinking they had "it". Yet, around this time so many people I know, myself included, had a strange non-cold/non-flu, sicker than they had been in 10-20+ years 3+ week chest centered illness.

Many of these people had been in contact with Europeans and other international travelers whose only trip to the USA possibly 6 months was to the intermountain west ski areas and their second/third/fourth homes in places like YC/Jackson/etc.

I would love an actual scientist/epidemiologist to explain to me how it is "impossible" that a highly contagious virus with a long incubation period was carried by international travelers from Europe/Asia directly to high end resort areas in the intermountain west in December.
    Ok, here we go. We live in the same town and interact with same demographic including the fact that I have close friends who work at the YC/BS. In my house at any one time we have my daughter and I and my partner and her three kids (the youngest has fucked up asthma). My partner had the same stuff you had including the duration and the three kids had the "flu," I believe two tested positive. My daughter and I didn't catch it. At my partners ex's house is his elderly (high risk) mother. Neither of them got it. I'm not saying you're wrong just that my sample of one family contradicts yours. My partner thinks the same as you.

Asymptomatic ?

not an epidemiologist or an oligist of any kind
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Asymptomatic ?

not an epidemiologist or an oligist of any kind
    Like I and my daughter are? Sure, I'll take it but I'll need more info before I'd say that it's plausible.