Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Still running the early Roku. It gets clogged up and has to restart sometimes but I prefer it.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Google Fiber ends at the SLC city limits, I'm 2 houses outside the limits. I think they are expanding to entire neighborhoods now, and not just single houses so I haven't asked.
    is the centurylink competitive pricing available for you? I signed up for that before my house was wired for fiber and the service has been good enough I haven't bothered switching yet

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Damn. I just got off the phone with Verizon and keeping just internet doesn't make sense. We have an old router that is no longer supported so have to upgrade and have to upgrade the outside service box for a large one time fee. Between all of that and having to pay for at least one streaming service brings it to within a few dollars of what we're paying now for tv, phone and internet. They also won't let me just sign a new contract because of the old service box and unsupported router so just renewing will cost nearly $200 plus $198/mo. Comcast costs more and those are the only two choices. We were going to go with DirecTv last summer but the neighbor won't cut down a half dozen trees so we can't get a good line of sight. I can't wait for 5G to come here, it sure will be nice when there is another way to get internet that's reasonably fast and reliable without being tied to these legacy companies that have us by the balls.
    Did you check out Comcast internet only? Verizon Fios or DSL? (You mention an old router- Fios has an ONT device and you do not need any modem. Can provide and connect your own router to either the Verizon DSL modem, or the Fios ONT) for a single 1 time fee of purchasing a new router AC1900 or so depending on the speed and number of devices being connected.)

Also cutting the cord typically means you also do not have to sign up for long contract periods. You have internet and then can pick a streaming service for a few months, turn it off if you want something different or are not using it (like the summer time or just sign up for a service for a sports season only...

Comcast will cost considerably more because the coax cable from the nearest pole got torn out during a storm last year so we'd have to pay to have the house connected from the street. Then we need new work done at the house end to fix the damage when the wire got torn out.

Apparently our system is outdated so Verizon will have to upgrade the box on the outside of the house to the new high speed one and we'd need the router @$12/mo or we can buy our own. Replacing that outside box is a couple of hundred dollars.

The contract was if we don't cut it and stayed with the service we have now but that won't work well either. Due to the old equipment they won't give us a new contract without replacing that old stuff and they won't update stuff without a very large one time fee.

Expereinces with digital antennas? I'm working with a flat coastal area with TV stations 35-40 miles away. what I'm reading says indoor amplified should work fine -.

and another question. Do you get portability with Youtube sling tv etc. ? i.e. can I use it in differing cities for one price?
    Last edited by Marshall Tucker; 09-18-2019 at 07:13 AM.
    "Can't you see..."

Cutting the cable cord

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    Expereinces with digital antennas? I'm working with a flat coastal area with TV stations 35-40 miles away. what I'm reading says indoor amplified should work fine -.

and another question. Do you get portability with Youtube sling tv etc. ? i.e. can I use it in differing cities for one price?
    My 2 digital, very cheap, antennas work great. One in a suburb of Seattle, and another picks up a signal from a mountain about 20 miles away. Both are directional antennas. Sling works everywhere it’s allowed. (Didn’t work in China.). We use it in the car all the time for example.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Cutting the cable cord

PlayStation Vue announced they are dead as of Jan 30 2020

I just cancelled the monthly renewal, so next month I’ll want to replace with something else that gets me live sports & occasionally news

What’s the next best service to get ESPN, Fox Sports, NBCSports+ local channels & the college hoops channels (tnt, tbs, trutv)?
    Bonus for Olympic channel & reasonable DVR storage

We have Apple TV to run the service if that matters...

Sling orange/blue?

Fubo?

YouTube TV?

Hulu?

What are you using?

https://thestreamable.com/news/5-bes...ing-in-january

but seriously, what's with the name, AC?

Just a change...I’m a visual person
    Still answer to “ac”

An interesting looking but super annoying handle to reference. Cross post to things that annoy me. What was the previous?

this sites pretty good for free tv show/movie streams.

https://fmovies.wtf/home

combined with a good pop up blocker it works well.

i use "Taurus anti pop up browser" which you can get from the microsoft/xbox app store for 2 bucks. the browsers a little wonky but eliminates all pop ups.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post

I just cancelled the monthly renewal, so next month I’ll want to replace with something else that gets me live sports & occasionally news

What’s the next best service to get ESPN, Fox Sports, NBCSports+ local channels & the college hoops channels (tnt, tbs, trutv)?

Sling orange/blue?

Fubo?

YouTube TV?

Hulu?

What are you using?

Go to Suppose TV web site and look up the channels you listed and see which they recommend. If you are strickly looking at the most popular sports channels (ESPN, etc,) then Sling (Orange) is the best from the monthly price stand point.

Sling orange/blue?

Fubo?

YouTube TV?

Hulu?

What are you using?

We’ve been happy with YouTube tv. Made the switch about two months ago when they had a three week trial. I never felt the need to go back to cable even though I kept the cable active for a while. Finally cut the cord officially. I had tried a few of the others like Hulu live and wasn’t impressed with the user interface or picture quality.

I’m mostly using the app on smart Samsung and Sony TVs. Apple TV works fine. I tried a Roku to see if I like the user interface any better and the picture quality sucked. Not sure why.

~3 years w/ Sling blue+orange on Apple TV. Works fine except the app, (or whatever), isn’t very robust. Every few months or so we need to delete it and reload it or we get the spinning wheel of death. We have 50-90 mbps in one location and 2 mbps in another and get blurry picture pretty often at both. Obv. better at the faster speed place. Could be better, but for the money it’s pretty good. Nice to watch stuff on our phones too.

Quote Originally Posted by jerlane View Post
    YouTube tv
    Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Sling blue+orange on Apple TV
    Any other comments on usability or graphic interface?
    PSVue was pretty similar to a cable interface. Fairly easy to find stuff; or DVR stuff; or do multiview to see up to 4 channels at once (good during bowl season or final four)

The app was good for shows on the road...could even do up to 5 individual screens on the account.

Apple TV has a bit of a shitty remote, but it does synch with the phone for searching stuff you want to type or change channels

Just a change...I’m a visual person
    Still answer to “ac”
    Can we just refer to you as "multi colons"?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

YouTube TV allows 5 users on one account. I liked the interface on PS Vue better but I've gotten used to YT TV. Pretty sure you can take it on the road and update your location to get local channels. We use it on a Roku and picture quality is fine.

Glad we dumped PS Vue when they dropped NESN (Red Sox & Bruins games) last year. Had no idea they were getting out of the game.

Cutting the cable cord

We’re pretty happy with Hulu. Great picture quality, good selection of on demand (most everything popular), so if you don’t record something, no big deal. No clue if it hits all your channel needs, but it does for us and lots of sports. We could probably get rid of Netflix and be happy with the on-demand selection. We’d probably try YouTube TV instead, but their VPN detection is better which doesn’t work for us in Euro.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    YouTube TV allows 5 users on one account. I liked the interface on PS Vue better but I've gotten used to YT TV. Pretty sure you can take it on the road and update your location to get local channels. We use it on a Roku and picture quality is fine.

Glad we dumped PS Vue when they dropped NESN (Red Sox & Bruins games) last year. Had no idea they were getting out of the game.
    I use Hulu Live package and it carries all the major sports (except NESN). It will only store 50 hours (can upgrade to 200 hrs), but YT TV is unlimited. I find the Hulu interface a little cumbersome, but getting used to it.

Here's a good side by side comparison of the various players: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/youtube...ews-24578.html
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

We have YouTube TV. It’s been excellent. Run it off a Roku with a harmony remote and a surround setup. After about a year we bought a Roku TV and that’s been even better.

Tons of sports channels including Olympic channel, nbcsports and, very importantly, accnetwork. $50.

Unlimited DVR. 5 accounts. Just connect a Roku and you can watch on multiple TVs plus all laptops/phones etc.

Highly recommend to you, artist formally known as AC.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

We have Amazon Prime, NetFlix and Hulu, we were running an antenna for about 8 years and finnally got tired of moving the antenna from time to time. We recently switched to HuluTV and have been very happy with it.
    Click. Point. Chute.

I finally (and thoroughly enjoyed) tossing down the DirecTV Dish after about a year and a half with HULU on (3) AppleTVs, computers, iPhones & iPads, plus my son uses it on his devices elsewhere. We've had Netflix longer and are considering dropping it due to low use and not impressed with the movie content vs the DVDs we used to get.

HULU has been generally fine with 7Mbps Wireless internet, but HULU has been glitching out a bunch lately. Nothing really has changed from our end to affect anything. The audio drops out, long pauses, skipping, freezing and other annoyances. Sometime rebooting the system and AppleTV cleans out the cobwebs and everything seems fine for a while. Other times not so much. This can be happening when nothing else is connected but one AppleTV. Anyone else? Other than trying out a 15Mpbs option, where else could we troubleshoot?
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Any other comments on usability or graphic interface?

Apple TV has a bit of a shitty remote
    For me...it works fine. I never watch 4 things at once. I set up “my channels” and slide through those. I don’t really want it to do much more than this. There is a recording option that we don’t use/pay for, we just Hulu up whatever we wanted to see (like SNL on Sunday morning over coffee). It looks like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1362.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	301740

I like the Apple remote a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post

I like the Apple remote a lot.
    The Apple Remote is handy. You can add multiple AppleTVs and control all of them. When inputting passwords or searches, it’s easier typing on the phone.

Another useful add is an HDMI splitter to run more than one TV off of one AppleTV.

Sent via iPhone
    Slidewright.com
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Ok I’ll play since I’m going through this right now. Had Fios for a few years and thought it was good but I’m tired of all the fees and sick of paying taxes and rentals for boxes.

Trying google tv on a Sony with android OS installed. It’s not as great as cable but since I only watch a few things it’s good enough.

Apple TV is something we’ve been using for a few years mostly for content for our kids. I’m more familiar with Apple OS in general but find it much more intuitive to use than android os with the Sony / google remote. If given the choice between same apps (Netflix, amazon prime etc. ) I would rather use the Apple TV.

I plan on switching to xfinity plan with internet only from fios. Currently using both just to see which one I like.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums